Long term diorama: RAF station camp site

Mancunian airman

I started a diorama many years ago of a small RAF camp built during the war, not a camp like Scampton, more the 'built for the war' type, brick huts and Nissens etc.

Its been so long since I did any work on it that I ought seriously to get it started again before I pop me clogs :banghead:

So much on this site that I haven't seen anybody else do anything similar, has anybody ??

I started a diorama many years ago of a small RAF camp built during the war, not a camp like Scampton, more the 'built for the war' type, brick huts and Nissens etc.

Its been so long since I did any work on it that I ought seriously to get it started again before I pop me clogs :banghead:

So much on this site that I haven't seen anybody else do anything similar, has anybody ??

I thought about it, but it is not really possible for me due to time and space. I have built up a reasonable collection of RAF and USAAF ground vehicles and plan to use them for something like this but just much smaller.

Hi MA,

Thought you might like to take a look at the following: http://patrickbaty.co.uk/2011/10/05/wartime-camouflage-colours/

From that you will see that you don't need to colour match worn concrete. That said, the use of 'hemp' with a dirty wash might serve for areas of high use where the camouflage has been worn off.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I have just created the last 2 of the 6 boards, (each measures 8' x 4')

I refer to each board that contains the most appropriate building so boards No 5 & 6 are 'T2 hangar' and 'Crew locker rooms'.

At this stage they are just the basic out-line that match up to the other boards, I have still to construct the hangar and also the Crew locker buildings but there are other buildings already completed. A long way to go before the landscaping can be started, mud tracks and grass.

27353730994_c44c3b62ea_z.jpg

ABOVE: The cardboard template gives me the size of the Crew Locker building and positioning relative to the roadway and other buildings.

27965638505_470e8bd495_z.jpg

Again the template aids the positioning relative to the 50ft. (200mm) peri-track.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A few hopefully helpful points.

The Cosford Museum has a model of an RAF station in between two of the hangars. This might help with some ideas.

You don't say where you got the layout from: I believe there are some available in the Action Stations books.

I'd expect to see T2 Hangars grouped together facing a central apron, parallel to the main runway. As the hangars were mainly used for serious maintenance they weren't used for operational (as in that night) aircraft, which would live out on the dispersals. So your example, sideways on to a peri-track with its individual lead-out, looks slightly unusual, but then given the large number and variety of airfields built I'm not going to say it is wrong!

Graham

many thanks for your observations.

I would like to see some photos off the Cosford example as I am not even aware there was one there.

My diorama layout is of my local former Bomber Command RAF station Grimsby in Lincolnshire

I actually measured the technical site with a pedometer and metre tape, took scores of photographs and measured up all the existing buildings available at the time, (sadly all now demolished bar 3). Missing buildings I sourced from other RAF stations around Lincolnshire and Yorkshire.

Wartime hangars were dispersed around the airfield and you would very unlikely to see them in groups although there were exceptions, Ludford Magna: No13 Base.

You are correct in that the hangars were used for major works on air-frames and engines, usual servicing was out on the airfield.

I am pleased that you think the hangar looks un-usual, it might appeal to alot of people as such.

The only reason that 1 lead in is shown, is because the back end is beyond my planned area of reproduction for the diorama.

Below is the area covered by my 6 (+2 triangles) boards which measure 8' x 4' each. The hangar is on the top left with a Blister hangar to ITS right

27352885493_0e1d9c50ec_z.jpg

At the bottom of the plan is the pre-war hangar, utilsed by Grimsby Corporation as part of its airport facilities, and shows a Lancaster out the front. I am in the process of constructing this from aluminium but currently stalled on that particular project..

It looks like this at the moment . . .

28921191092_e5b20be2e2_z.jpg

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 4

I'm familiar (perhaps that should be over-familiar) with at least two other wartime examples, namely Dunsfold and Warton, where the hangars are grouped together rather than dispersed, although the other such examples that immediately come to mind (Duxford, Finningley) are pre-war permanent stations. Dispersal obviously makes a lot of sense, particularly where more than one squadron was operating.

This diorama is going to be impressive. I've got a few Corgi 1:144 card airfield buildings that I sometimes use as a backdrop for forced perspective when I photograph my models but I'd have nowhere to leave them set up on a permanent diorama.

Have you got room to leave it on display when it's finished or will it pack away for storage?

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark

Current the 'un-landscaped' board are stacked in the garage but as I near completion I shall have to consider a horizontal stack frame or donate to a worthwhile museum.

this is the kinda stack system I am thinking about . . . obviously a larger version

27887676491_3df85fc369_z.jpg

• Like 1

The next thing I shall be constructing are 8 surface Blast shelters.

I built this one about 10 years ago but it has warped slightly so for the new builds I am going to try a slightly different method.

28484002833_d0fc73a8ba_z.jpg

I have already cut out the external surrounds in 60 thou, (No easy task that one) they are lettered A --> H, 'H2' can be seen, but I will be finishing the T2 first . . .

this is where its at, I am just doing the internal stanchions

28757761090_a098f32331_z.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hangar stanchions in place . . . .

29322054095_7cbb1e1a54_z.jpg

The site at Waltham was a pre-war aerodrome and was occupied by the RAFVR and the C.A.G. (Civil Air Guard).

The RAFVR had Bellman hangars constructed and the CAG a civilian hangar to a 1937 drawing number.

I am in the process of building the latter as its fall within the scope of inclusion . . .

29238582035_c471476e1a_z.jpg

• Like 4

Simply WOW ! Love all the different buildings and attention to detail !

I am in for the long haul and got you bookmarked !

Would you be able to cast your blast shelters in basic plaster ?

Again ,,,,,,,,,,,, WOW

Nige

Simply WOW ! Love all the different buildings and attention to detail !

I am in for the long haul and got you bookmarked !

Would you be able to cast your blast shelters in basic plaster ?

Again ,,,,,,,,,,,, WOW

Nige

Nige

honestly if I knew how I would have ago.

I really want to see the brick detail as the painting off such gives a good clear, undoubted image of the bricks which I consider essential.

It all looks really great, so great in fact that I am tempted to copy it.

Many thanks for your thoughts

If you need the spec measurements then give me a shout, you know you want to build one as it would really be a great backdrop for the multitude of aircraft you have. progress on the hangar is here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235007179-t2-hangar-anybody/

Perhaps a basic silicon mold and a dental mix plaster would give you good crisp detail !

You should google the molding as you would get a few castings out of one silicon mold and a packet of the plaster !

With your skills I am sure you would succeed !

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would pop this in . . . 

Basic green in colour but masked off for a 2nd colour and if I ever get in done then a 3rd colour will be added.

I have seen photos from both a private collection and on the 'net' so as no two hangars were the same the actual camouflage pattern isnt critical but I am trying to have the correct colour scheme or at lest my interpretation of them; Field Green, light Brown/Tan and a dark green .

Taped and masked with newspaper . . .

30583254970_6ca5f2df3e_z.jpg

thanks for looking in 

Ian

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at the site plan above, (August 16th) you will see that the layout below show the main 8' x 4' boards but missing the top right hand part of the plan . . .  this view measures 16' x 12'. When finished it will be 20' x 12'.

30321722113_79d3ee552b_z.jpg

T2 hangar position at the rearmost and the pre-war hangar to the Left-front

This just gives you an idea of the size of the layout I intend to finish up with  . . .:whistle:

• Like 3