Mig-31BM Foxhound 1:48

Mike

:yahoo: Mark's getting a Foxhound! ^_^

I'd already twigged the tyre slip-marks, but hadn't got round to putting them on yet. It was late, and I wanted to prove I'd actually done something ;)

Today saw the momentous event that was the installation of the intake trunks and main gear bays into the fuselage. It's clamped up waiting for the glue to set at the moment, and looks more like a Mech-spider than a Mig-31, but I wanted to get a neat fit between the skin and the bays, which have the potential to be superb with a little pressure. I've left the lower bay margin loose for now and will glue that when I have the clamps off the sides. God forbid, it's starting to come together! Must crack on with the cockpit next - it's still not finished :blush:

fuselage2.jpg

• Like 5

Ahah! ^_^ I'm glad you mentioned that. :smartass: that's taped to the bottom of the fuselage to ensure that the little actuator rams for the front air-brake/gear bay cover don't get snapped off when I slat the thing down on the desk without thinking ;)

• Like 2

Oh Danny, Danny, Danny... :fraidnot: How little you know! :rofl: You can't see the clip at the rear that is splattered with silver paint (it is one of the older ones). The Berna clamps get so little use that they're clean by default. I've just found the missing end grommet on my desk actually. If you're ever passing Chester, you should drop in to see just how far off the mark you really were ;)

Thanks though ^_^

• Like 1

Wheels now replete with their tyre-slip indicator marks and a coat of Klear to toughen up the paint. Hubs were done in Lifecolor UA522 Interior Green, while the tyres were Vallejo Dark Rubber with some highlights on the contact patch in light rubber.

wheels1.jpg

• Like 7

Oh Danny, Danny, Danny... :fraidnot: How little you know! :rofl: You can't see the clip at the rear that is splattered with silver paint (it is one of the older ones). The Berna clamps get so little use that they're clean by default. I've just found the missing end grommet on my desk actually. If you're ever passing Chester, you should drop in to see just how far off the mark you really were ;)

Thanks though ^_^

:lol:

haha, your secret's out now! Keep the posh clean clamps for in front of the camera, I like that!

Thanks for the offer, and if I ever find my passport and get north of the M25 I may well take you up on it, lol ;)

The wheels look cracking btw, really like the idea of lightening the shade of rubber on the outsides, really adds depth. :worthy:

That red mark on the wheel... is that to indicate how much the tires spin around the hub when landing? (if so, why is this important?) Or is it to indicate how to re-allign them when they need to separate (when putting in new tires perhaps)?

That red mark on the wheel... is that to indicate how much the tires spin around the hub when landing? (if so, why is this important?) Or is it to indicate how to re-allign them when they need to separate (when putting in new tires perhaps)?

It is called, or the way we were trained to call it, a "creep" mark. To make sure that the tire does not spin on the wheel, which could lead to more problems. Tires and wheels are normally aligned according to matching the heaviest and lightest parts to each to get the best match.

Those kit wheels look fantastic.

• Like 1

It is called, or the way we were trained to call it, a "creep" mark. To make sure that the tire does not spin on the wheel, which could lead to more problems. Tires and wheels are normally aligned according to matching the heaviest and lightest parts to each to get the best match.

So it's a balance thing? Like what they do with your car tires when they attach those small bits of lead?

There can be as much, normally quite a bit more, imbalance created by unequal rubber distribution in the manufacture of a tyre than there is with the tolerances of manufacture of a wheel. "Wheel balancing" is more "tyre balancing".

• Like 1

A bit of actual progress in the painting department. I've been working on the landing gear, as there's a lot of small parts painted the same grey that are put in during the early stages, to be joined by the big bits later. I thought I might as well do it all in one go, so have been scraping, sanding and filling the odd ejector pin mark with that in mind. Some silver for the struts, and AKAN 73059 for the legs, then some Ultimate Dark Dirt wash, which has only had its first removal phase done. I'll tidy up with fresh eyes tomorrow.

I also got the wheels and hubs done. The tyres suffered from the lip on the inner rim being ever so slightly proud, so there was a bit of a groove on the outer seam, so I ran a bead of CA round the circumference and then sanded it back when cured. You'd never know it had been there, but if I had some after market wheels, I'd probably use them instead. While these look good now, I think the tyres could have more detail :)

If that's the biggest "problem" with the build - my preferring the easy route for the wheels, then we're not doing too badly ;) The main gear will be de-washed tomorrow, and it will all be cleaned up and sealed in with some varnish.

The whells bays as i can recal it should be green/