General Dynamics F-111 STGB Chat

trickyrich

Well everyone, this Gb is now just around the corner after being what seemed forever away!! So time to get your builds organized and already to start in a few weeks.

Ok I have a request, I'm looking for someone to help me out and Co-Host this build. I'm currently in Korea but come time of the start of the GB or just after the start, I'll be on a rather large (ok freakin enormous) LPG Processing platform somewhere in the South China sea on it's way to Australia! I'm told it will have Internet and even WiFi! But Incase it doesn't or the reception is really poor I'd like someone to help with the start of the GB. I should be able to be here for the very start and can post the rules and stuff but I won't be on land until mid May....hopefully. SS Minnow and "3 hour cruise" keep coming into mind!  

If anyone can help that'd be really cool.

I've taken all the start photos of my build and have them with me, as I've mentioned I'll be converting the 148th Hobby Boss F-111C into and RF-111C. As nice as this model is you are unable to produced an RF-111C or even an early "Pre-Pave Tack" F-111C with this model. There are quite a few rather unforgivable errors! Once the STGB thread is up I fill in the details of what is wrong with this model, nothing major, just quite a few annoying smaller things!

Hi, can I join the build please, due to take part in another 2 group builds this year so I wasn't sure about this one, however, I've had a Hobby Boss F-111D/E in the stash for a long time along with some Afterburner decals and I have always planned to build it as a Lakenheath F variant.

Muzz

Also I'd like to declare my intentions, i have  recently acquired a  1/48 hobby boss f-111 a

I also have some after market eduard extras, looking forward to building an aircraft I'm almost ashamed to say I've never built before even though i think it's a beauty, should be finished the yak 28 firebar in the nato- war- pac gb  in time for the off

Glynn

Edited by Hewy
Spelling

On 20/03/2017 at 8:07 PM, Muzz said:

Hi, can I join the build please, due to take part in another 2 group builds this year so I wasn't sure about this one, however, I've had a Hobby Boss F-111D/E in the stash for a long time along with some Afterburner decals and I have always planned to build it as a Lakenheath F variant.

Muzz

Welcome aboard Muzz, I think the F model will be quite popular along with may be the E version.

19 hours ago, Hewy said:

Also I'd like to declare my intentions, i have  recently acquired a  1/48 hobby boss f-111 a

I also have some after market eduard extras, looking forward to building an aircraft I'm almost ashamed to say I've never built before even though i think it's a beauty, should be finished the yak 28 firebar in the nato- war- pac gb  in time for the off

Glynn

Other Hobby Boss model, I have to admit the 1/48th version is very nice even if you cannot do an early version F-111C or RF-111C for that matter! Don't worry I'll make sure you finish it in time! :whip: :D

• Like 1

On 21/03/2017 at 12:57, trickyrich said:

Welcome aboard Muzz, I think the F model will be quite popular along with may be the E version.

Other Hobby Boss model, I have to admit the 1/48th version is very nice even if you cannot do an early version F-111C or RF-111C for that matter! Don't worry I'll make sure you finish it in time! :whip: :D

Rich i gather you worked on f-111s  in aus service, but could you enlighten me on an idea ,maybe undo able, but could  i convert my f-111a hobby boss 1/48 into a f-111f ,what would be required ,availble  after market or a no no, from what i can gather from internet research so far is triple plow2 intakes and pave tack,and decals, could it be done, is it worth it , thats just what my untrained eye spotted could be a whole lot more.cheers

Glynn

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

Rich i gather you worked on f-111s  in aus service, but could you enlighten me on an idea ,maybe undo able, but could  i convert my f-111a hobby boss 1/48 into a f-111f ,what would be required ,availble  after market or a no no, from what i can gather from internet research so far is triple plow2 intakes and pave tack,and decals, could it be done, is it worth it , thats just what my untrained eye spotted could be a whole lot more.cheers

Glynn

Hmmm that's not so easy for me to say at the moment. I'm away with work at the moment in Korea. But you're on the right track with the differences, plus the section at the tail between the engine varied slightly between model types. The cockpit IP is quite a bit different as well. Your best bet is to go and have a good look at the F-111.net site, it's full of good info.

It shouldn't be too hard to convert as they were minor differences, the airframe itself didn't change throughout its life!

• Like 1

OK, my history of finishing STBG's is not good, but I need to have another F-111 in the collection, and with the recent passing of my wife, need to keep occupied, so wouldn't mind doing a "C" model from the Hasegawa kit, nothing too OTT as I need to ease back into this, and it will keep me occupied until the start of the Mirage GB :D

That's sad to here Graeme, I do hope this build helps you get back into the swing of things, a great aircraft to do it with!

Well folks less than a week to go, time to get all those final bits and pieces of your builds sorted out.

Good luck everyone, I'll be watching and commenting on your builds as best I can while I'm away. Enzo has kindly offered to act as Co-Host if the gods on the internet decide to not work on the rig!

• Like 1

I've just come across this GB and have a) nothing else on just now, and b) the Academy special edition F-111C sitting in the stash. It would be rude no to really wouldn't it? 

Andy

• Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 8:51 AM, Foxbat said:

I've just come across this GB and have a) nothing else on just now, and B) the Academy special edition F-111C sitting in the stash. It would be rude no to really wouldn't it? 

Andy

Totally rude!  :lol:

On 27/03/2017 at 0:51 AM, Foxbat said:

I've just come across this GB and have a) nothing else on just now, and B) the Academy special edition F-111C sitting in the stash. It would be rude no to really wouldn't it? 

Andy

If you say it you know you have to build it!!  :D

This year has had several excellent Group Builds already, one of which I have already failed (not bad going for end of March!). As far as I am concerned this is *the* Group Build of the year and I want to participate, most likely with an 1/48th HobbyBoss EF-111A 'Sparkvark' but I still have time to change my mind ;)

I am currently building an Airfix 1/72 H.P. Victor B.2 which is a superb kit and has helped me get my scale modelling mojo back and I don't want to get distracted until it is ready to be painted. So I am going to wait until the Victor is ready then I am going to come back to this Group Build and get started. Hopefully!

Michael

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ghostbase said:

This year has had several excellent Group Builds already, one of which I have already failed (not bad going for end of March!). As far as I am concerned this is *the* Group Build of the year and I want to participate, most likely with an 1/48th HobbyBoss EF-111A 'Sparkvark' but I still have time to change my mind ;)

I am currently building an Airfix 1/72 H.P. Victor B.2 which is a superb kit and has helped me get my scale modelling mojo back and I don't want to get distracted until it is ready to be painted. So I am going to wait until the Victor is ready then I am going to come back to this Group Build and get started. Hopefully!

Michael

I hope so, a 1/48th Sparky would be nice to see. If you need I do have this available    :whip:  Craig found it really helpfully in completing his F-16 build!  :D 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I hope so, a 1/48th Sparky would be nice to see. If you need I do have this available    :whip:  Craig found it really helpfully in completing his F-16 build!  :D 

Aha, an assertive taskmaster, I like it B)

• Like 1

Still hoping to find the time to squeak my Sparky in.  Probably be towards the end of the window, as I want to get a couple others knocked out first (NATO/Warsaw & Prototypes/Experimentals).

So looking forward to seeing this one built for motivation.  :devil:

• Like 2

On 29/03/2017 at 10:51 PM, gingerbob said:

I was just remembering the April start this morning... gulp!

Yes but it's the finishing date you need to really remember!!

I see there are quite a few threads up already. I do apologize for not welcoming you individually yet, with being away and other things I can only pop on and off the site every so often. Have had to had back to Oz urgently so will be around for the start, plus I'll visit everyone to wish you good luck.

We're down to hours now (hmm I think) before the start, and I love the list of entries already. If you'll still debating about joining, then just do it, it'll be fun and you'll see what an amazing aircraft she was!!

Rich I'm going to have to pull out of this one I'm sorry! Damn really wanted to do an FB-111, for me a lot of great GBs came at once this year! I will look forward to everyone's builds though, they all look very promising indeed. 

David.

Cor...   that F-111 is a big jet!   :yikes:

I've started on a Hasegawa 1/72 F-111A as a Constant Guard V aircraft in Operation Linebacker, using decals from Wolfpak.  I'll put a build thread up at the weekend.

I knew I had a Hasegawa F-111E and an Italeri EF-111A in The Stash, but yesterday I moved a few boxes around and found a Hasegawa FB-111 as well!  I can't even remember buying that...  :banghead:  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Cor...   that F-111 is a big jet!   :yikes:

I've started on a Hasegawa 1/72 F-111A as a Constant Guard V aircraft in Operation Linebacker, using decals from Wolfpak.  I'll put a build thread up at the weekend.

I knew I had a Hasegawa F-111E and an Italeri EF-111A in The Stash, but yesterday I moved a few boxes around and found a Hasegawa FB-111 as well!  I can't even remember buying that...  :banghead:  

Indeed it is, building mine at the same time as a hawk, and put in perspective having the assembled forward fuselage section next to the fully built hawk, only little longer the hawk is 

Salutations-

Hope you can help with the following. In preparation for the upcoming build (for which I hope I find the time!) I'm doing some research on different types. I gather there was an interim period when some F-111F flew around the Pave Tack cradle before the pod was ever delivered, a period which has my interest -

-From which date were F-111Fs equipped with the facilities to carry Pave Tack (as opposed to the pod themselves)? I've seen pictures with the Pave Tack cradle dated as early as 1981 - before delivery of the pod..?

-Did Pave Tack cradles always show a noticeable bulge under the Aardvark's belly or was it sometimes rotated to show a flat belly when the pod wasn't carried? I'm wondering whether I can use Hasegawa part O6 as-is or if I should scratch build a bulge.

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat

hmmm interesting questions! If they had the pave Tack pod fitted they had the bulge in the bellies when it was folded away. Due to the size of the Pave tack pod they needed to have that bulge. I can't tell you the date they were fitted, but that sound s about right, around 86 (may be 85 for the first, I'm not quite sure) the RAAF got there's, by 88 they'd all been converted other than the Recon birds of course.

I think there is some AM stuff you can use, try doing a google search for them.

• Like 1