Mig-31BM Foxhound 1:48

Mike

Spose the paint looks alright... ;)

Really liking that. Was that achieved just with post shading and playing with shades of the same colour?

Cheers chap :) All I did was drop in a bit of white to the original colour, and noodled that on, being careful not to overdo the contrast. Nothing momentous, but a bit tedious in terms of getting the right bite on the brush, and dealing with any blockages. I had to dial the pressure back a bit to reduce the likelihood of spiders, but it does happen occasionally, so you have to be quick and wipe 'em off. :)

I did a bit of light weather streaking on the nose after a pic I'd seen, just by starting a tiny trail of paint & then moving over the panel top to bottom very close and very quick. You might be able to see it in the pics if you squint. :nerd:

I've resigned myself to reinstating the broken wicks, and that's one thing I wish they (all) wouldn't do. Dave has some metal ones from Master Barrels to review in 1:48, so I'll probably pinch those in the end. :ninja:

• Like 2

I've resigned myself to reinstating the broken wicks, and that's one thing I wish they (all) wouldn't do. Dave has some metal ones from Master Barrels to review in 1:48, so I'll probably pinch those in the end. :ninja:

Good tactic - I'll look out for the review, maybe pick some up when I'm back in UK for crimbo hols. Time to check out the Hannants site methinks

Les

Cheers chap :) All I did was drop in a bit of white to the original colour, and noodled that on, being careful not to overdo the contrast. Nothing momentous, but a bit tedious in terms of getting the right bite on the brush, and dealing with any blockages. I had to dial the pressure back a bit to reduce the likelihood of spiders, but it does happen occasionally, so you have to be quick and wipe 'em off. :)

I did a bit of light weather streaking on the nose after a pic I'd seen, just by starting a tiny trail of paint & then moving over the panel top to bottom very close and very quick. You might be able to see it in the pics if you squint. :nerd:

Thanks for that, its something I need to work myself into slowly, all help is good.

Wicks? Whats them? See - noob.

• Like 1

N'kay... some pics do look more like grey, but I wasn't convinced either way if I'm honest. They're a bit dark, and some are grubby. Matt aluminium or grey would look very similar in the end ;)

I gave her a protective coat of Klear this avo, and went on to mask the anti-glare panel and its oppo underneath off, using the panels & lines to get it as close as I could, with minimal tape adhesion, and lots of Post-It notes acting as baffles to reduce the chances of over-spray tripping me up. I sprayed them Panzer Grey, then added a few drops of black to the remains and sprayed the edges and panel lines, which has almost blended in totally, but gives the matt colour a kind of dusty look. Now it's been overcoated with Klear to protect it though, it all looks the same :shrug:

airframe8.jpg

Someone wanted paint pots for scale, so I threw the ones I was using in there without dusting the lids off :blush:

I've also been painting up the missiles and pylons, plus the bay doors, which I've preliminarily painted grey per Martin's suggestion, but they can always go silver if he comes back with anything else. The R-33s have their white and steel coats done, but need a nice shiny band of polished metal just behind the nose cone, so I'll be doing some more masking once the Klear has dried on the steel. :)

• Like 11

Hi all,

I received my MiG-31 today (plus a L-29 Delfin) from Sincere Hobby via the ruthless Portuguese Customs in Lisbon, it looks as good as the reviews said, I'll just wait for the aftemarket goodies and presumably in March I'll start this fabulous kit, meanwhile I will look and learn from Mike's WIP.

• Like 1

Gotta keep moving, or I fall asleep! :lol:

Wasn't happy with the metallic colour of the missiles, and the Alclad was coming off with the masking tape (something that it seems to do), so I'm choosing a different shade and will have to remask the shiny bits :rolleyes:

N'kay... some pics do look more like grey, but I wasn't convinced either way if I'm honest. They're a bit dark, and some are grubby. Matt aluminium or grey would look very similar in the end ;)

Update - Just spoke to Anton about this as he’s the expert on this monster.

His reply to my question for the colour:

It is hard to give a good answer because this can vary a lot. I have seen it in grey (same as fuselage, slightly darker?) in yellow (primer) on the big side doors and in silver/alu on all. And that is all just within BM/BSM. Preferably one would check vs the specific frame as i have seen all those variations just within the Kansk airbase for example. Blue 93 has it all in alu/silver i believe.

• Like 2

Update - Just spoke to Anton about this as he’s the expert on this monster.

His reply to my question for the colour:

referably one would check vs the specific frame as i have seen all those variations just within the Kansk airbase for example. Blue 93 has it all in alu/silver i believe.[/size][/font][/color]”

This is blue 93 please....

-31-1_zpsfrhhan3l.jpg

Guys, the instructions say that the wheel bay doors are the main fuselage colour, but on the inside would they be silver like the wheel bays?

Also, would the intake doors and airbrakes be in the open or closed position for a parked aircraft?

Cheers

Les

Turns out the 'airbrakes' are in fact the part of the main gear door set... :doh: I did wonder why they were deployed on takeoff on the box photo.

The intake doors are down (open) on the plane in the ARC walkaround, so that's how mine will eventually be

Les

Mike, did you forget to paint the windshield frame in black? http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/d/8495-3/image0023.jpg

Yes and no. The extent of the colour demarcation seems to vary from airframe to airframe. I was going by a pic of Blue 15, thinking they would be consistent! :lol: Looking back at the instructions, the whole front frame on Blue 93 is outlined in black (and pink nasty) :rolleyes:

That looks fantastic so far Mike!

I may have missed it somewhere... but what colors and process did you use on the airframe?

-Anthony

What a nice paint job.

Mike, did you make any preshading, or maybe something more, before you had put primer colour?

Thanks lads ^_^ I gave the airframe a grey primer coat, then put a good layer of AKAN 73059 Grey (Faded) on the whole thing, and when that was done, added a few drops of white to the basic colour, then scribbled on the panels here and there with my airbrush with the trigger drawn back so that the paint just flowed. A long and laborious process, but not particularly technical ;)

I'm having a rest tonight now, as I can barely stay awake :sleep_1:

Now it's been overcoated with Klear to protect it though, it all looks the same :shrug:

So annoying when this happens! :winkgrin: Far too often for me and I never learn to overdo it initially.

Anyways, it really is looking amazing and the paint shading is probably the best I have seen, not overdone and just right for me. Look forward to how the whole lot will look in the end!

David.