General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon STGB chat

trickyrich

Arnie, I´ve got that too, but in the 1:72 Revell boxing. Loved her doing a performance in our local air show 2011 - but she was equally beautiful standing still!

I have seen it flying a few times in Holland and was very impressed with the display. I was Lucky to find the decal sheet for half price.

The difficulty will be to get the orange paint right. I know that Syhart had a batch of the paint made, but they aren't available anymore.

What sort of colourmix does Revell give you for this?!

Cheers,

I have seen it flying a few times in Holland and was very impressed with the display. I was Lucky to find the decal sheet for half price.

The difficulty will be to get the orange paint right. I know that Syhart had a batch of the paint made, but they aren't available anymore.

What sort of colourmix does Revell give you for this?!

Cheers,

Haha, I was looking at getting this set as well for this build! It certainly is a colorful looking plane. They have another couple of sets that I like as well.

Least I have plenty of time to decide.

• Like 1

The difficulty will be to get the orange paint right. I know that Syhart had a batch of the paint made, but they aren't available anymore. What sort of colourmix does Revell give you for this?!

Cheers,

If I get that correct Revell suggests you paint it first metallic Silver #36190, then cover it with clear Orange #36730, to get a Candy-effect. I´ll just use solid orange and won´t tell anybody about it. There´s a build HERE at Britmodeller RFI where Ford Focus Electric Orange automotive paint was used. Check that out and this http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-ford-electric-orange-car-spray-paint-300ml for the paint!

• Like 1

If I get that correct Revell suggests you paint it first metallic Silver #36190, then cover it with clear Orange #36730, to get a Candy-effect. I´ll just use solid orange and won´t tell anybody about it. There´s a build HERE at Britmodeller RFI where Ford Focus Electric Orange automotive paint was used. Check that out and this http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-ford-electric-orange-car-spray-paint-300ml for the paint!

Thanxs for the info. This is the same method as syhart recommended. That of the Halfords paint is also a great idea. will have to look around for it.

Cheers,

time to start researching I think, not an expert on F-16 kitography in 1/72 only thats revells is a good un having already attempted one of them and italeris one is awful, what about the hasegawa one? think Ill build one in early 2016 as its a travesty I not yet done one given I like the falcon a lot. Also plenty of time to choose the schemes (just know Im going to do more than one at same time)

Edited by PhantomBigStu

time to start researching I think, not an expert on F-16 kitography in 1/72 only thats revells is a good un having already attempted one of them and italeris one is awful, what about the hasegawa one? think Ill build one in early 2016 as its a travesty I not yet done one given I like the falcon a lot. Also plenty of time to choose the schemes (just know Im going to do more than one at same time)

The latest recommendation is the 1/72 Tamiya kit. All new tooling and the review verdict have been in the main - excellent. The kit does have errors and nothing worth mentioning unless you're looking for 100% accuracy. There are two versions at this time and apart from the different schemes, one has weapons included and the other does not.

Hasegawa isn't too bad and the one I'll build if the Tamiya didn't exist.

The new Tamiya is terrific (take care, there are two versions - one with, one without ordnance!), but not that cheap. Hasegawa is nice, there are plenty of versions at a resonnable price.

Alex

Edit: I would recommend this one, it comes with full ordnance, has three nice schemes to choose from and the price is ok. https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HAD18

Edited by alex

The new Tamiya is terrific (take care, there are two versions - one with, one without ordnance!), but not that cheap. Hasegawa is nice, there are plenty of versions at a resonnable price.

Alex

Edit: I would recommend this one, it comes with full ordnance, has three nice schemes to choose from and the price is ok. https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HAD18

thats a great one, definitely going on my shopping list, don't yet have an up to date CJ in my falcon collection (8 Dicasts), though don't have an N either.

A bit of a teaser and no promises at this point, but I'm hoping that I might get some, um, official "swag", as prizes for this GB. I'll know more in the coming months, but I hope that will get some peoples' interests up.

• Like 1

I built the 1/72 Hasegawa, Revell, Tamiya, and Kinetic F-16 kits side-by-side last year if anyone's interested in the comparison.

I like the Tamiya kit best, but it's expensive and can only be built as a Block 50.

The Hasegawa kit is inexpensive, and it can be built with either GE or P&W engines.

The Revell kit can be built as just about any production block, is reasonably priced and goes together well.

The Kinetic kit was the most difficult for me, but you get a Block 52+ out of the box, with the conformal tanks and big spine.

• Like 3