Mig-31BM Foxhound 1:48

Mike

That looks more like it. I've also seen photos that don't show any blue tone to the grey, so it goes to show that even when you have colour photos, you can't always trust 'em. Sadly, I don't think I'll be seeing a real Foxhound any time soon, so I'm going to go with my gut when it comes time to paint it. I have a bottle of AKAN Grey (faded) 73059) that is marked as base colour for Mig-25/31 (plus others), and that's very grey... not really much you could call blue in it at all :shrug:

Shots taken late or early in daylight hours are mostly likely to have a colour cast. So much depends on software used during image processing. Airliners.net have some of the highest standards for photo screening before being accepted for their data base. Some times a colour cast can be detected in parts of the image that should be a purer white.

• Like 1

I've haven't heard of AMK before seeing this thread...but they are on my radar now! :shocked: I may even consider one of these 31s down the road (and I haven't really done much w/ ruskie airpower to date).

But it has got me looking at their Kfir now, probably a bit more than I should...because you know, Christmas is just around the corner. :mental:

• Like 1

Shots taken late or early in daylight hours are mostly likely to have a colour cast. So much depends on software used during image processing. Airliners.net have some of the highest standards for photo screening before being accepted for their data base. Some times a colour cast can be detected in parts of the image that should be a purer white.

I think the colour of the sky gives a hint to the extra blue hue. Maybe someone forgot to turn on Auto White Balance?

Regards the gold tint on the canopy, I found this video a bit back that might be worth a watch/skip through. -

Theres a Part 2 as well, yes, it goes on a bit. Just a thought. I dont think it went down too well when I posted them in this thread though - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234942982-tamiya-148-f-16cj-weasel-over-kosovo/page-2#entry2170952

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 2

I can assure you that I am beavering away in the background here, working on the cockpit, gear legs and so on, but as I'm half-way through most of those, it's fairly quiet in terms of pictures. I've just built up the tail sections that fit to the rear sides of the fuselage and include a little of the skin, plus a ventral strake. The strake has a shallow ejector pin mark, and the white dot you can see is a punched disk of styrene sheet that will be sanded flush later. The fit is yet again exemplary.

tail1.jpg

The weapons have all been prepared, and I decided I'd go with the boxtop load of four R-33s under the belly, and two R-73 Archers on the inner wing pylons. While a single part that is slide-moulded to obtain detail on all sides is a huge bonus, the downside is that you have four fine seams per missile to deal with. A combination of scraping and sanding got the job done, but it's time consuming. The effort is worth it though when you see what the end result is :) The Archers had two tiny ejector-pin marks each, so they had some lengths of rod inserted and the cut flush.

weapons1.jpg

The landing gear are waiting their grey final coat after spot painting with polished aluminium of the various rams that are dotted about. I'll post a picture of those when they're done.

• Like 6

I gave the wings some feathers too, with everything droopy just for some added visual interest after everyone gets over their initial "that's bigger than I thought" moment :)

wings3.jpg

• Like 6

This price (18 pounds) for a set is very expensive! In Moscow the price is almost 4 times cheaper....)

Edited by IGKent

Just got confirmation that one of my suppliers has a few of these on order already. Now to wait for them to show up in stock.

I really don't NEED another kit right now, but... :banghead:

• Like 1

A bit of actual progress in the painting department. I've been working on the landing gear, as there's a lot of small parts painted the same grey that are put in during the early stages, to be joined by the big bits later. I thought I might as well do it all in one go, so have been scraping, sanding and filling the odd ejector pin mark with that in mind. Some silver for the struts, and AKAN 73059 for the legs, then some Ultimate Dark Dirt wash, which has only had its first removal phase done. I'll tidy up with fresh eyes tomorrow.

I also got the wheels and hubs done. The tyres suffered from the lip on the inner rim being ever so slightly proud, so there was a bit of a groove on the outer seam, so I ran a bead of CA round the circumference and then sanded it back when cured. You'd never know it had been there, but if I had some after market wheels, I'd probably use them instead. While these look good now, I think the tyres could have more detail :)

maingear2.jpg

If that's the biggest "problem" with the build - my preferring the easy route for the wheels, then we're not doing too badly ;) The main gear will be de-washed tomorrow, and it will all be cleaned up and sealed in with some varnish.

• Like 6