Mig-31BM Foxhound 1:48

Mike

Thanks James :)

I was adding a few bay doors and their linkages, and thought it was time for another weapons test. Once I'd found them (buried under a mass of Metal Color bottles), I just popped them on loose and snapped a pic quickly before they all fell off again! :lol:

weapons3.jpg

I'm getting clumsy now, so I think I'd better leave it there for the time being :unsure:

I almost forgot. I got my replacement MiG specific static wicks the other day, and after Gabor told me the correct colours, I've just glued 13 of them (one pinged off to Bod knows where) to a stirring stick, sprayed them Metal Color chrome, and dotted some of that dirty red on the ends. They'll be the absolute last thing I apply to the model, as the trailing edges are too thin to drill with even a 0.5mm bit, so they'll have to go on butt-jointed, and will therefore be pretty delicate. :unsure:

• Like 9

I've also added a punched disc of white decal film to the circular depression just in front of the nose, which Gabor (where would I be without him?) informs me should be white :)

I agree that Gabor has been as good with detail about this as AMK have with the kit. I'm hoping that Gabor will put a sticky up somewhere with all those pictures and details so that we can all benefit from his work. I'm back from hols now so can restart mine, this thread will be fantastic to refer to, and to have Gabor's info will make all the difference.

Now, I have a second kit that begged me to take it home, would it be sacrilegious to suggest that I may build the second one in a camo scheme similar to that that graced some MiG-25's......?

Hi Lesthegringo,

All the information is here in Mikes build. This is why I contacted him, to add all the missing points from the instruction sheet and a bit more. For the moment I don’t have a plan to build the 31's I have, first will have to prepare some resin detail bits and pieces that I would like to add to my kit. I did post the painting of the R-33 missile, it was just a trial to see what the missile is like with some paint on and to try some metallic product.

cg%20R33%209_zpsmquwc1vu.jpg

cg%20R33%2010_zpslqvlgrvl.jpg

R33%2016%20K%201_zpsr26cgcay.jpg

A camo MiG-31 would have nothing to do with real life but please feel free to do it. There are not laws against it and you will not have the Spanish Inquisition knocking on your door. :D Of course it will be a What If.

Have to add that one of the best What Ifs I have seen at a competition was a 48th TSR-2 built with Viggen style Swedish camo. :worthy: It was amazing! It looked superb but was placed in our category of "48th jets" and not in the "What If" category so we had to reject judging it. :(

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 11

Morning Gabor. I just had to say AMAZING! To see such detail on your missile is simply stunning! If ANY of my builds were even half as good I'd be a happy man.

Morning Mike. I've been following your build since the start and am simply humbled by your skill level. Keep up the good work and I look forward to your next update.

Hi Simon,

Thanks but I only added paint, its all there in the kit. Minimal sanding was required on the missile, but it is possible that it was only due to the fact that I had an early test example in late September. It is possible the full scale production versions are even better.

Apart from this it was only painting and some decals (the AMK decals were not available in September), in this case I had to paint some of the markings and get some additional decals from the Eduard MiG-21 kit.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Lesthegringo,

All the information is here in Mikes build. This is why I contacted him, to add all the missing points from the instruction sheet and a bit more. For the moment I don’t have a plan to build the 31's I have, first will have to prepare some resin detail bits and pieces that I would like to add to my kit. I did post the painting of the R-33 missile, it was just a trial to see what the missile is like with some paint on and to try some metallic product.

Have to add that one of the best What Ifs I have seen at a competition was a 48th TSR-2 built with Viggen style Swedish camo. :worthy: It was amazing! It looked superb but was placed in our category of "48th jets" and not in the "What If" category so we had to reject judging it. :(

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks Gabor - I was just wondering about the photos of the details, but certainly would look back through here for your input.

Those missiles look incredible, hope mine come out half as good.

As for a TSR-2 with a Swedish splinter camouflage scheme, I have to agree that it would look sensational. I saw the prototype at Duxford last week and it reminded me what an incredible looking aircraft it was, and of course how big it is too!

Hi Lesthegringo,

cg%20R33%209_zpsmquwc1vu.jpg

A camo MiG-31 would have nothing to do with real life but please feel free to do it. There are not laws against it and you will not have the Spanish Inquisition knocking on your door. :D Of course it will be a What If.

Best regards

Gabor

Hehe, I used your pics as reference for my Amos missiles :P good stuff!

Anyway, She's done! I'll have pics of my build as soon as I figure out how to shoot it in my booth.

We had a slight case of no electricity yesterday, and as my workshop has zero natural light (which explains why I'm transparent these days), I couldn't do a tap. In total it was off from around 11am to 11pm, with a brief respite at tea time when they jury-rigged a temporary feed to the affected houses. There was precious little I could do other than get some 12v lighting and start on my First Order Stormtrooper, which I've been wanting to do since he arrived. I managed to get his head, torso and legs done before tea, so I'm more than half-way there :)

I've now forgotten where I was up to with the Mig, so I'll be mostly scratching my head for the next hour or so :hmmm:

Not much to show for today's efforts, but once I'd got my head round where I was and needed to be, I started adding the details to my missiles along the lines of Gabor's. I mixed up a pinkish colour to do the mastic around the glazing, which is applied in a sometimes haphazard manner by the erks. Seriously - that stuff is lashed on any how, but if I did the same it would look like I had the DTs, so I hand-painted it in two coats with my trusty W&N Series 7 000. I also added sealant to the cockpit sills & canopy rails, although the canopy is closed at the moment. I've got the missiles, pitot probe and spine antenna to add, plus the canopy rams, and then she'll be done :)

airframe11.jpg

• Like 12

I've now forgotten where I was up to with the Mig, so I'll be mostly scratching my head for the next hour or so :hmmm:

they say memory is the first to go as one gets older...

:D :D :D :D :D

Thanks fellas - I've glued the 33s on, and have glued the inner pylons on too, so we're getting closer to the endgame. I'm currently painting up the canopy openers chrome & cockpit green, before liberating them from the sprues. :)

After reading this thread, plus posts in other threads, it seems this kit is one of the best in the world as far as quality.

I would really love to build a Mig-25. I've heard the Kitty Hawk offering has many issues, most beyond my current skill level. Do you think AMK will offer a Mig-25 boxing of this kit? If I'm not mistaken, isn't the Mig-31 essentially the same airframe as the Mig-25, other than the cockpit? Seems like they could do a Mig-25 from these molds if that's the case.

• Like 1

The MiG-25 is a completely different aircraft from the MiG-31 although there are few bits and pieces which were salvaged from the 25 design and incorporated into the new interceptor. As far as its name go, yes the MiG-31 did start its life as a MiG-25M version or to be more precise Ye-155MP (inter design bureau designation Izdeliye 83).

No, there is no way you can build a MiG-25 interceptor from the AMK MiG-31 kit! The good part of the news is that AMK has announced that it will do a MiG-25 kit in 2016. Still waiting for detailed announcement on which version will be produced.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

After reading this thread, plus posts in other threads, it seems this kit is one of the best in the world as far as quality.

I would really love to build a Mig-25. I've heard the Kitty Hawk offering has many issues, most beyond my current skill level. Do you think AMK will offer a Mig-25 boxing of this kit? If I'm not mistaken, isn't the Mig-31 essentially the same airframe as the Mig-25, other than the cockpit? Seems like they could do a Mig-25 from these molds if that's the case.

AMK are working on a Mig-25 for release later this year.

Ah, now I see that Gábor beat me to the punch!

Edited by March

Job done... that was fun! :yahoo:

I didn't glue on the static wicks before I took the photos, as I expected most of them to get pinged off during handling :wacko:

Teaser pic:

mig-31bm-3.jpg

You can find the rest here in RFI. Thanks for watching, and especially to Gabor for his super-useful insights :)

• Like 27