General Dynamics F-111 STGB Chat

trickyrich

On 4/22/2017 at 10:24 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

By crikey! Have fun in the South China Sea Rich - stay safe :).

I have a quick help request question for the BM massif....

I've stalled at a very early hurdle with my Hasegawa 1/72 F-111G. It arrived with no decals at all, so I managed to get an aftermarket set via another Britmodeller last year.

Now I have another decal issue - the instrument and side panels are supposed to be decals - but I have none. There are even separate decals listed as being on the original sheet for Australian F-111G's. These are decals numbers 41 to 45 on the sheet:

IMG_6690.jpg

I wondered - anyone building the 'C' version, if your decal sheet has the extra instrument panel decals for the 'G' could I possibly beg/steal/borrow them? I'll pay for postage etc. Even a scan would be useful and I could try printing them here; even on to paper - it's better than nothing :). I don't even mind of someone has decals from another version - it will look better than nothing - it's my first F-111 and I won't be trying to bring it to the level of detail of many here, just trying to finish it and hope it looks respectable enough for Mrs. T. to let me display it.

Many thanks and happy Sunday,

Tony 'stuck at step 1' Tiger

I'm using this same kit (0952), and it was purchased new. The only decal sheet provided did NOT have any instrument panel or console decals labelled 41-45 as shown on the F-111G instruction sheet addendum. The cockpit decals on the included sheet are labelled 72-76, and these are shown on the F-111C instruction sheet. I noticed this as soon as I started working on the cockpit.

If this situation is normal, I'm afraid that no one will have any extras...sorry. I suppose there's always a chance that Hasegawa left them out of my kit, and that they really are out there. But I suspect that it's just a snafu on the part of Hasegawa.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hewy said:

Hello rob,thanks for your help, but I'm a bit confused ,hobby boss's instructions show the alq-119 pod and the alq-131 but the 119 looks like the 131 in my reference book heres the pictures below, hb,s instructions I'm thinking are wrong here, i believe wwhat hb is calling the alq-119 is actually the 131

20170424_140201_zpsu1vimipd.jpg

And a picture out of the reference book

Thanks

Glynn

Joining the choir, yes, they have the labels reversed.  If you choose to use the 119, make sure to get a picture - they were white and black, not OD green.  The main radomes were front and back, and on the front of the underhang - but there were some other spots I don't accurately recall.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2017 at 11:43 AM, Navy Bird said:

I'm doing a "B" - I just haven't started it yet. I'll be converting the Hasegawa 1:72 F-111C/G kit.

Cheers,

Bill

I have the 1966 Revell 1/72 kit that can be built as an A or a B - I'm not going to use the B radome, if you want it.

3 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

Joining the choir, yes, they have the labels reversed.  If you choose to use the 119, make sure to get a picture - they were white and black, not OD green.  The main radomes were front and back, and on the front of the underhang - but there were some other spots I don't accurately recall.

White and black ,would that be even  in the early 90s rob on op proven force ,,thanks, 

Glynn

28 minutes ago, Hewy said:

White and black ,would that be even  in the early 90s rob on op proven force ,,thanks, 

Glynn

By the 90's they were using the 131 pod.  IIRC, we phased out the 119 in 1982, so I don't believe it was ever used in combat.  That doesn't mean we never used them for real, it just means nobody talks about it - I remember one specific occasion where we launched missions from Sigonella across to Libya to see just how good their defenses were.  In any case, by the time Eldorado Canyon came along the 131 was the only pod in use on USAF 111's.

Reminiscence follows - Loading those things was a pain, unless you were the one driving the jammer.  We had (at least) three people to do it - the jammer driver, and two spotters.  When the jet is fully fueled, it's really low to the ground, and the underside is sticky and greasy - crawling under there and prepping the pylon and removing the cover for the cable was guaranteed to leave you a mess, not to mention the snap on cannon plug you had to get connected properly after it was hung, with no space for your hands.  On the other hand, the jammer was a blast to drive, with rear wheel drive and steering, and this was the only time us avionics guys got to do it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

I have the 1966 Revell 1/72 kit that can be built as an A or a B - I'm not going to use the B radome, if you want it.

Thanks for the offer, but I have the Pete's Hangar conversion set, plus the old Revell kit as well. I think I'll be OK. I've started the WIP thread - have a look if you have a chance.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

And time for another update: (EDIT: now up to end April)

1/72: 14 builds, 2 ESCI rest Hasegawa. 

F-111A (x3), B conversion, C (x5), D, E (x2), F, G (Australian)

1/48: 11 builds, 5 Academy (including 1 Italeri), 6 Hobby Boss.

F-111C (x4 including test and recon), E (x2), F, FB-111 (x3), EF-111

and honorable mention 1/50 desktop model restoration, F-111C

Edited by gingerbob
adding Mark Turk's
  • Like 1

thanks Bob. :thumbsup:

now we just need someone to build a 1/48th A & D model and we've got the lot covered in both scales!

Unfortunately the ones in 1/144th are really old and from what a gather not much good! OzMods were planning to do one and I think they got to the mastering stage, but don't know what happened from there. It's not listed on their website, but they do some resin conversion sets for the old Arii monstrosity!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2017 at 8:48 PM, Antoine said:

Sorry, a bit OT, but...

Funny, same age, same year, same way (Basic para training), different country.

:)

Small world - done a French Para course, jumping from C160 Transals at Gap in 1988 much fun in the French Alps!

• Like 1

I have a question for you F-111 experts. I'm building 151972, one of the F-111B prototypes. I'm using the Hasegawa 1:72 kit. Now, 151972 was not equipped with the deployable glove vanes, so I'll be gluing them shut on this model. Have any of you ever done that with the Hasegawa kit, and if you did will the wings still be able to be added later? Or do the wings need to be installed prior to gluing the glove vanes closed? It looks like I can add the wings later, but I figured I should ask. Thanks!

Cheers,

Bill

7 hours ago, Hardtarget said:

Bill, you can plug in the wings Sat any point. If you want to cement the vanes in you can and the wings will sell fix into place In the fully open configuration.

Thanks - that's what I figured, but the verification is good. Of course, this brings up the next issue - with the glove slats closed, there is interference with the inboard portion of the leading edge slats. Which is correct, the wing slats were only deployed with wings forward when the glove was open. That was one of the reasons for the glove slats - to allow longer wing slats. On these early F-111B models, the wing slat was a bit shorter on the inboard end. Oh well, what's a little more modification to the kit?   :)

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Im not sure there will be interferrance, see my last post of my build. I've got to add them but it looks like there might just be enough. Failing that its only a bit of cutting and sticking.

7 hours ago, Hardtarget said:

Hi Bill,

Im not sure there will be interferrance, see my last post of my build. I've got to add them but it looks like there might just be enough. Failing that its only a bit of cutting and sticking.

Thanks. I taped the glove vane and its lower door in the closed position and slid in the wing. The glove covers 4-5 mm of the slat recess on the wing. I don't think it's a big problem, though. I just have to shorten the inboard end of the wing slat by that much. I probably don't even have to worry about modifying the wing recess at all, since it will be covered up by the glove and the wing slat.

Next up is building that weird linkage that the aft main gear door used on the F-111B. Couldn't be a simple hinge like all other F-111s - had to be this crazy parallelogram thingy.

Cheers,

Bill

Much of the benefit of the addition of the rotating glove from a lift standpoint was the extension of the inboard slat farther inboard. So for 972, you have to scribe a new end to that slat at the juncture of the wing leading edge and the leading edge of the fixed section of the wing.

22 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks - that's what I figured, but the verification is good. Of course, this brings up the next issue - with the glove slats closed, there is interference with the inboard portion of the leading edge slats. Which is correct, the wing slats were only deployed with wings forward when the glove was open. That was one of the reasons for the glove slats - to allow longer wing slats. On these early F-111B models, the wing slat was a bit shorter on the inboard end. Oh well, what's a little more modification to the kit?   :)

Cheers,

Bill

I know that this question has already been answered but if  you look at my build you will see that I have glued the wing gloves in the closed position, and will soon be cutting the slot so that the wings can be in the folded position. So yes the wings can be added much later, as I will be adding mine after I have painted them.

46 minutes ago, Jabba said:

I know that this question has already been answered but if  you look at my build you will see that I have glued the wing gloves in the closed position, and will soon be cutting the slot so that the wings can be in the folded position. So yes the wings can be added much later, as I will be adding mine after I have painted them.

I always thought it odd that Hasegawa provided a slot in the inboard section of the wing to allow fully swept wings, but didn't include alternate parts for the side of the fuselage that the wing recedes into. And I don't think any aftermarket sets have appeared for this, at least none that I'm aware of. It's not a big modification on the part of the modeller, but still strange. I know the F-111 looks great with the slats and flaps down, but it just looks so sleek with the wings back.

Cheers,

Bill

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I always thought it odd that Hasegawa provided a slot in the inboard section of the wing to allow fully swept wings, but didn't include alternate parts for the side of the fuselage that the wing recedes into. And I don't think any aftermarket sets have appeared for this, at least none that I'm aware of. It's not a big modification on the part of the modeller, but still strange. I know the F-111 looks great with the slats and flaps down, but it just looks so sleek with the wings back.

Cheers,

Bill

The other strange thing is that there is a picture on the instructions (well on the F-111E anyway) that shows the model with the wings swept. Yes there is no aftermarket solution and it is quite a simple modification to carry out, well it must be as I have done it 3 times now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well as scary as it sounds we are pretty much at the halfway point of this STGB! We have yet to have a beastie in the galley but there are a couple very close to being there. All the builds are really good with a couple of standouts, so well done everyone!!  :thumbsup:

We have all the models covered now except for the exotic NASA ones with the special wings. I haven't done a count but we must be very close to having a 50/50 split between 1/72nd and 1/48th scale models, which I think is a bit unusual for a STGB. There is a lot of love for a big F-111......pity the manufactories didn't think the same and give us decent model in this scale.

I do hope to get back to mine in about 10 days or so, will be nice to be back on shore! Am currently bobbing around in the northern part of the Banda Sea (in Indonesia above Timor), we're being refuelled/resupplied at the moment. These were taken off the coast of the northern coast of the Philippines, super cool sunsets at sea. Plus for the nautical types I'm now officially a "Shellback", we crossed the equator last Friday.

Ichthy%20Evening%20Pano%203ss_zpsobk6gmd

Ichthy%20Evening%20Pano%201ss_zpsht18u4c

• Like 4

Hello folks,

I'm hospital at the moment so not modelling but, for when I get out;

I posted this before but no luck, but just wanted to try again.

I have the Hasegawa 1/72 F-111G and I'm stalled at the very first step.

It didn't come with the instrument panel (well, any) decals. The sheet is supposed to have  different decals for C/G panels, but I would be happy with any spares of any kind anyone has?

Even if you could scan me your spare etc so I could print it out on eg paper or try decal paper that would be great.

I can't see how to tackle this 'glass' style panel without the decal :hmmm: .

Any help reallly most gratefully received, given time restraints it will be straight OOB!

Please send me a PM or write here.

All best regards

TonyT

• 2 weeks later...

well after 6 weeks away I'm finally back, coming from the warmth of the tropics to cold Sydney!

It's nice to see the progress everyones made, there should be few going into the gallery very shortly I think. I had almost forgotten how bad my one was.......and being away from it didn't improve things either!

Am having all sorts of fun with the new VacForm canopy, while it's basic shape appears to be right I think It maybe a wee bit too small! I my have to carefully move some panel lines to help mask these issues. I'll have an update shortly...plus I've sort of rebuilt the Recon bay again as well!.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...