Which Epoxy glue?

MetroRacing

First off apologies if this is covered somewhere but my phone doesn't allow me to use the search function.

I'm looking to build one of my resin kits next year. It will be my first lol.

I know that my regular Revell model glue isn't going to work and that superglue doesn't really work for permanently bonding resin. So epoxy it is. But what the best value for money option?

Ideally I've been looking at the syringe types. Specifically the Araldite brand. But there are 2 lol. The red and blue one's. What's the difference and is there a better option out there?

Cheer all,

Ashley

Edited by MetroRacing

Hmm. The poundland stuff is tempting. I might get some and test it on a small transkit I have first.

The devcon stuff looks pretty similar to the Araldite stuff I was looking at. I did look at the gorilla one but a few reviews mentioned it not fully curing even after 24hrs.

Ashley

Edited by MetroRacing

To answer one of the original questions; red & blue Araldite, one is rapid setting the other is slow setting. Rapid is about 1 hour to full set, the slow needs 24 hours. I can never remember which is which, I always need to read the tube to find out.

I find the slow setting gives a far stronger joint than any rapid setting epoxy.

Thanks for the information about which brand of glue to use for resin kits as I was pondering this today for my first resin aircraft kit.

Thanks Ashley for asking the question.

Robert

• Like 1

First off apologies if this is covered somewhere but my phone doesn't allow me to use the search function.

I'm looking to build one of my resin kits next year. It will be my first lol.

I know that my regular Revell model glue isn't going to work and that superglue doesn't really work for permanently bonding resin. So epoxy it is. But what the best value for money option?

Ideally I've been looking at the syringe types. Specifically the Araldite brand. But there are 2 lol. The red and blue one's. What's the difference and is there a better option out there?

Cheer all,

Ashley

Using epoxy is all very well and good, but why do you think that superglue doesn't work? If the resin is cleaned and residue free it bonds very well. In fact, I've never used anything else on resin and I've got some ten+ year old full resin models that show no sign of falling apart.

Jeffrey

• Like 1

I've used superglue on some small resin peices and after a while the joins break when I've been handling them. Seeing as epoxy is resin it's a more permanent bond.

I buy a lot of resin kits and transkits from modelling masters. They build the kits and test build the first resin casts over on automotiveforums. They use superglue during the test builds as it's easy to pull the parts apart. Then epoxy when doing a final construction.

With the experience I've had with resin and superglue I'll be following suit with their mentality.

Ashley

i try to use epoxy to glue in all the resin cockpit, wheelwells etc i use. i tack them first with ca then slap on as much epoxy as i can around the part, often gluing scrap resin bits etc around it to keep the thing in place. even the thick ca i have will run and settle, where you can build up epoxy much better. only thing is epoxy is messy and i get it everywhere :clown: so for external or on-show bits its ca.

• Like 1

I think that's probably the way I'll be building the kits I have. A resin engine is easy to use epoxy on. But superglue might be better for the ancillaries and manifolds.

Again for attaching the front airdam and rear spoiler to my vfts lada riva rally car. Epoxy would be a better decision so that during filling and sanding, the joins don't break down.

Ashley