Xtracolour still the dogs danglies?

Bozothenutter

Still my paint of choice for any aircraft I build (mainly sky and EDSG though) I have a feeling that enamel paints days are numbered if Humbrol is any measure. Humbrol enamels seem to be getting worse every time I buy them.

May have to start practicing with acrylics !

Steve.

I don't think the formula's changed so it's probably the same product as you remember it. The only issue is posting it, recent postal regs have muddied the waters

There are many other new paints on the market now to choose from (majority are acrylic in one form or another) but if you like Xtracolour and you can get hold of it then job's a gud 'un :)

• Like 1

Xtracolor is still my paint of choice, been using it since the 90's and it hasn't changed at all that I have noticed, my second choice is Colourcoats (was WEM but is now Sovereign) which has colours not available in the Xtracolor range and you still get a decal ready satin finish.

Cheers

Dennis

Xtracolor is still my paint of choice, been using it since the 90's and it hasn't changed at all that I have noticed, my second choice is Colourcoats (was WEM but is now Sovereign) which has colours not available in the Xtracolor range and you still get a decal ready satin finish.

Cheers

Dennis

Interesting that you like the satin finishes. I have been seriously considering phasing them out in favour of matt finishes throughout due to far better drying times. I can get a 2 tone cammo scheme done in an afternoon with Colourcoats matt colours but the satins need half a day to dry enough to work on top of. (My) life is too short for full gloss colour buildups.

It sounds as though some still prefer to have glossier finishes straight from the tin, rather than quicker drying / better coating matts plus a coat of Future/similar glossy clearcoat for decals?

I much prefer the gloss finish. I don't find the drying times a big issue. If I am not masking, I can get a full 3 colour scheme done in a day and there is always other things to be doing while its drying.

• Like 1

Interesting that you like the satin finishes. I have been seriously considering phasing them out in favour of matt finishes throughout due to far better drying times. I can get a 2 tone cammo scheme done in an afternoon with Colourcoats matt colours but the satins need half a day to dry enough to work on top of. (My) life is too short for full gloss colour buildups.

It sounds as though some still prefer to have glossier finishes straight from the tin, rather than quicker drying / better coating matts plus a coat of Future/similar glossy clearcoat for decals?

Yes I prefer gloss or satin finishes, it makes no sense to me to airbrush a matt finish paint, then airbrush a gloss finish for decals and then apply a matt finish, I much prefer airbrushing a gloss finish, apply decals and then airbrush a matt or satin finish. Both Xtracolors and Colourcoats dry a lot quicker if you mix them for ages and thin them more than normal, the thinning more sounds daft but it works.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

Xtracolour all the way from me. It's right what others have said about some colours appearing more glossy than others. I certainly find that their Greys seem glossier than say greens or Brown, sky PRU blue etc.but all are good for decalling with no extra coating. I';m not 100% certain but I THINK I read somewhere that Xtracolour & WEM are produced by the same manufacturer?

Xtracolour all the way from me. It's right what others have said about some colours appearing more glossy than others. I certainly find that their Greys seem glossier than say greens or Brown, sky PRU blue etc.but all are good for decalling with no extra coating. I';m not 100% certain but I THINK I read somewhere that Xtracolour & WEM are produced by the same manufacturer?

It's possible, but if Xtracolor is made at the same factory as Colourcoats, the factory do not wish to disclose that (I have asked them).

The tins all come from China so I wouldn't read too much in to similarity there.

I'm pretty sure that the same factory produces Colourcoats and Xtracolour. Let's put it this way, if the manufacturer is based in the most easterly part of England, you can be pretty sure it is! ;-)

I have found that either using cellulose thinners or adding a drop of Rustins Driers to white spirit speeds up the drying time of Colourcoats no end.

I'm still a big fan of Colourcoats.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

I've been using cellulose recently too. I have never understood the "patience is a virtue" mantra but like my paints to a) actually stick to the model and B) not dry on the airbrush needle.

Edited by SovereignHobbies

what are people using for a clearcote?

I remember Xtracolour being quite yellow/brownish in the tin.

is there a good colourless clear out there?

I always use Alclad clear since I find it easy to use (pre-thinned for airbrush) it dries quickly and is fairly hard wearing. Also comes in Matt and Satin finish.

Steve.

what are people using for a clearcote?

I remember Xtracolour being quite yellow/brownish in the tin.

is there a good colourless clear out there?

I use Xtracolor's own matt varnish XDFF or the satin version and have never had a problem, it is brown in the bottle but dries clear.

Cheers

Dennis

I read a post on Hyperscale fairly recently where Dave Hannant mentioned that "Bulk Xtracolor is made by an industrial paint company based about a mile from our warehouse in Lowestoft".

Cheers,

Mark.

So that'll be Witham Group then...

SovereignHobbies, on 01 Dec 2015 - 3:09 PM, said:

So that'll be Witham Group then...

Check out the strapline on this picture... FWIW I used Xtracolor up until getting a reliable source of Mr Color. XC were/are brilliant paints , easy to use (with Rustins driers/gloss cellulose thinners) but would lift off Alclad grey primer unless I thoroughly degreased every square millimetre. I sold a whole unused hoard to Hardtarget but their RLM colours were easily the best my ageing eyes have seen,

A

Check out the strapline on this picture... FWIW I used Xtracolor up until getting a reliable source of Mr Color. XC were/are brilliant paints , easy to use (with Rustins driers/gloss cellulose thinners) but would lift off Alclad grey primer unless I thoroughly degreased every square millimetre. I sold a whole unused hoard to Hardtarget but their RLM colours were easily the best my ageing eyes have seen,

A

That's interesting. I started using Alclad primers last year and have not had one single issue with paint lifting off it. Was your experience from masking or just in general.

Bish, on 02 Dec 2015 - 7:39 PM, said:

That's interesting. I started using Alclad primers last year and have not had one single issue with paint lifting off it. Was your experience from masking or just in general.

Tamiya tape- the problem was my skin oils unless I used latex/cotton gloves after Alclad priming, the XC would lift where I had been fondling the model. Mr Color and levelling thinners is oblivious to my greasy mitt residue...of course I could have stopped the fondling but where's the fun in that?

A

• Like 3