USS Bonhomme Richard.

stevej60

Hi folks,We usually holiday near Filey on the Yorkshire coast and when visiting the town although I must have read it a

dozen or more times I always head for the Information board in the park overlooking the bay that tells the story of the

Battle of Flamborough Head and the clash between the USS Bonhomme Richard and HMS Serapis.Now I have not built

a large scale sailing ship since Airfix's Victory way back in the early seventies and after my mum did with a duster what the

French fleet failed to do at Trafalgar I think it's time to forget the trauma and build another.The Bonhomme Richard was a

converted French merchantman and the ship mostly associated with the Scots born American hero John Paul Jones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones.

Got the kit for a cracking twenty quid at a local dept. store so here goes with a

quick OOB build.Here's the boxart I got the hull halves assembled and cleaned up so I will post some pics when I get some

decent light.

rev05113_0_zpsdrj74wxg.jpg

• Like 9

Hi folks,We usually holiday near Filey on the Yorkshire coast and when visiting the town although I must have read it a

dozen or more times I always head for the Information board in the park overlooking the bay that tells the story of the

Battle of Flamborough Head and the clash between the USS Bonhomme Richard and HMS Serapis.Now I have not built

a large scale sailing ship since Airfix's Victory way back in the early seventies and after my mum did with a duster what the

French fleet failed to do at Trafalgar I think it's time to forget the trauma and build another.The Bonhomme Richard was a

converted French merchantman and the ship mostly associated with the Scots born American hero John Paul Jones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones.

Got the kit for a cracking twenty quid at a local dept. store so here goes with a

quick OOB build.Here's the boxart I got the hull halves assembled and cleaned up so I will post some pics when I get some

decent light.

rev05113_0_zpsdrj74wxg.jpg

Saw this one at Telford about the same price and as usual hummed and hared about will I build it or not will have to see what you make of it Steve and then will probabley get one anyway

Looking forward to you getting this one underway mate :popcorn::popcorn:

Beefy

• Like 1

Thank;s Beefy,I,ve seen it online for sixteen quid at Wonderland a lot of plastic for your money! Here's the hull primed but be warned although the

engraved detail is beautifully done this is at least a fifty year old kit so fit is challenging in places I swore a lot at the stern panel in particular.Just

popped Airfix,s Mary rose for a size comparison.

DSCN0282%20640x480_zpsggijw6ba.jpg

DSCN0284%20640x480_zpsat6vvky9.jpg

• Like 8

Shall follow with interest, and watch out for the kit too since I have a scratch built HMS Serapis on the go :thumbsup2:

Edited by MikeyJ
  • Like 1

Nice one Steve.

That's a nice size ship for the price lol.

You going to add sails an all.

:popcorn::popcorn:

foxy :coolio:

Thanks foxy,the sails will be fitted there is no option to leave them off without major surgery.

What was the fit like along the figurehead?

not bad considering how warped that part of the hull was.

Three ship models Steve? It's official, you're hooked! :doh:

And I,ve got the Mauritania coming from Airfix a snip at a fiver! Quite like the hospital ship scheme!

• Like 1

And I,ve got the Mauritania coming from Airfix a snip at a fiver! Quite like the hospital ship scheme!

It's a long slippery slope downhill from now on. Won't be long before you get your first 1/200 ship, then you'll be signing a pact with the very devil himself.

What was that line in 'Jaws'? Oh yes, 'need to get a bigger boat!'.

• Like 2

Hi folk,s just an update for the last few days,Primed the hull and sprayed the relevant colours after a ton of masking tape used! I have started detailing

gun port hatches and need to paint the ports black before adding the gun muzzles.I am going gloss the hull and decks then put a wash into the lovely

engraved wood grain which sadly my photo's don't show.

DSCN0294%20640x480_zpsqfalhnt6.jpg

• Like 8

Filey? Would that be the Butlin's camp there? Our last school trip was there back in the early 80's. A load of us took great delight in going on the chair lift and letting go many and varied inflated prophylactics. Ah, the halcyon days of naughtiness.

• Like 2

What a great project! Wasn't until recently I learned of Cap'n Jones (obviously prior to his service with Led Zeppelin) and his adventures, taking the fight to the enemy -with a lot of nerve. It was only by accident that I was trying to sleep through a Discovery show about a USN deep recovery vessel having a trawl for the wreck off Flamborough Head, and stayed wide awake instead...

I'll book a seat for this one, if I may! :popcorn:

• Like 1

Filey? Would that be the Butlin's camp there? Our last school trip was there back in the early 80's. A load of us took great delight in going on the chair lift and letting go many and varied inflated prophylactics. Ah, the halcyon days of naughtiness.

We do Reighton Darby,next site down from what was Butlin's,I was there in 1966 as a kid when England beat Germany in the world cup,ironic really

as Butlin's was like Stalag XII with a swimming pool!

• Like 1

Hi all.small update,the main hull has been glossed and a dark wash applied to the white portion and decks just to bring a little life to the wood grain.

I am putting a light tan was on the dark wood area's then a matt coat over the lot,just a few touch up's to do around the gun port's too.Thanks for

popping in.

DSCN0297%20640x480_zps8gfompmu.jpg

DSCN0299%20640x480_zpszabyjsao.jpg

• Like 5

Coming along nicely. What colour did you use for the hull? I notice Tyne Tees is still broadcasting up there. Is Paul Frost still an anchorman?

Tamiya NATO brown Darby with a touch of yellow,no Frosty left as Northern Life's frontman a good few years ago although he is still a leading figure in

TV production and I think he still lives in the area.

• Like 1

Hi all after a couple of days taped up and drying the deck's are set nicely and I,m happy enough with the look so cracking on with this one as well as

more progress on the Fletcher.

DSCN0306%20640x480_zpsnns0aeku.jpg

DSCN0307%20640x480_zpsmxak32af.jpg

• Like 5