General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon STGB chat

trickyrich

Right, I know nothing of F-16:s except I really like them ;) . I´d like to build this pair of Buzzard's F-16C:s that visited our local air show last summer, on their way back to Aviano from the Arctic Challenge Exercise -15. They appear to be Block 40 planes, which in 1:72 scale aren´t available OOB (for those of us that know nothing avout F-16:s, there´s fortunately the F-16.net :thumbsup: ). Astra Decals should even have stickers for these birds. But which kit is closer, the Revell Block 30 or the Tamiya Block 50? Both kits are "good enough" so let´s not base the suggestion on "Tamiya having superior fit", yes indeed it has, but like I said, "Revell is good enough". Decals would be aftermarket anyway. If I´d display them legs up, I guess the difference in gear bay doors wouldn´t matter that much so it should be just what the topsides differ. So which should I go shopping for? Regards, V-P

P.S. The C-17 would be nice too - but in 1:350 scale, if any!

b09844fa-37d4-4836-962c-05603c617405_zps

Haha, I was looking at getting this set as well for this build! It certainly is a colorful looking plane. They have another couple of sets that I like as well.

Least I have plenty of time to decide.

O, I can now remember that you have mentioned it in a earlier post. A little bit late, but I have been bussy at work. :fraidnot:

I can Always build mine later, I have enough F-16's in my stash to do something else.

I have also got a 1/48 set for the Thunderbirds from Revell. So, not one, but four F-16's. Hmmm :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

Take a look here: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/163676-revell-4749-general-dynamics-f-16

That might be interesting as well. Hmmmm

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Please add me to the list. I have several 72nd scale kits in the stash as I want to model a plane from each country that flies or has flown it and a MTANG and maybe a Hill bird or two.

Edited by philp

On 17/12/2015 at 10:48, vppelt68 said:

Right, I know nothing of F-16:s except I really like them ;) . I´d like to build this pair of Buzzard's F-16C:s that visited our local air show last summer, on their way back to Aviano from the Arctic Challenge Exercise -15. They appear to be Block 40 planes, which in 1:72 scale aren´t available OOB (for those of us that know nothing avout F-16:s, there´s fortunately the F-16.net :thumbsup: ). Astra Decals should even have stickers for these birds. But which kit is closer, the Revell Block 30 or the Tamiya Block 50? Both kits are "good enough" so let´s not base the suggestion on "Tamiya having superior fit", yes indeed it has, but like I said, "Revell is good enough". Decals would be aftermarket anyway. If I´d display them legs up, I guess the difference in gear bay doors wouldn´t matter that much so it should be just what the topsides differ. So which should I go shopping for? Regards, V-P

P.S. The C-17 would be nice too - but in 1:350 scale, if any!

Block 40s are available using a Hasegawa block 50 kit, though you'll need to update a few things (like adding some scab plates). I don't remember all of the things I did with it, but only hasegawa has the proper bulged doors and wheels (perhaps use this site to figure out some of the differences.) I built this one a few years ago, and its one of my favorites, despite being a model I built early in my modelling hobby.

5F2.jpg

• Like 2

On 17/12/2015 at 21:15, -Neu- said:

Block 40s are available using a Hasegawa block 50 kit, though you'll need to update a few things (like adding some scab plates). I don't remember all of the things I did with it, but only hasegawa has the proper bulged doors and wheels (perhaps use this site to figure out some of the differences.) I built this one a few years ago, and its one of my favorites, despite being a model I built early in my modelling hobby.

block 40/42's also use the WAR HUD

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2 Hases in the stash - a CJ and a C and these nice Reid decals for USAFE Vipers.....also have the Bentwaters Aggressor decals as part of my USAFE Childhood prodject...

163724-12192.jpg

164399-12192.jpg

6.jpeg

http://www.reidairpublishing.com/product-p/shg48010.htm

SHG48010-2T.jpg?1426707037

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Intend to join in this GB, hoping build an Academy 1/32 SUFA as a Polish Block 52 F-16D (already have the decals).

Going to be busy year with F-15, MiG-29 and SU-27 as well!

welcome along..

it's going to be the year of the jet for sure next year, plus there is the F-104 and F-111 GBs as well........I'm going to need a bigger shelf!!

ok the list is up to date...don't worry if I've missed you the build is a go, so all you have to do is just show uo on the right day and join the fun.

1, trickyrich - host
2, nick32
3, theplasticsurgeon
4, vppelt68
5, Mish
6, Lex77
7, Antoine
8, Jabba
9, Arniec
10, Vingtor
11, Ilking
12, Knight_Flier
13, Caerbannog
14, mungo1974
15, snapper_city
16, mirageiv
17, -Neu- - co-host
18, PhamtonBigStu
19, jrlx
20, Trojan Thunder
21, Giorgio N
22, swat11
23, Rob G
24, stevehnz
25, Bill Ficner
26, alex
27, DaveJL
28, DannyB
29,Tim Moff
30,AndyC

31, logical

32, FortyEighter

33, philp

• 2 months later...

As i'm the IPMS F-16 Fighting Falcon SIG leader I guest I better get involved with is one then, I've no ideal what i'm going to make at the moment but my options are F-16A Belgium, Dutch, Pakistan, F-16B Royal Thai, Norwegian, F-16C Bahrain, Chile, Indonesian, Singapore and an F-16D Turkish so i'll decide nearer the time.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by F3 Demon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Have more F-16 kits than is strictly healthy, so am very much up for this. Currently minded to do a Bahraini block 40, but could equally go for a euro 1 F16B from Hill Arb in 79/80... we'll see!

Paul

Have more F-16 kits than is strictly healthy, so am very much up for this. Currently minded to do a Bahraini block 40, but could equally go for a euro 1 F16B from Hill Arb in 79/80... we'll see!

Paul

see this is a good chance to help clear out the stash..........so you can add more to it a bit later!

I think I will try to build the Revell boxing of the Thunderbirds with four F-16's in 1/48.

Take a look here. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/163676-revell-4749-general-dynamics-f-16

I only need to get some pilots for it.

Now I think of it I must still have a Hasegawa(?!)set for some USAF Pilots and ground machines for it.

I will have to look in the stash.

Cheers,

• 3 months later...