General Dynamics F-111 STGB Chat

trickyrich

7 hours ago, Muzz said:

It was 2am when I asked however guilty as charged ;)

Seriously, thanks Muzz and Arnie, the FS matches do help. All the Ravens I have seen appear to be very light in colour with the lower FS36492 looking almost white, especially when they have been stored in AMARG for a few years. The kit instructions are suspect, they list the top side correctly as Dark Compass Ghost Grey, Humbrol 128, but frustratingly no Vallejo match however I do have a Vallejo 'Air War Color Series' set which contains FS36320. However for the FS36492 under side they list Humbrol 127 which is US Ghost Grey and Humbrol list as FS36375 and I think is too dark. So it might well be Humbrol 40 or Xtracolor 147 as suggested in the Britmodeller thread.

Michael

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ghostbase said:

It was 2am when I asked however guilty as charged ;)

Seriously, thanks Muzz and Arnie, the FS matches do help. All the Ravens I have seen appear to be very light in colour with the lower FS36492 looking almost white, especially when they have been stored in AMARG for a few years. The kit instructions are suspect, they list the top side correctly as Dark Compass Ghost Grey, Humbrol 128, but frustratingly no Vallejo match however I do have a Vallejo 'Air War Color Series' set which contains FS36320. However for the FS36492 under side they list Humbrol 127 which is US Ghost Grey and Humbrol list as FS36375 and I think is too dark. So it might well be Humbrol 40 or Xtracolor 147 as suggested in the Britmodeller thread.

Michael

a few brands do FS36492 just have to look around

Update: (and including Tony, next post- late update: and another!)

1/72: 12 builds, 2 ESCI rest Hasegawa. 

F-111A (x3), B conversion, C (x4), D, E, F, G (Australian)

1/48: 11 builds, 5 Academy (including 1 Italeri), 6 Hobby Boss.

F-111C (x4 including test and recon), E (x2), F, FB-111 (x3), EF-111

and honorable mention 1/50 desktop model restoration, F-111C

Funny, this- you'd think we're on Aussie Modeller with all the Cs (and a G)!  [Edit: No, I've got nothing against Australian ones- as long as they have the long wings I'm happy ;)]

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 5

Hello everyone.

It has been a long time since I volunteered for this one.

Just to indicate; I'm still in. It looks like I'll be filling in a missing letter from above.

Mine will be a work-a-day F-111G of RAAF Amberley, circa 2002.

I will be using the Hasegawa 1/72 kit, bit with NovaScale decals to make a less flamboyant, everyday machine.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Im late coming into this one - I will post a subject soon! Born and raised in Lakenheath, the Vark is close to my heart - I saw the first wave arrive and the last wave depart. I was also a tender 16 year old, home on leave from Jnr PARA (British Army basic training for what was the Junior Army) on that fateful night, 14 April 1986. I watched from my back garden as the Wing launched 24 fully armed jets - thinking that WW3 had started. I could also see lots of activity in the sky over Mildenhall....tankers departing for the task. 

I have an Italeri 1/48 kit and some aftermarket Verlinden Pave Tac/LBG PE etc as well as various decals. 

Now can anyone tell me what the bombs are in the update kit? I would build inflight so some of the PE would be wasted, ive never really done much tbh! Now the raid saw either 4 x GBU10/E or 12 x MK82 Air Retarded (Snakeye?) carried.

would the bombs in the verlinden kit do the job ( I need 4)? I have looked at aftermarket GBU10s at at £10 a pair a bit crazy for 4! Do any of the other kits offer the bombs (maybe cheaper to buy another kit), or does anyone know any kits that would have 4 x GBU10s?  Even the Hase kits only have 2.

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

$_58.JPG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Now can anyone tell me what the bombs are in the update kit? I would build inflight so some of the PE would be wasted, ive never really done much tbh! Now the raid saw either 4 x GBU10/E or 12 x MK82 Air Retarded (Snakeye?) carried.

would the bombs in the verlinden kit do the job ( I need 4)? I have looked at aftermarket GBU10s at at £10 a pair a bit crazy for 4! Do any of the other kits offer the bombs (maybe cheaper to buy another kit), or does anyone know any kits that would have 4 x GBU10s?  Even the Hase kits only have 2.

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Hi Tim

The bombs in the kit appear to be GBU-10's, so you'd be fine with them. There's an outside chance they could be GBU-16's (hard to judge size in the photo) but considering the kit is a update set for the F-111 I'm 99% sure they'll be GBU-10's.

Murray

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

Hi Tim

The bombs in the kit appear to be GBU-10's, so you'd be fine with them. There's an outside chance they could be GBU-16's (hard to judge size in the photo) but considering the kit is a update set for the F-111 I'm 99% sure they'll be GBU-10's.

Murray

Thanks Murray - yep they look about right, but missing the receiver from the nose?

ed648172_1.jpg

I could of course get me a Revell F15E and use the bombs for the same price as the aftermarket!

1-HN-Ac-Revell-F15E-Strike-Eagle-1.48.jp

Am looking at EF111A Options from El Dorado canyon.

My research tells me that callsigns Harpo 71,72,73,74 with airborne spare 75 were used.

F111 Net says that Harpo71 was 67-0041 - it mentions Harpo 73 as being 66-0033 but a bit ambiguous....

Any experts know what EF1112A serials flew on that night?

On 17.4.2017 at 11:44 AM, Tim Moff said:

Hi,

nice to have actually seen them fly I guess.... I think I never really had my chance, (save going to the other side of the earth of course 7 years ago!)

the Mk-82s were chute retarded, not Snakeyes

1280px-F-111F_dropping_high-drag_bombs.j

I'd say the Verlinden bombs are fine to go.

the Revell one lack a bit of detail, but for sure is the most economic solution. Hasegawa weaponsset might be as well, depending if you want to use the other stuff coming with it!

can't think of another kit coming with decent GBU-10s at the moment :(

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

My research tells me that callsigns Harpo 71,72,73,74 with airborne spare 75 were used.

F111 Net says that Harpo71 was 67-0041 - it mentions Harpo 73 as being 66-0033 but a bit ambiguous....

you info matches the one provided by Libyan Air Wars Part 3 , says as well that Harpo 72 had some malfaunction and was only used as a stand-off jammer.

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:59 PM, Tim Moff said:

I found my instructions for the Afterburner F-111F decal sheet last night after I had shut my computer down and it has a list of all the aircraft that took part in this Op including the EF-111As. I will put them up when I get on my computer tonight.

• Like 1

Tim I think that I misread your post, and I thought that the Karma callsign aircraft were the ones that you wanted, but these do seem to be F-111Fs. But I have had a look through some of my books that I am using on my build and in the Crowood book it states the following.

" 66-030, 66-033, 66-057, 67-034, 67-041 and 67-052. This number included one ground spare. Five took off, including the air spare. In the target area three were directly involved in SEAD activity and a fourth was held in reserve in the operational area."

I know that this is probably not quite the answer that you require, but I hope that it is a little help.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Tim I think that I misread your post, and I thought that the Karma callsign aircraft were the ones that you wanted, but these do seem to be F-111Fs. But I have had a look through some of my books that I am using on my build and in the Crowood book it states the following.

" 66-030, 66-033, 66-057, 67-034, 67-041 and 67-052. This number included one ground spare. Five took off, including the air spare. In the target area three were directly involved in SEAD activity and a fourth was held in reserve in the operational area."

I know that this is probably not quite the answer that you require, but I hope that it is a little help.

Thats really helpful - thanks very much for going to the trouble !

On 17/04/2017 at 11:44 AM, Tim Moff said:

I was also a tender 16 year old, home on leave from Jnr PARA (British Army basic training for what was the Junior Army) on that fateful night, 14 April 1986.

Sorry, a bit OT, but...

Funny, same age, same year, same way (Basic para training), different country.

:)

• Like 1

Everyone looks to be forging ahead with their builds and maybe a few more to join in as well.

I am on board the "SS Minnow" now and hopefully ones they've removed the rest of the Tribbles we'll be under sail on Tuesday. I have internet at the moment but it's not the best and once in the middle of the Sth China sea it'll probably be crap. So if I appear to go missing for a few days it's just due to lack of internet, I'll look at everyones threads when I can but I probably won't be able to comment. My "3 hour" cruise is actually around 40 days travel at a frantic pace of 3kts!

oh and here's the beast, the two huge elevators in the front have gone now and it's been turned around.

IMG_0894_zpsmtzepqbp.jpg

Back on subject, I do have a quick question re the replacement VacForm canopy for the HB monsters canopy. Is the incorrect shape on the HB canopy just restricted to the fixed part or does it include the "doors" as well? I'm wondering if I keep the doors, I plan to have them open, would that disguise any issue with them. If I'm right in what I've read the VacForm canopy needs higher sills. Using the Vac front and kit doors would save me a lots of extra work with having the doors open. I do hate working with Vac canopies!!

• Like 2

By crikey! Have fun in the South China Sea Rich - stay safe :).

I have a quick help request question for the BM massif....

I've stalled at a very early hurdle with my Hasegawa 1/72 F-111G. It arrived with no decals at all, so I managed to get an aftermarket set via another Britmodeller last year.

Now I have another decal issue - the instrument and side panels are supposed to be decals - but I have none. There are even separate decals listed as being on the original sheet for Australian F-111G's. These are decals numbers 41 to 45 on the sheet:

IMG_6690.jpg

I wondered - anyone building the 'C' version, if your decal sheet has the extra instrument panel decals for the 'G' could I possibly beg/steal/borrow them? I'll pay for postage etc. Even a scan would be useful and I could try printing them here; even on to paper - it's better than nothing :). I don't even mind of someone has decals from another version - it will look better than nothing - it's my first F-111 and I won't be trying to bring it to the level of detail of many here, just trying to finish it and hope it looks respectable enough for Mrs. T. to let me display it.

Many thanks and happy Sunday,

Tony 'stuck at step 1' Tiger

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I do have a quick question re the replacement VacForm canopy for the HB monsters canopy. Is the incorrect shape on the HB canopy just restricted to the fixed part or does it include the "doors" as well?

Rich, part of the problem is that the bow at the rear end of the windscreen is vertical (on HB) where it should be perpendicular to the sill line.  Thus the clamshells are wrong too.  I wonder if it might be possible to shave back the kit clamshells- you'd then have to restore the frame around the "see-through" part.  Since the windscreen is flat-wrap (single-axis curve) you could possibly make your own windscreen from something.  You would still have to raise the sill some.

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

Rich, part of the problem is that the bow at the rear end of the windscreen is vertical (on HB) where it should be perpendicular to the sill line.  Thus the clamshells are wrong too.  I wonder if it might be possible to shave back the kit clamshells- you'd then have to restore the frame around the "see-through" part.  Since the windscreen is flat-wrap (single-axis curve) you could possibly make your own windscreen from something.  You would still have to raise the sill some.

Thanks for that Bob, I really now wish I could rush down to my dungeon and check it out, but now have 5-6 weeks to ponder the subject!!!

I've just been looking at some older builds of this aircraft and the canopy issues, in some photos it really does stand out. The vacform replacement should help but even that needs a little bit of work.

Plus for my vintage RF-111C I need to give the windows a slight "gold" tint. At that time we still had aircraft the special "Nuc Flash" coating on their windows. They were replaced as required, so for a while we have a real mix of screens on aircraft. Plus unless they were brand new screens they were scratched. A bucket of water and a rag was all that was used to clean them......to clear the aircraft on Friday afternoon we just took a rag and pushed in the fuel sample points (something I need to remember to add) to get some AvTur to clean the aircraft. Long before OH&S days!! :D

On 4/11/2017 at 8:51 AM, Hewy said:

Does any one know, the type and location of the "an/alq pod" on the f-111e around the time of operation proven force, I'll  be inclined to go with the 131 if i can't find any defining proof, cheers

Glynn

Dunno about Upper Heyford, but at Lakenheath we used ALQ-119 pods on the F models until about 1982.  White with black radomes, v16 or 17 (had a little hump under the forward end), and mounted aft between the engines.  

• Like 1

On 21/04/2017 at 8:31 PM, Robert said:

Hardtarget, how about doing the Bicentennial F-111E. No one has chosen that one yet.

I've decided to to a C version using a standard c box with decals for the 2007 RAAF retirement scheme.

6 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

Dunno about Upper Heyford, but at Lakenheath we used ALQ-119 pods on the F models until about 1982.  White with black radomes, v16 or 17 (had a little hump under the forward end), and mounted aft between the engines.  

Hello rob,thanks for your help, but I'm a bit confused ,hobby boss's instructions show the alq-119 pod and the alq-131 but the 119 looks like the 131 in my reference book heres the pictures below, hb,s instructions I'm thinking are wrong here, i believe wwhat hb is calling the alq-119 is actually the 131

20170424_140201_zpsu1vimipd.jpg

And a picture out of the reference book

20170424_140429_zpsavtmlzyj.jpg

Thanks

Glynn

With Hobby Boss' reputation for "accuracy"...I'd run with your reference info.  A Google image search shows the 131 as the shorty, which coincides with your reference material.  So I'd go with that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

Hello rob,thanks for your help, but I'm a bit confused ,hobby boss's instructions show the alq-119 pod and the alq-131 but the 119 looks like the 131 in my reference book heres the pictures below, hb,s instructions I'm thinking are wrong here, i believe wwhat hb is calling the alq-119 is actually the 131

20170424_140201_zpsu1vimipd.jpg

And a picture out of the reference book

20170424_140429_zpsavtmlzyj.jpg

Thanks

Glynn

Yes HB have got the pods transposed, and you are correct with the references.

• Like 2