Trumpeter 1/35 British Heli - Its a Chinook

simmerit

Every time I see a photo I have another 'oh no' moment as the colour is different!  Other thing I also went into panic about there was the position of that set of rods nearer the engine on that photi.  A 'phew' moment when I looked at the piccies I took them off - there are three different band configurations by the looks of things. Thank god or I would have been scrapping them and starting again...................

This piccie also illustrates nicely the problem I have had with the engine mounds on the model and their position relative to the sand filters, and the position of the whole lot on the airframe.  My view is the engine mounts on the model are too high, and set too far back, relative to the position of the tower the rotors sit on top of.  Basically, the model is a crock of......................

• Like 1

It looks "right" to me: as the engine exhausts are natural metal and would be subject to slightly different heating and cooling cycles you would probably find that no two units are exactly the same colour and finish.

Bar side: useful picture - a scratch builder's dream or nightmare though?

• Like 1

engine looks great to me.  Colors are pretty realistic and don't look much different from photo's of the real thing.

The only thing you might want to consider - and this all  depends upon how much handling it's going to get - is whether to apply a coat of clear aqua gloss over the top to seal in the alclads.  

I've always had trouble with them staying put.  Any handling seems to rub them off quite easily - chrome being the worst by far.  But if you don't have that trouble, then leave as is

5 minutes ago, hendie said:

engine looks great to me.  Colors are pretty realistic and don't look much different from photo's of the real thing.

The only thing you might want to consider - and this all  depends upon how much handling it's going to get - is whether to apply a coat of clear aqua gloss over the top to seal in the alclads.  

I've always had trouble with them staying put.  Any handling seems to rub them off quite easily - chrome being the worst by far.  But if you don't have that trouble, then leave as is

I've noticed.  Made the mistake of putting some masking take on...  I went for the chrome also and its made quite a positive difference.  I think I will be varnishing them.

I've just made a command decision and you may recall I extended the engine bays?  I've cut them back again.  On the bright side, I have a lot of tubing!  I've also come to the conclusion the mesh on the outside of the engine bay cowlings is crap as well, having sprayed them.  No rework fortunately, but I think it was the right thing to do.  The problem I was trying to solved is the engine bay is mounted about 3.5mm too far back.  That's how much I'd extended them.  Its just not quite working for me.  

I was also hoping to crack on with some of the exterior gubbins this afternoon as I've got permission from the household OC to crack on, but am now off to A&E as the mrs' lad has just got back from Rugby with either a broken shoulder or a dislocated shoulder.  For those of you not in the UK, we can expect to wait anywhere between 4-12 hours to be seen.  Huge pressure on medical care/A&Es.  Nothing to do with the population going up from 60m in the last 5 years to the estimated 85-90m it now is................................  Oops. Wrong forum. 

So that'd probably the end of the Wokka for the day.  That said, I could take it with me.  Probably some MERT crew at the hospital as a lot of civvie medics did the right thing in our various wars in the last two decades, so they would recognise the Wokka.  Bumhole (as they say)

• Like 1

well what a proper mare that was, but a very funny dit about two Policemen.

Anyway.  I did say there were a couple of things to finish on the filters!

IMG_4927_zpszvyrfxx5.jpg

These screw the mesh to the body of the filter.  I cant do the screws though!

• Like 1

Thanks lads.  Another correction to make on the kit

Engine%20bits%201_zpsmwm3dmvr.jpg

These come out at 90 degrees from the tower on the kit.  A little bit of sanding to do, but not too bad.  Been on with these last night

IMG_4970_zpsbohfbvhj.jpg

They protrude from an access panel

IMG_4972_zpsztgfknsi.jpg

Bit to do yet, like etch in the access panel!  Spot anything wrong?  Yup - these are from the kit and the r/h panel has been done with the grill upside down.  I'm toying with spraying the grill covers on the sand filters and the sand filters as I'm desperate to get any colour on this what so ever!

• Like 1

quick paint alert. I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use Hataka paint AS LONG AS I LIVE.

Iwata can cope with anything.  This paint is absolute sh*te.  I have never experienced anything like it in my life.  I've used their thinners and ever tried cramming the mix with stacks of flow enhancer. this paint IMHO is officially sh*te.  I've managed to knack my regulator for the airbrush trying to get it out.  Its blocked my airbrush completely.  thoroughly hacked off.  I've managed to get the sand filters done as I refused to be beaten by the stuff.  Its complete crap.  How I would describe the experience is like trying to spray milk of magnisia

milk%20of%20magnesia%20sr_zpslosxewrm.jp

I'm really peeved having bought the Falklands conflict paint set which has everything you could want paint wise.

Edited by simmerit

Not really sure though are you Si?

I detect a little hesitation in your half hearted condemnation

Or do I?

NAH

I know some people like the stuff but I've read more "This sh*te is paint...not!" comments about it" TBH

Still love how you've tamed this mighty beast Si, magnificent is a fair and honest assessment mate

Brill

b

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Not really sure though are you Si?

I detect a little hesitation in your half hearted condemnation

Or do I?

NAH

I know some people like the stuff but I've read more "This sh*te is paint...not!" comments about it" TBH

Still love how you've tamed this mighty beast Si, magnificent is a fair and honest assessment mate

Brill

b

It gives the appearance of thinning when you mix it with thinners, but it doesn't actually thin. It remains gloopy. If a paint doesn't thin with the manufacturers own bran of thinner then there is something very seriously wrong with the paint. That's what I found anyway

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Simon382 said:

Thanks for the clarification, wasn't TOTALLY sure in your meaning!?!

I'd best clarify just for the avoidance of doubt then. It's shi*te. A complete and utter waste of money. It's rubbish. Total crap. It's so unbelievably rubbish, it makes Jeremy Corbyn look good. It makes Tony Blair look honest. That's how crap it is. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy even for a laugh. It's crud

3 minutes ago, viper-30 said:

Can't believe you didn't do the screws ...

Erm look closely 

Edited by simmerit
  • Like 4

Right.  I'm not mentioning the paint again, other than its not gone off.  Its got to go.  Last mention.  Honest.

IMG_5025_zpswxbpnyjf.jpg

Time for some surgery

IMG_5026_zpsswzamthj.jpg

which gives you that, which will sit here

IMG_5023_zpsu0mx7nav.jpg

Still a bit to do on these.......................... so its probably a good job that sh*te paint is coming off.  You know - that paint.  The sh*te stuff

and

IMG_5024_zpshpq35roo.jpg

Hmm.  If I was going to put a winch on, I know what I'd be considering.  This Wokka is however pre Kajaki, so no winch. 

• Like 5

I almost bought this kit today when I was visiting my LHS and then I remembered what a "fun" time you were having with this, so I bought the  Academy AH-60L DAP instead :D

Still, I have to admit, I am having more enjoyable time than you watching this come together.... sorry

11 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

I almost bought this kit today when I was visiting my LHS and then I remembered what a "fun" time you were having with this, so I bought the  Academy AH-60L DAP instead :D

Still, I have to admit, I am having more enjoyable time than you watching this come together.... sorry

Hello mate.  Its a great kit though.  Honest!!

I hope I've not put people off tackling one.  I'm pretty OCD over it - I reckon if I'd just stuck it together and not done a lot of scratch work on the interior, it could have been knocked out of 3-4 months with a bit of focus.  The big time consuming pieces have been sorting the engine mounts out and making the sand filters.  I still cant believe noone else (in the half dozen or so builds there are out there on the hinterweb) apart from me and Ian has hit the problems with the airframe being so out of shape/badly molded on the model.  Either we were unlucky or the other builders have not mentioned what a crock it is on their builds.

What ever you do, don't buy that paint!!!!

• Like 2