Trumpeter 1/35 British Heli - Its a Chinook

simmerit

Bro, your build was the first thread I saw here on BM, and I've been following for quite a bit.  

It is unreal.

Your struggles have done anything but turn me off, rather they've inspired me.  When I've got a couple hundred to drop on plastic and photoetch and all the other goodies I need I'm going for a deep dive build just like this.  

For now I'll just stick to the 1/72 kits to practice techniques on and give to the boy as toys.  

Keep it up man, this build is amazing.  I'm almost sad that it's going to end someday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crushkill said:

Bro, your build was the first thread I saw here on BM, and I've been following for quite a bit.  

It is unreal.

Your struggles have done anything but turn me off, rather they've inspired me.  When I've got a couple hundred to drop on plastic and photoetch and all the other goodies I need I'm going for a deep dive build just like this.  

For now I'll just stick to the 1/72 kits to practice techniques on and give to the boy as toys.  

Keep it up man, this build is amazing.  I'm almost sad that it's going to end someday.

Thanks fella - that's very kind of you, although if I'd not taken a lifetime over this and made a proper dogs breakfast out of it, it would have been posted in 10 pages!!

The Chinook is a fine helicopter, and the model is a crap kit!!!!!

I'll be finished by Christmas......  Stick with it!

• Like 5

Thanks for the heads-up on the paint Si. I'd nearly succumbed to ordering their FAA set to try out but on this showing, I think I'll just keep mixing my own.

This build is one hell of an emotional roller and a continual pleasure to return to. If it doesn't get you in the honours list next year there's something rotten in the system.;)

Tony

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Thanks for the heads-up on the paint Si. I'd nearly succumbed to ordering their FAA set to try out but on this showing, I think I'll just keep mixing my own.

This build is one hell of an emotional roller and a continual pleasure to return to. If it doesn't get you in the honours list next year there's something rotten in the system.;)

Tony

Thanks Tony, but you are only seeing it warts and all cause I post every bit of the build.  Next time I'll post the kit on the spruces and jump straight to the finished article!!!

Whatever you do, DONT BUY THAT PAINT!!!!!  At the point I'd dropped it in the Detol, it still hadnt gone off/cured.  It really is piddle poor.  I can not believe people are saying they are spraying OK with it. 

• Like 3

On 2/21/2017 at 1:44 PM, limeypilot said:

Tony, don't mention the paint! I did once, but I think I got away with it!

Ian

The paint......................... dont use the paint...................................

Detol shifts anything.  On balance, I should have used brake fluid.  I kid you not

IMG_5080_zpsyhjjpybz.jpg

This is is after sitting in Detol and being scrubbed with a brush twice, wiped with wet wipes (also shift everything), dropped back in Detol. scrubbed with washing up detergent and warm water and put back in Detol.

Its coated with what I can only describe as a thin layer of chewing gum.  You may recall mesaying the stuff hadn't cured after it had been painted?  It doesnt cure.

Next step for me it to wipe it down with cellulose thinners.

Just in case you missed it, dont use that paint.

• Like 3

You'll probably notice I used one of my likes...

But I don't lie to mates

It's pants

I blame that blarry paint

But we (all of us) are worried, go back to brake fluid and keep away from the celly thinners

No good, I say no good can come of it if there's plastic in it

Oh by the way, what a soddit to be suffering

:(

Edited by perdu

I brushed the cellulose on the etch and kept it away from the plastic.  I'm sorry to bang on about it, but if you have that paint, I really would put it in the bin and not be tempted to say 'I'll just hang onto it in the paint stash'

3 hours ago, Kirk said:

Wait up - isn't this the same paint you were so fond of a few posts back? Or am I getting confused with mixed messages?:rofl:

Hmm, I'm not sure what is going on here

I don't think Si really likes the paint but its difficult to get my head round why

Probably not one of his best, favourite colours

Who knows when old Mister Keepittoyerself is involved?   :(

OK so there seems to be some problems, but I haven't seen anything said about the paint that you used............how is that going?

Ok I'll get my  :handbag::coat:

Just rest assured Si we do all feel for you, but we do enjoy a touch of ribbing as well :winkgrin:

Bob

hahahaha (as my kids would say), but its come very close to wrecking the sand filters - I've just primed them and there is a lot of residue still left on them.  I also had to redo the plastic collars as they were shot with sticky residue I couldnt get off, and the residue I missed only showed up when primed.  Its always the way isn't it........................... primer shows up a multitude of sins.

Anyway

IMG_5084_zpsjsxwcjlc.jpg

IMG_5085_zpsfwrpff9w.jpg

lovely box.  doo-doo paint.  I am putting it in the bin now.  

• Like 1

just an FYI - I've always had really good luck using the aerosol oven cleaner stuff.  A good fluffy coat left for a few hours - wipe away then apply more if needed. one other upside is that if left for long enough, the oven cleaner foam dries out into a fine powdery substance which can be brushed off with a good stiff toothbrush.  That may be the key to getting rid of your gummy residue.

1 hour ago, hendie said:

just an FYI - I've always had really good luck using the aerosol oven cleaner stuff.  A good fluffy coat left for a few hours - wipe away then apply more if needed. one other upside is that if left for long enough, the oven cleaner foam dries out into a fine powdery substance which can be brushed off with a good stiff toothbrush.  That may be the key to getting rid of your gummy residue.

I may give that a god if I have to strip anything again and the Detol doesnt shift it.  I managed to clean off the etch with cellulose thinners.  I've never seen anything like it.

Right.  Nuff said on the paint front.

Anyone got a good recommendation for RAF olive drab? and no witty joke like 'have you tried Hataka?'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simmerit said:

No

Quite right

The bloody  stuff might think you were making a sacrifice in its honour

Ditch it, lose it  dump the blinkin lot

Could be a good idea to save the box as a opened out cardboard box scan though

just thinking

You ought to be able to get something out of a very miserable experience and the box does look quite decent

ish

Argie Cranberries, who wants 'em :(

(shortly along will wander one of our South American cousins who...)

Edited by perdu

Mesh on and that bit at the top I made out of Resin putty - it looks like its the cover on a some form of outlet pipe on the big one - maybe one of you lads that fly these things can shed some light on it.  

IMG_5125_zpscvrd6yhw.jpg

IMG_5124_zpsjvv6u1z4.jpg

Next is to assemble these countermeasures.  Not sure if I will use any of them yet, as I'm not sure how they will compare to some of the countermeasures I've seen on British Wokkas circa 2006.  I must say the kit is excellent now.  In the same breath, countermeasures have obviously had to keep pace with the development of threats.

Just about to put the plastic and glue away and sort out some soldering kit now for this Edwood etch.