General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon STGB chat

trickyrich

Hi Guys,

I am currently in the building process of F-16 when today I discovered this F-16 group build...:frantic:  So maybe this is a good opportunity for my first WIP on Britmodeller... But I have already started the kit so I think you have to decide if I am over the 25% mark..

The kit and also the chosen livery:

163733-12192-pristine.jpg

And the following after market products are to be used:

968737-14213-11-pristine.jpg

197268-15526-39-pristine.jpg

175116-11298-pristine.jpg

150418-10000-pristine.jpg

121651-10000-pristine.jpg

118568-11104-30-pristine.jpg

117429-10000-pristine.jpg

107090-14213-87-pristine.jpg

The progress so far:

656a5aad954515d1eb15f9cb413c1539.jpg

Hope I am allowed to participate!

:please:

Erik

• Like 3

golly gosh!!

yes you are very much on the limit (or over :whistle:).......but seeing it's your very first Britmodeller GB and you asked very nicely.... ok then. You do still have quite a bit of work to do so it'll be interesting to follow, plus the colour scheme is really nice. It looks like there'll be a few Tiger Meets aircraft in this GB!

So get a thread started with all the details you've done so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Please, can anyone help me with the precise diameter of the searchlight in RDAF, RNoAF and ADF variants? Thanks in advance (I have drill already closeby and ready to start making holes) :pilot:...

I did a 1/48 RNoAF jet where measurements were scaled from a 99% perfect side on angle, it gave 2.4mm in 1/48, this was also confirmed by another Norwegian modeller who knows his stuff! So in 1/72 that would be 1.6mm. I just checked on the original image I used and its between 1.59 and 1.6mm for 1/72 i think if using the Revell kit. Alternatively you can drill a larger hole, insert some clear spruce for the light, then scribe a 1.6mm circle for the light, that way the 'join' might be neater. This is not exact but its bloody close imho.

The image is linked here where you can download a very high-res version to check:

GD F-16A

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 2

Thank you David! So they are smaller than those in our Hornets, I believe. 1,6mm is perfect in my modelling tolerances, I'll use a 1,5mm drill bit and then clean the opening, that's gonna be good for me. V-P

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Thank you David! So they are smaller than those in our Hornets, I believe. 1,6mm is perfect in my modelling tolerances, I'll use a 1,5mm drill bit and then clean the opening, that's gonna be good for me. V-P

I had the same difficulty initially myself trying to find the correct size, I couldn't find any tech/drawing information out there on the real thing and eventually after much searching found this useful image, hopefully it has saved you some time and happy to help. :)

David.

edit, this is how the dimensions used turned out on mine, looked about right to me!

L1090579_zpsgtymim6o.jpg

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SimonT said:

Exactly what I love about this forum, the people. 

you're very right there! That's one of the things I like about GB's and why I pretty much spent all my time in them. They're lots of fun and everyone one is so helpful and always willing to give helpful advice or that little nudge when you need it.

Well done everyone! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Wat, nobody has signed in doing an ADF variant, and even better an Italian F-16? (Yet, he thinks almost by himself...). With parts surplus for most B and D variants available, all I´d need were decals... And I`m not interested in any special paint schemes :hmmm: But maybe I better finish those four first... V-P

Does anyone know what the difference is between the F-16A and F-16A Plus kits in 1/48 from Hasegawa? I thought A's just went Blocks 1, 5, 10, 15, 25. The A kit was first released in '83 and the A Plus was released in '87 according to Scalemates.

Well, I know some diffrences;

The first Hasegawa F-16a has the gun cowling not as a separate part but one piece with the upper fuselage. Also it has the smaller stabs. Later A's have the gun cowling as a separate part.

In the A plus the later style gun cowling  is suppllied. I think the cockpit is different too. And off course the larger stabs are included, and the longer tail base for a brake chute  or ecm equipment.

I recon there are more diffrences but this is what pops up now... ;)

Erik

Edited by Knetterik
Missed a word
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Wat, nobody has signed in doing an ADF variant, and even better an Italian F-16? (Yet, he thinks almost by himself...). With parts surplus for most B and D variants available, all I´d need were decals... And I`m not interested in any special paint schemes :hmmm: But maybe I better finish those four first... V-P

I'm working on an Italian F-16A ADF at the moment but was past the 25% point when this GB started (the reason why I haven't started my Tamiya F-16C yet).

Italian Kits has standard Italian markings (item IK48001).

• Like 1

Funny how the kits one is after always seem to be sold out everywhere when you really need one. @PhantomBigStu, is this cheap enough? I bought mine there a week ago, the delivery took less than a week and I paid 12 euros shipping & handling for three kits. Germany seems to be logical place to go shopping for Revell (of Germany :rofl:) kits. Regards, V-P

Thanks, NorwegianWood! It seems mirageiv has been really precise in taking measurements! Well done, both :thumbsup: 

The searchlight seems to be situated at or very near the upper/lower fuselage seam of a Revell kit. There´s a lot of plastic there. I decided to try another method. I´ll drill a shallow 1,6mm~ish pit, not through the plastic, then add something metallic at the bottom (piece of foil? silver paint?) and fill what´s left with something clear (klear? CA glue?). If that doesn´t work out, I think I should recover that by drilling through and returning to more conventional methods. But all that can take place only after I´ve assembled the pits and joined the fuselage sections, so not this week, I believe.

Regards, V-P  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Funny how the kits one is after always seem to be sold out everywhere when you really need one. @PhantomBigStu, is this cheap enough? I bought mine there a week ago, the delivery took less than a week and I paid 12 euros shipping & handling for three kits. Germany seems to be logical place to go shopping for Revell (of Germany :rofl:) kits. Regards, V-P

shipping kills it, looks like it will have to be a uk seller, just seen wonderlands have one fairly cheap, sure Ill be ordering sone more paint from them in the coming weeks so looks like I will order from them 

• Like 1

Hi, would like to join this GB with an Italeri F16C to be finished with Daco Decals as this beauty:

FA-49.jpg?m=1371914022

The kit is already started, will submit images of progress for approval under the 25% rule.

Thanks

Fabio

• Like 1

I was asking yesterday about the difference between the F-16A and F-16A Plus kits in 1/48 from Hasegawa and Erik kindly pointed out those differences. I was asking because the A Plus kits seem to be very rare but the A in the Thunderbirds boxing does pop up now an again.

After the Hasegawa kits, what is the best option for late 80's A versions as opereated in Europe by the various NATO air arms?

Fabio, it's not for me to say but the 25% rule has been pushed in this GB already (by me inparticular) and with that scheme it would be crazy to get knocked back! Maybe the best F-16 scheme ever?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

shipping kills it, looks like it will have to be a uk seller, just seen wonderlands have one fairly cheap, sure Ill be ordering sone more paint from them in the coming weeks so looks like I will order from them 

Cooling on the idea of doing a polish one now, just found out I will also need another nozzles, which will mean the total cost goes north of 40 notes....think Ill do F16N & B/D instead

Edited by PhantomBigStu

2 hours ago, Filler said:

After the Hasegawa kits, what is the best option for late 80's A versions as opereated in Europe by the various NATO air arms?

I should say the Tamiya F-16C block 25/32. Tamiya has the best F-16 in 1/48, but you have to buy a aftermarket tail since the tailbase of a A model is thinner and does not have the antenna which can be found on C and D models. A larger base for the dragchute can also be needed.

The block 25 and 32 have the normal inlet so thats ok for an A too. The only other things maybe which you want to consider is the postion of the landing lights and the horizontal stabs. 

The landing lights on the F-16 were originally attached to the main landing gear. Don't know were they are postioned on the Tamiya Block 25/32 but I think they are on the nosewheel door since I thinks that Tamiya offers an upgraded block 25/32 airframe...

If you want to make an early block 1/5/10 F-16 as it flew in the early 80s you should look for the small stabs. Block 15 and upgraded earlier blocks have the larger stabs. 

And maybe there are couple of more small things you have to remove/add/adjust etc, such as iff antennas but I think it is a seperate part too in the Tamiya offering...

Nice airplane huh :D

Erik

Edited by Knetterik
Bad spelling