Trumpeter 1/35 British Heli - Its a Chinook

simmerit

On 07/01/2017 at 4:04 PM, hendie said:

so I'm not the only one who spends a fortune on *things* to make *things* with, then ends up making the *things* from other *things* I find just lying about then ?

So what's next Hendie?? We are all waiting!!!

44 minutes ago, simmerit said:

So what's next Hendie?? We are all waiting!!!

Well, it's not got wings, it's not got rotor blades, and it doesn't get off the ground (at least we hope not!), but it has a bar and a toilet...  it's this build over here

It's a project I have been wanting to do for many years now, and finally got around to building it, though it seems to have taken me almost two years so far, and I reckon at least another year or so to go.... so I reckon there's another hoptichopter coming soon to help break up the monotonous bits

• Like 1

yet another two tubes turned up today.  That's about 7,000 in the last 4 days.....

IMG_4503_zpshiv5i7yz.jpg

but the final ring is done.  Now just waiting for a 23mm brass tube to turn up from Poland so I can extend that bloody cowling and bucket for the engine.  I've worked out how to do it without hacking the thing to bits.  Needless to say the solution was so obvious I didn't see it!

• Like 5

Thank you very much lads.  I'm sorry i've made such a dogs breakfast of them, but I got there in the end!  Onto the exhaust outlets next.  I've also worked out how to do that cowling and basket without major surgery, which is a result.  I just need my 23mm brass tube to turn up from Poland now........

I'm fresh out of superlatives for modelling of that standard Si. If you go any further they'll have to start retro-fitting more detail to real Chinooks to keep up with you!

:clap2:

Tony

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I'm fresh out of superlatives for modelling of that standard Si. If you go any further they'll have to start retro-fitting more detail to real Chinooks to keep up with you!

:clap2:

Tony

Thank you for the compliment Tony.  Its appreciated - I've come a long way on the back of this monster.

IMG_4516_zpszr5ajcte.jpg

First coat of Mr Surface on the inside of the exhaust outlets.  Need to geta  bit of filler in there by the looks of things

Edited by simmerit
  • Like 2

Not much progress at the weekend

IMG_4520_zpso5zvrpmv.jpg

mainly due to family commitments, but at least these are under way finally.  They bear very little resemblance to the T55 engine that sits in the Chinook

t55engine_zpsi7em26tr.jpg

but you wont see much of them at all.  I will probably wire them up, that said.

size0-army.mil-2007-04-26-093316_zpskj7b

The variations of colour on the exhaust outlet can only be described as stunning.  You name it, its there.  Should be quite entertaining doing these!!  The only good news is the inside looks to be pretty much burnt metal, so nothing too challenging hopefully.

original_zpso45duxvx.jpg

I've not used Alclad paint before so I am sort of looking forward to having a crack.  I've picked up Gold Titanium, Chrome, Polished Brass and Paul Burnt Metal for the exhaust outlets.  The rest looks like a combination of various steel and iron, with a bit of burnt metal for good measure.  I'm assuming the surface this stuff gets sprayed on needs to be as smooth as a baby's bottom.  Not the first thought that came to mind when I was thinking about a comparison:D

• Like 2

Hmm take that baby's bottom then smooth it and polish it and smooth it and.....

Your work is getting better than proper good and up in to the realms of blimmin' wonderful So

I'm sure you'll love doing the hottened metal effects, I have great fun with it

31 minutes ago, perdu said:

Hmm take that baby's bottom then smooth it and polish it and smooth it and.....

Your work is getting better than proper good and up in to the realms of blimmin' wonderful So

I'm sure you'll love doing the hottened metal effects, I have great fun with it

Here is the challenge!

Picture1_zps2ec7bdkt.png

1 hour ago, viper-30 said:

Nothing like a challenge to keep you on your toes 

I've just had to invest in Serpia, Steel and Gloss Black Base, so this is getting very expensive.  It looks like I'm becoming a committed flyee thing builder with all these materials to use up....

Managed to grab a quick hour tonight and

IMG_4538_zps19i5xdec.jpg

That's an Alu tube, and

IMG_4537_zpsoi3fsts1.jpg

If I secure it in position, all I need to do is extend the bucket and cowling by 5mm and job's a good un.  Just need to have a think about how to do that.  One option is my 23mm brass tube which is due any day.  That will wrap around the Alu inner tube.  It may need a bit of effort to have a nice smooth surface

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nigel Heath said:

I think you should add Alclad clear blue and orange to the heat affected metal area.

Hotmetal Sepia and Steel just turned up today, as well as some gloss black base.  The bits that may need the other colours look like they are under the cowwling when its folded down.  its a fiver a bottle as well!!!!!!

• Like 2

You know when an answer is starting you in the face and you just cant see it......

IMG_4585_zpsfwpy7ie1.jpg

I thought I was going to have to hack this to bits.  A bit of extending was all that was required

IMG_4586_zpsmhtlw12s.jpg

IMG_4587_zpsjeefbmit.jpg

IMG_4589_zps6pw7v5p2.jpg

One down (as they say), and this is how it will sit

IMG_4593_zpsvzsbjsjw.jpg

just got one more bit or plastic to wrap round that top half and jobs a good un

• Like 1