Kiev deck colours

MickE

Hi all

I am currently building Trumpeter's 1/550 Kiev and need help with the deck colours. Can anyone tell me what using to use for the orangey brown and the green? Trumpeter suggest Mr hobby paint but I don't have easy access to that make.

Regards

Mick

Try the colourcoats range from Sovereign Hobbies - they are on this site so ask them, they're certainly used to be modern Russian colours in the colourcoats range.

thanks

Mike

Thanks for the mention Mike

Colourcoats M12 is Russian Deck Green. M13 is Russian Deck Red

If of any interest, M11 is Russian Northern Fleet Grey for the vertical surfaces...

The decks colours were quite subdued and not as garish as the instruction sheet depicts; here is a link to an example of Minsk at sea.

On occasions the deck wasn't even green, as can be seen in this overfly of Novorrosisk in the 1970's. Also note below, during this period, that the orange area ends immediately behind the island structure.

Novorrossiysk_resized_800_high.jpg

HTH

Mike

Thanks chaps

James where are you based? Anywhere near Salisbury Plain? Your paints sound like what I need but I am unwilling to pay £17.50 for three tins of paint. I do know why you have to charge so much for postage.

Regards

Mick

FWIW, the ex-Soviet carrier is now in China as a floating museum called 'Minsk World'.

I visited in 2012 and took a few photos.......

day04.001.JPG

If you ignore the bogus aircraft, the rest is fairly well preserved - but faded.

day04.053.JPG

It doesn't look like it has been re-painted since its operational days with the Soviet Navy...

day04.059.JPG

More photos here.

Ken

• Like 2