Mig-31BM Foxhound 1:48

Mike

Hi Mike,

I dont know if it is in your plans and till now it was left off, but also missing from the instruction sheet is the stainless stell leading edge of the horizotal stabs.

Have a look at photos.

Best regards

Gabor

I'm having trouble finding good photos of this, and although I have one that looks metallic from side-on, the majority look like they're radome grey. :hmmm:

I'm having trouble finding good photos of this, and although I have one that looks metallic from side-on, the majority look like they're radome grey. :hmmm:

Hi Mike,

Please send me a PM with email address and I show you few photos.

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks chap :) Dark aluminium leading edges to the stabs is now in place thanks to Gabor :) I've had a quick shufti at the instructions, and so'nuff, there's a slightly different colour on the painting guide, but you can only really see it if you're looking hard at it.

If I'm lucky tomorrow, I might get around to putting some of the stickers on :unsure:

I've done a little bit more in between a Christmas Lights disaster (the bulbs were going out one by one), and managed to turn her over onto the underside to do some more scribbling. Phone camera again, sorry! :photo:

paintbooth4.jpg

I do like a bit of scribbling me! A sharp build of a sharp kit - cracking stuff Mike. :)

Masking is the only way I'll ever get a straight line :blush:

In other news, I began working on the decals today. Weapons first, and I have to say, they go down really nicely and it's good to have them sectioned up between various areas. Even the airframe decals are split between port, starboard top & bottom, which will make the job of "hunt the decal" so much easier :)

• Like 1

I want one!!!

But they are not coming to Brazil... I've checked in all model shops in São Paulo (biggest city in Brazil) but no one will receive it... No dealer is interested in the Brazilian modeling market... 😢

Superb kit, Martin!

Fabulous job, Mike!

Edited by LT Motta

Your photos are great Mike. Lots of happy modellers following your build, and bits of insight from the many contributors make this an interesting read. So glad to see a manufacturer with its quality standards so high.

Thanks for that :)

I spent a little time decaling the topside of the Mig this avo, and as I mentioned earlier, all the decals are split into sections of the aircraft, which makes it so much easier than the almost random layout you get from some decal artists. You simply cut out the section you want to deal with, then cut the individual or group of decals you want to apply to whichever panel or section you're working on. The decals are very thin and conform nicely with minimum effort, and react well to Mr Mark Softer, settling into panel lines with just light pressure from a cotton bud. I did the stencils first, then added the stars on the upper wing, as I'm trying to keep it sensible to reduce the likelihood of accidentally removing decals whilst working on other areas.

decals1.jpg

Which side shall I do next? Almost forgot - can you see the metallic leading edges of the stabs? They barely show up, but then so don't the real ones :doh:

• Like 14

Cracking work again Mike. Said it once many years ago but it's worth repeating: Mike Williams - Modelling God :mike:

Have to give credit to AMK for solving problems most of us modellers didn't even think about. Sectioned decal sheets. Great thinking Martin and team :goodjob:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks fellas :) @Col. While theming decals on a sheet isn't new, the standard practice usually involves a "common" section for the whole airframe, but AMK's further breakdown between areas of the fuselage makes it so easy to do the job, and you're not punching little holes in a giant sheet, just handling a small section of it at a time. It makes for very relaxing decaling. One decal had me scratching my head for a second though. On the rear of the pylons are decals marked 208, so for four pylons you would need 8 decals, one for each side. There are only 4 provided under 208, but there are 4 more marked as 207. I looked them both over and decided that one side is probably supposed to have 207, the other 208, but as no-one will ever notice, I just put them on. They're so small you'd need a microscope to tell the difference :)

Brilliant! After seeing this, there's really no point in starting mine. Won't ever look half as good as your model. :(

I'll happily take it off your hands Peter :wicked: