General Dynamics F-111 STGB Chat

trickyrich

17 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day Ralph,

You just need to build it OOB. The ALE-47 CMDS system was only added after the jets went grey. The original analog IP and weapons bay gun fairing are included so no probs there, but the gun was soon ditchedin favour of the PT pod, so you will need to source one of those if you don't want to depict a gun toting pig.

Your biggest issue will be decals for an SEA camo pig. You you use the stencil data from a USAF  F-111 in SEA camo, but the RAAF and Squadron  specific decals will be harder,

cheers,

Pappy

Sounds like more fuss than I'm ready for. 

So whats the big issue with the HB kit (besides the price)?

The biggest one is the misshaped windscreen (especially) and canopy (see my build thread for some comparison).  They also screwed up the exhausts (see Rich's photos one page back). 

On the plus side, they give a weapons bay and full depth main gear well (not perfectly shaped, but I'm not sure how much one will be able to see with that big gear plank and the even bigger main gear door in the way).  They also have the wing set up for "everything out", which isn't an unusual way to see an F-111.

For F-111 obsessives (and I don't think there's anything wrong with that!) there are a host of other points, but to me those are the most obvious.

bob

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SoftScience said:

So whats the big issue with the HB kit (besides the price)?

Well for the C model which I'm interested in, they really didn't put a lot of effort into researching it, they just seemed to cobble bit's from the A and FB models, throw in some decals and charge a small fortune! 

Moulded details all over the place that don't exist, IP's that don't seem to match any aircraft type, exhaust nozzles that are wrong, intakes which have errors in shape, flaps that are not correct, wheels that appear to be on the small/thin side, the canopy shape which I'm lead to believe is wrong (I haven't actually bothered to check this one out yet), and there's probably some other stuff I've forgotten as well.

The decals, well they're for the later Grey version and are more suited to the G model, as an after thought they needed a second colour scheme and thought they'd try for the older SEA colour scheme. The colours for the SEA decals don't look right and to supply black stencils to go on the black surface!!! 5 minutes on the web and you could produce better decals then the kit supplied.

This stuff is fixable but for a model that can cost close to $100 AUD  you don't want to have to spend that much again to correct it. Plus it's meant to be, if you believe the reviews, the pick of them if you want to build a C model......under the proviso that it's not and early Pre-pave Tack model else there's even more work to do!

All my ranting aside, I want an early C model Recon bird similar to what I worked on in the mid 80's. I know there is some work required to do this and really it's just a little bit extra work for me. But it shouldn't have had to be this much, I'm not a "rivet counter" by any means, but some of these errors standout like Dog ........."bits"!  That said again, everything is correctable, and for a long term project you could probably be able to turn out something amazing and very accurate! 

Oh and Bob's 100% right there, I forgot the only big plus, masses of weapons as well.....even if half of them were never used by the RAAF and the BRU's are wrong.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

The biggest one is the misshaped windscreen (especially) and canopy (see my build thread for some comparison).  They also screwed up the exhausts (see Rich's photos one page back). 

On the plus side, they give a weapons bay and full depth main gear well (not perfectly shaped, but I'm not sure how much one will be able to see with that big gear plank and the even bigger main gear door in the way).  They also have the wing set up for "everything out", which isn't an unusual way to see an F-111.

For F-111 obsessives (and I don't think there's anything wrong with that!) there are a host of other points, but to me those are the most obvious.

bob

For the down side of the weapons is that with the FB-111 they don't give you the SRAM's, nuclear bombs and extra drop tanks that were often used.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Does any one know, the type and location of the "an/alq pod" on the f-111e around the time of operation proven force, I'll  be inclined to go with the 131 if i can't find any defining proof, cheers

Glynn

• Like 1

Just in case anyone is curious, as of right now here's our avowed tally:

1/72: 9 builds, 2 ESCI rest Hase. 

F-111A (x3), C (x3), D, E, F

1/48: 10 builds, 4 Academy (including 1 Italeri), 6 Hobby Boss.

F-111C (x3 including test and recon), E (x2), F, FB-111 (x3), EF-111

and honorable mention 1/50 desktop model restoration, F-111C

What, no B?!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Just in case anyone is curious, as of right now here's our avowed tally:

1/72: 9 builds, 2 ESCI rest Hase. 

F-111A (x3), C (x3), D, E, F

1/48: 10 builds, 4 Academy (including 1 Italeri), 6 Hobby Boss.

F-111C (x3 including test and recon), E (x2), F, FB-111 (x3), EF-111

and honorable mention 1/50 desktop model restoration, F-111C

What, no B?!

I'm doing a "B" - I just haven't started it yet. I'll be converting the Hasegawa 1:72 F-111C/G kit.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

Does any one know, the type and location of the "an/alq pod" on the f-111e around the time of operation proven force, I'll  be inclined to go with the 131 if i can't find any defining proof, cheers

Glynn

The ALQ pod was carried on it own small pylon to the rear of the main gear, both 119 and 131 were carried but you need a photo to be sure...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

The ALQ pod was carried on it own small pylon to the rear of the main gear, both 119 and 131 were carried but you need a photo to be sure...

Thanks shaun, i am searching, although the aircraft  I'm building is from the early 90s and I've learnt that the 119 was mostly phased out by then ,but your right a photo would be ideal cheers 

Glynn

3 minutes ago, Shaun said:

The Hobby boss A-10  and A-7 kits have these shallow pod in 1/48th..

sprue8.jpg

Iv just rummaged through the hobby boss kit shaun and I'm in luck,there's a shallow 131 pod in there amongst the weapons sprues, i shall utilise that

Thanks

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I'm doing a "B" - I just haven't started it yet. I'll be converting the Hasegawa 1:72 F-111C/G kit.

Cheers,

Bill

Phew! I was thinking of doing a 'B' using the ancient Revell kit but will happily take a backseat now!

Cheers,

Dermot

8 hours ago, gingerbob said:

A basic question- the last "part" of the tailpipe- does it move at all, or is it just a fixed "nozzle"?

I'm not 100% sure but I think they were fixed, I can't see any actuators on the photos of this area. They appear to be made up in a "petal" arrangement. 

F-111 exhaust

In this photo you can see there is a very sight gap between each petal, I suspect this is to allow for expansion as it gets hot, so there appears to be some tiny movement in them but not controlled movement.

Hopefully an engine person has the proper answer. 

20 hours ago, gingerbob said:

A basic question- the last "part" of the tailpipe- does it move at all, or is it just a fixed "nozzle"?

I would strongly think so....

there are interleaving sections between the petals, just like on a GE-110.

not very much/ pronounced I guess though. If you look closely on taxing photos, or in flight without AB, the nozzles converge a bit. unpowered on the ground though they are very much open. that is at least how I see it!

On 4/11/2017 at 2:43 PM, Navy Bird said:

I just happened to see this, Bill: 15 minutes of F-111B carrier trial on YouTube.  No doubt you've memorized it already, but I thought somebody might be interested.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I just happened to see this, Bill: 15 minutes of F-111B carrier trial on YouTube.  No doubt you've memorized it already, but I thought somebody might be interested.

"There isn't enough thrust in Christendom to fix this plane." 😬

I have not looked yet so being a bit lazy here however I am looking at the painting instructions for the HobbyBoss 1/48th EF-111A 'Raven' and although they give Mr Hobby / Vallejo / Model master / Tamiya and Humbrol codes there are no FS colour references so I am treating their instructions with some suspicion!

So, I admit I am being lazy but is there anywhere on the web where I can find reliable data for FS colour references for the EF-111A?

Michael

52 minutes ago, Ghostbase said:

I have not looked yet so being a bit lazy here however I am looking at the painting instructions for the HobbyBoss 1/48th EF-111A 'Raven' and although they give Mr Hobby / Vallejo / Model master / Tamiya and Humbrol codes there are no FS colour references so I am treating their instructions with some suspicion!

So, I admit I am being lazy but is there anywhere on the web where I can find reliable data for FS colour references for the EF-111A?

Michael

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234945100-ef-111-raven-colours/

wow, that is lazy!😮😂

• Like 1