General Dynamics F-111 STGB Chat

trickyrich

• 2 weeks later...

Right, that's me sorted. Scored a Hasegawa D/F kit today. I'll have to do some looking and see how much effort is involved in turning it into a C, but either way, I think ill be throwing all the resin and etch that I can find at this one.

Roll on April 2017!

• Like 3

Right, that's me sorted. Scored a Hasegawa D/F kit today for $36 + postage, which isn't bad. I'll have to do some looking and see how much effort is involved in turning it into a C, but either way, I think ill be throwing all the resin and etch that I can find at this one.

Roll on April 2017!

Too much effort Rod, different intakes and longer wings on the C. May as well just find a C kit.

No problems Roy, I'll build what's in the box, thank you. There's a number of interesting aftermarket schemes for it, so I'm sure I'll find something. The C was just a passing thought.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have bought a  Academy 1/48 EF-111A a few weeks ago at the IPMS show in Nieuwegein (the Netherlands) for just a tenner!!! Now I have two!!!!!!

Cheers,

14 minutes ago, Arniec said:

I have bought a  Academy 1/48 EF-111A a few weeks ago at the IPMS show in Nieuwegein (the Netherlands) for just a tenner!!! Now I have two!!!!!!

Cheers,

nice.....hopefully I can find a cheap Hobby Boss C model!  Just been checking the stash, it's the only one I'm missing for next years lots including the main GB's I'm interested. Looks like next year will be a stash reducing year......more room to fill with more models!! :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arniec said:

Cheers,

I've got one of those sitting in the stash.  I'll keep my eyes on this one...if the timing works out I may join in.  Love my SEAD aircraft.

• Like 1

There plenty of time, nice to have you along.

I have a feeling that the E's will be a very popular choice. The nice thing is there are plenty of different weapons loadout that you can do as well with this model, they had a fairly long service life.

2 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Anyone know the best place for reference material

this site isn't bad, thought it's a bit odd to use as all the menus are at the bottom. Plus it's a little bit skewed towards the RAAF aircraft......nothing wrong with that!! :D

F-111 site

Well, I just looked into the new Group Builds calendar, and that far off fantasy of an F-111 group build suddenly has a concrete "pretty soon" looming.  Panic attack!  Well, at least that leaves me time to FIND mine...

10 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Well, I just looked into the new Group Builds calendar, and that far off fantasy of an F-111 group build suddenly has a concrete "pretty soon" looming.  Panic attack!  Well, at least that leaves me time to FIND mine...

don't worry Bob, I haven't gotten around to buying mine yet, though I already have some of the AM stuff. Am also just wondering if I want to spend a small fortune on new resin wings which have the Flaps & Slats dropped??

1 hour ago, Mountain goat said:

I'd like to join with a 366th TFW F-111A circa 1981. Have been planning this build for a while.

Jay

Welcome aboard, nice to see an "A" model in the mix. 

As I mentioned earlier, I have a Hasegawa D/F. Having had a recent change in interests, I'd prefer to do a white NASA airframe, which means an 'A'. Can anyone tell me which is the best 72nd 'A' model model (not Amodel, but a model of an 'A' model) available so that I can model a non-Amodel 'A' model?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Rob G said:

As I mentioned earlier, I have a Hasegawa D/F. Having had a recent change in interests, I'd prefer to do a white NASA airframe, which means an 'A'. Can anyone tell me which is the best 72nd 'A' model model (not Amodel, but a model of an 'A' model) available so that I can model a non-Amodel 'A' model?

Thanks.

Rob, the Hasegawa A Model of course!, you could also try find a Hasegawa EF-111A as it comes with a non EF tail...

So I have the following in the stash:

Hasegawa F-111C (with RF Conversion)

Hasegawa F-111G

Hasegawa F-111C/G

Hasegawa F-111E

Airfix F-111E

I am not sure of which to build but I am thinking I would like to do the F-111G as an FB-111A. So where can I get AM FB-111A decals?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TrojanThunder said:

Rob, the Hasegawa A Model of course!, you could also try find a Hasegawa EF-111A as it comes with a non EF tail...

Ahh sooo, thank'ee velly much. It was as I suspected. Of course the battle now will be finding an EF/F-111A at a realistic price. (Au$80 + shipping is not realistic, to my mind.) I'll have to see if I can find someone who wants to swap.

The AM decals I cannot help with, I know less than nowt about F-111s.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TrojanThunder said:

So I have the following in the stash:

Hasegawa F-111C (with RF Conversion)

Hasegawa F-111G

Hasegawa F-111C/G

Hasegawa F-111E

Airfix F-111E

I am not sure of which to build but I am thinking I would like to do the F-111G as an FB-111A. So where can I get AM FB-111A decals?

What's the RF conversion, or should I say who's it by? I've been searching everywhere for a 1/48th conversion, from what I can gather there use to be one form Pete's Models, but it so long out of production. I think I'm going to have to scratch build my own!! If I can get it right I'm going to case some masters.....you just never know...

• Like 1

Holy Moly! - I've totally forgotten about this STGB! :o

The Modelling Gods are testing me - I now have signed up for 5 (five!) GB's next year and they ALL takes place in the spring/summer! :evil_laugh:

Maybe I'll have a quiet Fall! :hmmm:

I'm still in, though! :winkgrin: Got a Hobbyboss F-111C ready! 

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Like 2