General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon STGB chat

trickyrich

4 hours ago, Filler said:

Thanks Eric. I guess the gun port might be another point that could be an issue.

If you pic an exact jet you would like to model it would make determining exactly what is required to backdate the Tamiya kit. There are a few differences between Blocks 1-15 and the earlier you go (Block and time wise), the more of the Tamiya kit you will have to modify. It is do able from the Tamiya Blk25/32 or 'C/N' kits but requires quite a bit of sourced parts/after market depending on the exact airframe. The minimum main bits for pre-MLU would be the earlier 'thin' fin+ tail base mods, A cockpit, early wheel design (provided kinda in the 'C/N' it) and decals on top of the basic Tamiya kit. 

I did it recently to Block 1 and with hindsight improving the Hasegawa A kit would have been a much more sensible and much less expensive way to go. You should get a better result though if going about it the Tamiya way if you really want to be as accurate as you can, but imho isn't worth it over simply finding a proper Hasegawa A.

If you were to build a MLU jet, it mainly only requires the earlier fin and makes things a lot easier.

Just my :2c: on the approach.

cheers,

David

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Whirly said:

Hi, would like to join this GB with an Italeri F16C to be finished with Daco Decals as this beauty:

FA-49.jpg?m=1371914022

The kit is already started, will submit images of progress for approval under the 25% rule.

Thanks

Fabio

Hi Fabio, that's a really cool colour scheme and it would be nice to see her in the build!

Just post some photo's of where you're up to plus details of what you need to do. As some have mentioned i'm a bit more leniant on the 25% rules for those who are newish to GB's...with in reason. I like to see everyone get a chance to join in the fun, that's the idea behind these GB's.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Whirly said:

Hi, would like to join this GB with an Italeri F16C to be finished with Daco Decals as this beauty:

FA-49.jpg?m=1371914022

The kit is already started, will submit images of progress for approval under the 25% rule.

Thanks

Fabio

Hi Fabio, Nice that you are doing a Belgium F-16.

Although they only flew the A and B version. So if you want to use the F-16C from Italeri, You will need to back date it to get a correct model.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Thank you everybody for the welcoming words, especially from the GB host.

I'm chuffed to see how much this Belgian subject is liked: I saw it for the first time in an issue of Scale Models and purchased the DACO sheet when it was a relatively new decal producer... these decals must be at least 25 years old, will have to be careful.

The Italeri kit is in 1/72 (i didn't say it) and probably much more an 'A' than a 'C' given its lineage. Up to now I have noted to backdate the tailpanes to the smaller ones and change the exhaust with a PW F100 (the kit give you a GE F110 in two positions) while I had already modified the fin with an Esci part to get the long parachute fairing. As you can see it's a bit of jurassic modelling considering the excellent kits currently available but this kit was started a long time ago and put away for some reason. So, now for a picture: I think it is under the 25% limit, I only closed the fuselage and attached the air intake. Everything else is still to do, even if it's a very simple kit.

P_20170111_213645.jpg

• Like 2

I think you'll be fine with this, seeing as only the fuselage is closed I think you just scrape in!! Gee you have had those decals for ages, as long as they've been kept away from the light and nice and flat you should be ok.

So get a thread up and running, she'll be a nice colourful, addition to the gallery! 

Attention, could the moderators make their way to the white courtesy phone please!

My HAF F-16C Blk 50 is getting close to done. I am waiting for paint to arrive and I was thinking that I would like to go on with another F-16 build. The kit has already been started so I would like the mods blessing before I chuck this one into the mix as well.

The story so far,

Kinetic 1/48 F-16D Blk 50

The cockpit has been painted and some upper fuselage work has been started

nsr500%20update%203%20001_zpsidewdl6b.jp

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pappy said:

Attention, could the moderators make their way to the white courtesy phone please!

My HAF F-16C Blk 50 is getting close to done. I am waiting for paint to arrive and I was thinking that I would like to go on with another F-16 build. The kit has already been started so I would like the mods blessing before I chuck this one into the mix as well.

The story so far,

Kinetic 1/48 F-16D Blk 50

The cockpit has been painted and some upper fuselage work has been started

nsr500%20update%203%20001_zpsidewdl6b.jp

cheers,

Pappy

Ooooo very nice!!! You'll be fine with that one.

Ok guys, shoot me if it's a dumb question but I'm new to group builds here... I know that GB means Group Build but what means STGB? I'm participating in one but I never heard of the term before I had joined... I did searched here on Britmodeller in various topics and the main section of Group Builds but with no success...

However, if I look at the time scheduled for GB's and STGB's I think "ST" stand for: Short Term?

Hope someone can clear my mind :D

Erik

49 minutes ago, Knetterik said:

Ok guys, shoot me if it's a dumb question but I'm new to group builds here... I know that GB means Group Build but what means STGB? I'm participating in one but I never heard of the term before I had joined... I did searched here on Britmodeller in various topics and the main section of Group Builds but with no success...

However, if I look at the time scheduled for GB's and STGB's I think "ST" stand for: Short Term?

Hope someone can clear my mind :D

Erik

STGB - Single Type Group Build eg. The F-16 GB is also a STGB, while the Mediterranean GB is just a GB

cheers,

Pappy

It was inevitable, wasn't it? With my fifth build gaining momentum, I noticed Big H having a resupply of Revell C kits while also stocking the Daco strengthening plates and Modelmaker Portuguese AM decals. My PayPal balance was wiped out... Still I'm glad if I finish even one of them 😊. Best regards and happy modeling! V-P

P.S. I suppose this means I now will have enough pylons and weapons to arm a pair of Tamiya Block 50:s w/o full equipment?!?

I've been browsing the interweb trying to find pics of EPAF, Italian or Portuguese (that's 6) MLU:s with a captive Sidewinder and an ACMI pod at wingtips. Yes, that Pappy's beautiful Top Gun Viper at Tony Oliver's build thread got my juices flowing :pilot: Can anyone help me? A plane at a Tigermeet, perhaps? V-P

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had canopy issues with the 1/72 Kinetic Sufa? (or any Kinetic 2 seater in 1/72)

No matter what fettling I've tried, I just can't get it to sit flush to the fuselage - it's almost as if it's moulded too small in profile, if you know what I mean.

I'd prefer to model it closed instead of open....really annoying! :angrysoapbox.sml:

Cheers,

Dermot

well im back from my trip, hope to start on my 2 Vipers tomorrow. I have the 1/72 Tamiya F16CJ (Block 50) - Im sure I read the the cockpit should be black rather than the normal grey with black consoles due to Night Vision capability? Can anyone confirm that?

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-031b58e32717e6788e53e6a3dcfdb0ff-c?convert_to_webp=true

The older Block  30 will be FS36375?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's a bit late in the game, but if the GB is still open for entries, I'd like to participate with my 1/48 Hasegawa F-16A, original 1980s boxing!

As Block 15 decals seem to be rarer than hens' teeth, I'll likely build it as an early 1980s Dutch machine.

• Like 1

Careful not to put too much weight in the nose or your model could tip over :mellow:

aad.jpg

Came across this photo while doing a bit of research on ordnance.  No one was hurt in the runaway plane.  Unfortunately at a later time, while parked the F-16 was again tipped over by a taxying B-1

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi troops, need help identifying a loadout for the Lonestar C. Found a pic on f-16.net with it all tooled up. 

http://www.f-16.net/g3/f-16-photos/album38/album68/87-0255-1293400885

Happy with modifying the sidewinders and tacts pod. 

Questions are: 

is this the chinpod (aaq-28?)

https://www.eduard.com/store/aircraft-and-helicopters/1-72/an-aaq-28(v)-litening-pod-1-72.html?cur=1

and are these the bombs on ters?

https://www.eduard.com/store/aircraft-and-helicopters/1-72/m117-bombs-late-1-72.html?cur=1

Cheers, Tony

the bombs aren't easy, but the pod does look like the AAQ-28 Litening Pod, the head is in the stowed position. Because of the shadow you can't see the air scoop/intake at the rear of it.

Ok I found this photo which looks to have the same bombs fitted.

F-16 with Inert Bombs

They look to be very similar to Mk.82 bombs, but with different tails, after some more digging I think it's one of these;

Mk-82 BLU-111 BSU-49 Ballute 500 lb HDGP

If you go to this website and look at the second set of bombs, it the second one down.

Mk.82 BLU-111

hopefully this is helpful?

• Like 1