Russian aircraft at Latakia II

Radleigh

Regarding the scheme on this Su-34, it looks rather like the fighter two-grey scheme of the GPW, with a darker grey and a lighter grey over blue.

Regards,

Jason

I think its just the dark purple-grey 'aubergine' colour fading on different parts of the airframe Jason.

I wish they would do a new colour scheme though - desert camo would be nice.....

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 2

To force the nose downwards when they are jettisoned - allowing for a clean separation.

Ken

Oooh, that's clever - but doesn't that mean that while they're still attached to the plane, that they'd constantly be applying downward aerodynamic force? Or are they small enough that the net effect is insignificant while mounted?

Edited by Supertom

Do Russian a/c keep the same Bort number during it's service life? For example here is #26 taken while deployed to Syria:

Here is another pic of #26, if it's the same airframe, before the deployment:

note how the 26 is applied differently.

Jari

• Like 1

In the previous thread there was mention of "mission" marks on the a/c, namely small red stars however this pic shows a Su-24 with them and i don't think it was taken in Syria:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ufwIFtOa6n4/VkMtl9RPQ8I/AAAAAAAA0F8/LV__YYGcWQg/s1600/w.jpg

i believe they don't have tankers support and note the flight suits aren't tan. Unless this one was returning home during a change over?

Jari

I've been trying to find out why Russian wheel hubs are painted green for years - to no avail.

I have been told that it is a traditional old artillery colour.

Or maybe the paint zavod never got the memo to stop production following the breakup of the former Soviet Union ......?? :whistle:

I asked an English-speaking crew member of the Tu-95MS that visited Fairford in 1993 - he was puzzled as to why I would want to know ??

His reply (in a heavy Russian accent).......... "Iz not significant!"

Ken

This green color is a special color for material "ELEKTRON" , it is alloy AL with magnesium for wheel hubs. It's something as the color used for the cover of the antennas and radars. With only minor differences in composition.... :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Interesting to see the well-dressed ground crew - with new tropical uniforms.

I assume that is an anti-FOD measure on the armourers - attaching the headgear by chord to the pocket.

It means they can't forget it and leave it in an intake.

.... and the anonimity of the pilots - always pictured with the visor down.

Ken