Mig-31BM Foxhound 1:48

Mike

Spotted a minor mistake in the instructions a moment ago. The intake lip roof skins are marked as G8 & 7, when they're G9 & 10 on the sprues. They're identical anyway, so it's no biggie. Guess which parts I'm doing at the moment? :)

The detail is wonderful don't think any aftermarket gear will be needed looking at that !!

Mike your doing a sterling job.

Guy

The primer went on easily enough, and I've now followed up with some White Aluminium lacquer, which having found out what nasty chemicals are still allowed because they're "hobby paints", I took the precaution of wearing a respirator and cranking up the booth to MAX. I've grown accustomed to having lungs, and would like to keep it that way :owww:

It's a little on the bright side as it stands, but a gloss coat and a wash will doubtless tone it down and help the detail pop :)

intake2.jpg

If Royal Mail comes through tomorrow :pray: I might be able to start on the cockpit too. I could have mixed up my own shade, but I've got a few Russki subjects I'd like to do, so stocking up on the correct colour will be so much easier, and AKAN paints do the job as far as colour fidelity goes :) I've also got the correct hub green and radome grey coming too.

• Like 5

Here's a question for yon' experts. There aren't any seatbelts in the kit, and I have two seats that are awfully well done, and would look silly without 'em. Would I be able to fit a set of Mig-21 KM-1 belts to the K-36DM, as the strapping looks the same to my eyes. The Mig-29 used the K-36DM, so could I use those? Either that, or do I go for a couple of pilots to give it some human scale? :hmmm:

You might have a point Chris. I might pinch some belts out of an Eduard Mig-29 set for the GWH kit, as I've got both early & late, which include the same belts. Anyone have an issue? :) not strictly OOB, but it's not scratch-building! ;)

While I was waiting for the silver to gas off, I took the nippers to some more parts, and somehow managed to build up the wing onto the upper fuselage in a few minutes. The parts are again... click-fit with very neat tolerances, sprue gates on unimportant edges, and if they have to be somewhere prominent like the intake lip, they have been placed on TOP of the lip, rather than coming out of it. Sio is a modeller at heart, I just know it! :lol:

The outer upper panels clip into place too, and their joint with the inner wing panel that's moulded into the fuselage creates the shallow trench into which the fences fit, with the longer tab to the front. This kit really does make for happy modelling ^_^

wings1.jpg

Check out the structure that holds it all in place! :shocked:

wings2.jpg

Oh, and don't forget to drill out the holes in the lower wing for the pylons :)

• Like 9

I've just been mooching about getting references for the wheel bays to help me with detail painting, and stumbled across this site here. I now want the new AMK Mig-25 tooling right now, and I also want a 2-seat trainer, because that horrible nose looks AWESOME!!!!! :yahoo:

Sorry - I'm having too much fun building this :blush:

• Like 2

Here's a question for yon' experts. There aren't any seatbelts in the kit, and I have two seats that are awfully well done, and would look silly without 'em. Would I be able to fit a set of Mig-21 KM-1 belts to the K-36DM, as the strapping looks the same to my eyes. The Mig-29 used the K-36DM, so could I use those? Either that, or do I go for a couple of pilots to give it some human scale? :hmmm:

You can use the MiG-29 belts according to one of the guys that assisted AMK with the references for the kit.

Is a MiG-31 really as big as I think it is? From the pics in Mike's link it looks huge, but there is little scale. It feels like a grown man could stand upright in the hot end of the engine.

Also: the 2-seater... that's just wrong. Kinda reminds me a little of that Gloster Meteor with the prone pilot

*edit* nevermind... just neede to scroll down some more. It really is *that* big.

Edited by Basosz

Not really a fan of these Russian fighters, but this looks a stunning kit and agree about the Mig 25 too. Great start Mike, those interior parts are superbly detailed and love the way the fuselage has been strengthened, built to last like the real thing :)

The MiG-31 is not something that would normally appear on my modelling radar (pardon the pun) but AMK seem to have done such a stunning job on this, much like their L-29 Delphin and CM.170 Magister, that I suspect I will end up getting one in due course. Great work, Mike, and I look forward to seeing the finished article.

Mark

:hypnotised: You do need it, and you're perfectly welcome to blame me for tempting you. I have broad shoulders and don't mind a couple of thousand wives & partners blaming me for things ;)

Incidentally, Martin from Coastal Craft came through with the paints, and RM did their part :yahoo:

• Like 1

Mike, the 2 seat Mig-25 is HIGH on my list, hopefully AMK do produce it at some point... Or maybe just a separate conversion for anyone wanting to build the 2 seat?

Not really a fan of these Russian fighters

tut tut :poke:

• Like 1