1/48 Kitty Hawk Mig 25 PD

shawty82

Hi all,

With the release of the AMK Mig 31, I thought I'd dust off my KH Mig 25 and have a crack at it. I've got an AMK Mig 31 on order, but I just had to start on this as I'm an impatient little wotsit.

It's going to be built completely OOB (warts and all! I'm aware of the inaccuracies, but I don't care) except for an AirScale Early Soviet Jets Instrument decal sheet. Not strictly accurate, but the general idea is there and they'll look better than hand-painting them!

Once I get my Photobucket or what have you sorted, I shall post some pics up.

External tank assembled and primed, wheels assembled, primed and centres painted Vallejo Air Zinc Chromate Green (it appeared a close match to a faded Russian Mig wheel)

2015-11-29_07-46-46_zpsouqneabf.jpg

Next up is Gloss Black Base for the Tank, followed by Alclad Stainless Steel, Gloss clear cote, and weathering with Alclad translucent colours and washes. Maybe a light sheen cote for afters.

Wheels will be finished with Vallejo Color Dark Rubber on the tyres, then detail painting on the hubs, followed by Gloss clear, washes, Matt cote and pigments to represent tyre dirt and rusty bits on the hubs, and a little dry brushing.

Edited by shawty82

Hi,

There can never be too many Foxbats.

It's nice to see that people are tackling the KittyHawk kit in spite of its flaws, even when confronted with the threat of a better kit making all their effort unnecessary within next year - and the same goes for rom1, whose build I wasn't aware of!

Hi all

Nice to know I'm not alone in building one of these beasts, how are you finding it rom1?

Igor - check out http://www.airscale.co.uk

Stainless Steel sprayed on the tank this morning (which incidentally is about 4/5 the size of a Mig 21 in 1/48, so this aircraft is BIIIG) and Alclad Aqua Gloss coated, going to try and get the tyres painted before having a nap to synch myself into night shift mode.

Toodles!!

Nice to know I'm not alone in building one of these beasts, how are you finding it rom1?

hi

the build is quite challenging.

You have to pay attention to every fit.

I'll post more in the week.

Romain

Hi

Also in the process of this one. Simply 'love' the choice of wingtips and the way these attaches. Filler needed... But is one big impressive bird that goes fast but needs half Russia to make a 180 degree turn! ;-)

Got some inspiration from this one I saw built in a Swedish competition in late october:

22507616422_a22ea4ec54_b.jpg

Will follow thread with interest as long as it not goes into 'this rivet is 1,2 mm out a alignment' posts...

Best regards

Flemming

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little update after being able to crack on due to my last lot of holiday for the year.

Wheels and drop tank are finished:

20151208_183757_zpsrlthkc2g.jpg

The drop tank was originally sprayed in Alclad Stainless Steel. Despite using a Gloss Base, and Alclad Aqua Gloss, an enamel based wash destroyed the paintwork all the way down to the primer. So I sanded, and resprayed in Vallejo Metal Colour Dull Aluminium. Looking at pictures of the drop tanks on the real thing, they seem either a darker stainless steel, or a lighter Matt colour, so happy with using dull aluminium.

Wheels were painted, glossed, washed, satin varnished, dry brushed and then used pigments to dirty them up a touch more. Notice the rust effect around the hubs. Not seen on the photo is the tyre rolling edge, this has also been dirtied up with pigments.

I've made a start on the undercarriage too - one of the most complicated undercarriages I've ever assembled! Will undercoat and spray tonight.

Edited by shawty82

A little more progress on the Mig! Landing gear finished, as shown below, front and rear shots:

20151210_084526_zpshuebu67f.jpg

20151210_084553_zpscdnt0vbv.jpg

I've started on the wheel bays now, painted in Duraluminium as the examples of the Mig 25 I've seen without (what I assume is a preservative coat) a grey colour are a goldy/metallic colour. Wasn't quite happy with with the shade of Vallejo Metallics Duraluminium, compared to Alclads, so lightly oversprayed with Vallejo Metallic Pale Burnt Metal to give it that goldy shine.

20151210_0846241_zpsag1ijhzy.jpg

• Like 1

nice work on those legs!

Thanks mate!

A little more done today, have finished the gear wells and test fitted the landing gear and no problems so far. I test fit the drop tank too, that fits just fine.

20151210_1626351_zpsiadyflav.jpg

20151210_2325441_zpssbgpahc1.jpg

I also took the cockpit parts off the sprues and undercoated them all.

I was gonna upload pics of the cockpit parts and the 2 paints I'll use for it, Akan Emerald Green and Faded Emerald Green, but Photobucket is being a pain. More tomorrow!

Edited by shawty82
  • Like 2