Weathering a cockpit floor

stoutdave

Hi all ... I'm starting my second build and I'd like some advice on how to achieve the required result.

I'm building an EE Lightening and I'd like to achieve a wethered / worn effect on the cockpit floor. This is the first time I've tried this (learning as I go) so any advice appreciated.

Here's a link to an image I'm working from

757%2001.jpg

And here is the basic coat on the sprue

DSC_0070.jpg

Any help appreciated on how to achieve the "worn floor" effect. It won't be easily seen in the finished model but it's a good excercise for me to start with in learning new tips and tricks.

Thanks for looking :)

Citadel Nuln oil or a black wash, followed by either a dirt brown wash or pigment, then a touch of silver drybrushing should suffice.

Hi , this is my take:

Paint your floor / cockpit very dark grey ( not black), wash with a true black to give the recessed detail and corners some depth. Dry brush in a dark grey to lift the detail a tad. Then using a citadel wash of seraphim brown ( or whatever its called this week) to suggest the dirt. Finally flatten it all down and use a normal HB or B pencil sharpened to a fine point to add the "silver" chips. You can add some more wash over some of the chips if you want to suggest older chips.

Cheers

Jonners

• Like 1

Hi , this is my take:

Paint your floor / cockpit very dark grey ( not black), wash with a true black to give the recessed detail and corners some depth. Dry brush in a dark grey to lift the detail a tad. Then using a citadel wash of seraphim brown ( or whatever its called this week) to suggest the dirt. Finally flatten it all down and use a normal HB or B pencil sharpened to a fine point to add the "silver" chips. You can add some more wash over some of the chips if you want to suggest older chips.

Cheers

Jonners

Sounds like a very good technique to use for showing off the detail in an open cockpit. The technique I stated is more intended for either a closed cockpit or if one would rather not take too long on the cockpit. Your technique is superior, though.

Sounds like a very good technique to use for showing off the detail in an open cockpit. The technique I stated is more intended for either a closed cockpit or if one would rather not take too long on the cockpit. Your technique is superior, though.

Not superior Kuro - just different.

It's funny, this got me thinking; do I detail my cockpits so I can leave the canopy open to show them off? or, do I leave my canopies open, therefore I need to detail the cockpits? I can't decide which I do, and why. Hmmm I'm possibly thinking about this too deeply.....LOL

Jonners

• Like 1

Hi chaps ... I had a stab at it and this is the almost end result (the final photo was too blurred). I achieved pretty much what I wanted for a first time attempt at this.

DSC_0075.jpg

Once the pilot was in place you can just make it out but as an excercise in learning it was worth this small effort :)

DSC_0079.jpg

Thanks for the replies :) Will refer back to them on the next build :D

• Like 1