Mig-31BM Foxhound 1:48

Mike

I spent a little time decaling the topside of the Mig this avo, and as I mentioned earlier, all the decals are split into sections of the aircraft, which makes it so much easier than the almost random layout you get from some decal artists. You simply cut out the section you want to deal with, then cut the individual or group of decals you want to apply to whichever panel or section you're working on. The decals are very thin and conform nicely with minimum effort, and react well to Mr Mark Softer, settling into panel lines with just light pressure from a cotton bud. I did the stencils first, then added the stars on the upper wing, as I'm trying to keep it sensible to reduce the likelihood of accidentally removing decals whilst working on other areas.

decals1.jpg

Well done! Good work!

Thanks for the kind words fellas. Nothing done so far because we've been wrapping presents today for the Boy, but I'm hoping to make a little more progress with the decals later on. Think I'll do the underside this session, then do the sides in successive sessions so I don't disturb any that are drying.

Once I'm done, I'll be holding out for an AMK Mig-25 to go next for it. Don't you just love these kits? :wub:

• Like 2

This does take me back to my childhood when my Dad bought me the Revell Foxbat for Christmas around 1980. If I remember correctly it had 31 in big red letters on the side and ended up flying down a fishing line zipwire from my bedroom window to the shed at the end of the garden doing its best to avoid the air rifle AAA from the other window!

I may just have to get this in January!

I would hope you haven't got the same planned for this one Kev :frantic: Did you fly your kit out of your bedroom window cos no-one would buy you this?

superfd1.jpg

I did :blush:

• Like 5

I would hope you haven't got the same planned for this one Kev :frantic: Did you fly your kit out of your bedroom window cos no-one would buy you this?

superfd1.jpg

I did :blush:

OMG - that brought back a memory and a half that I wasn't expecting from this thread

I had something very similar but it wasn't this Airfix one. It was a toy where you spread two lines of nylon-type string apart with handles and then bring them together to land the aircraft on a runway

no cool arrester hook though

Hi Martin (Mr AMK).

Is there any chance that, as a Christmas/New Years prezzy to Britmodellers, you could point your research and development team at a Blackburn Buccaneer.

Pretty please.

Sorry (not really) for any hijacking. :thumbsup:

Dave

• Like 3

Sorry about all that nostalgia and lack of progress :blush: I've just been decaling the underside of the beast, and it went swimmingly. Have I mentioned I love the way the decals are laid out? I have? Oh.... :unsure:

I also unmasked the intakes, as there will be a couple of decals placed in there, and there are no more major paint jobs to do that would damage the finish.

decals2.jpg

Forgot to mention that I spot painted a circular grey panel under the nose, and added a couple of discs of foil to some other panels that should be silver. It'll look a little flatter once the matt coat is on :)

• Like 11

Mike, could you try to take a good picture of the intakes if you have some time? I found it amazing the level of details by looking at the parts, and I would like to see how they look like when assembled and painted.

Thanks chaps :)

Mike, could you try to take a good picture of the intakes if you have some time? I found it amazing the level of details by looking at the parts, and I would like to see how they look like when assembled and painted.

I'll try & remember tomorrow if I get chance. I did a little more decaling of the port side this avo, and dug out my black decal strip to sort out the leading edges of the dielectric strip on the tail. I just need to check the pics to see where it needs to go before I apply it. I also need to remember to paint that blade antenna on the tail dielectric grey too. Thanks to Gabor for those little tips :thumbsup:

Thanks chaps :)

I'll try & remember tomorrow if I get chance. I did a little more decaling of the port side this avo, and dug out my black decal strip to sort out the leading edges of the dielectric strip on the tail. I just need to check the pics to see where it needs to go before I apply it. I also need to remember to paint that blade antenna on the tail dielectric grey too. Thanks to Gabor for those little tips :thumbsup:

Thanks! I will insist again if you forget, as the intake area is something that has appealed to me in this kit. Kitty Hawk, with their MiG-25 also in 1/48 and with very good details, didn't care about providing full intake trunks.

For my ICM MiG-25 kit, I used the trunks from a Academy F-15 in order not to have a flat plastic sealing the intakes. It is not the same, but for a 1/72 kit it is a reasonable solution. So few attention is given to this area by many manufactures, while having it adds a lot of realism.

Edited by Romanov

I also need to remember to paint that blade antenna on the tail dielectric grey too.

Hi Mike,

Sorry you will need also to do the small bumps on the side of the intake. They are/should be grey too. One would need a very sharp eye to see on the instruction sheet that these details are actually shown with a different colour/shade. But there are no additional notes to help the builder. Mike it is not only you but on some other forums the builders a missing this fine points also. I think AMK will need to do some corrections to the instruction sheet, adding notes to the colour 4 views, pointing out what should be what colour instead of only reproducing the certain parts in colour print.

Best regards

Gabor

I think AMK will need to do some corrections to the instruction sheet, adding notes to the colour 4 views, pointing out what should be what colour instead of only reproducing the certain parts in colour print.

I agree with Gabor.

The colour profiles look like they were reduced in size at some point, perhaps to save on space, which has compromised some of the smaller paint detail, making them difficult to see unless you know they're there. That's why I like having you guys on hand to help out! :thumbsup:

I've just finished decaling the port side, although I've not done the inner face of the fin for obvious reasons. There are a lot of stencils on the sides of the Foxhound, and I've got the starboard side left to do! :frantic: I'm taking my time though, so it's going quite well :)

decals3.jpg

The shiny decals on the curved surfaces are just catching the light BTW, they're not silvered :)

• Like 12

There's still time to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory though Kev ;) I'm desperate to finish it for New Year though, so I can put it in my Year Book entry, to avoid looking like I've done nowt all year! :unsure:

• Like 1

I wonder if I have any chance of making my Zvezda/Revell 1:72 Foxhound look as nice as this outstanding work of art that Mike is treating us to...or will I be implored to join the "one quarter inch equals a foot" dark side?

Cheers,

Bill

There's still time to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory though Kev ;) I'm desperate to finish it for New Year though, so I can put it in my Year Book entry, to avoid looking like I've done nowt all year! :unsure:

you could switch to the Chinese calendar... that gives you till Feb. 8

• Like 3