Trumpeter 1/35 British Heli - Its a Chinook

simmerit

13 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Can you use a circle cutter/compass to cut them out of sheet plastic? When I made the stone guards for my Airfix Bentley I cut the edging pieces out of solid sheet and stuck them on as 1 piece with CA.....

Ian

yep thats an option - I did have a go at that initially an may well return to it.  I suppose I'm exploring all options and positing the 'we;; that didn't work' as well as the end result - hopefully people will find that

1. Amusing

2. Useful!

• Like 1

If that doesn't work there is one final option...I have access to Rhino, although I'm certainly no expert at it, so if you want to send me the dimensions I can try to draw something up and post it in my Shapeways shop so you can print it . I know they're not exactly flavour of the month, but they only print what others design. Let me know if you want to go that route...if you do, include details for the backing mesh with all the little holes and I'll see if I can do that too.

Ian

53 minutes ago, simmerit said:

1. Amusing

2. Useful!

Yes indeed! :D Still following along even though I am quite silent as I don't have much to offer except encouragement. Really fascinating seeing how you build this up, it does look very nice, even though not up to your standards. You cant beat micro engineering!

Keep up the great work

Bob

10 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

If that doesn't work there is one final option...I have access to Rhino, although I'm certainly no expert at it, so if you want to send me the dimensions I can try to draw something up and post it in my Shapeways shop so you can print it . I know they're not exactly flavour of the month, but they only print what others design. Let me know if you want to go that route...if you do, include details for the backing mesh with all the little holes and I'll see if I can do that too.

Ian

I may give that a shot thank you.

I've nothing against shapeways by the way.  Its provides a service.  The thing I'm peeved about is 50 sheets down the bog as the piece of kit is pants.  A couple of people have bought filters and said they were great, so I bought them also.  The problem is I know a bloody lot about these filters now in terms of appearance and detail,so I knew they were complete pants the moment I opened up the box and too them out.

if I do crack these, i may do resin casts.  We will see.  That last mesh sheet is a royal pain in the bum but I'm that bloody pedantic on this thing now having out so much time in, I will geta good scale representation if it kills me!!

1 minute ago, moaning dolphin said:

Yes indeed! :D Still following along even though I am quite silent as I don't have much to offer except encouragement. Really fascinating seeing how you build this up, it does look very nice, even though not up to your standards. You cant beat micro engineering!

Keep up the great work

Bob

Forums are a bit like facebook - noone ever published the ugly pictures!  I've shown work in progress.  Sadly I dont always get it right frst time!

Cheers Bob by the way - glad its keeping you intertested

Si

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Top marks for sticking with it Si , it looks really good fella :thumbsup2:

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Perseverance wins through. Nice job on that section.

Tony

Thanks lads.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the 85 copper, brass, plastic and aluminium tubes that are turning up next week though........

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, simmerit said:

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the 85 copper, brass, plastic and aluminium tubes that are turning up next week though........

I'm sure you'll think of something - you usually do!:lol:

3 hours ago, simmerit said:

Thanks lads.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the 85 copper, brass, plastic and aluminium tubes that are turning up next week though........

How about a set of Nebelwerfers in various scales? ;)

Cracking job on the sand filters, they really do look the part. It's a bit strange but I'm that used to seeing pictures of Chinooks with them fitted they now look wrong without them.

Keep up the persistence.

Al

Edited by Engineer66
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, simmerit said:

I've spent a small fortune on them...

so I'm not the only one who spends a fortune on *things* to make *things* with, then ends up making the *things* from other *things* I find just lying about then ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hendie said:

so I'm not the only one who spends a fortune on *things* to make *things* with, then ends up making the *things* from other *things* I find just lying about then ?

That's the one.....  I have so much spare tubing I'm beside myself with excitement

• Like 2

Manged to get ten minutes in after she made me do some stuff on the house....

IMG_4459_zpsxz7cabdn.jpg

Brass drop in.  The exhaust outlet sits an an angle on the big one.  The kit has it feeding straight out, so a minor correction required

• Like 4

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

See? All that tube has already come in useful! It looks much better for it too.

Ian

It most certainly was

IMG_4462_zpsm8upnwft.jpg

I wasn't happy with that plastic, so I have taken a sliver from a brass tube.  I've got another tube turning up next week to put the last place in before I put the mesg fronts on, then its FINALLY done

• Like 6

I've run out of superlatives for this stage Si. There's more detail and precision there than on some entire builds. The brass additions definitely make it pop.

Tony

35 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I've run out of superlatives for this stage Si. There's more detail and precision there than on some entire builds. The brass additions definitely make it pop.

Tony

Thank you for the compliment Tony - its much appreciated.  I've deffo been a tad OCD on these!!  The brass works as well, although it was a proper pain cutting them off the tube.

Here is the latest dilemma 

IMG_4468_zpseizrdyqp.jpg

Cowling is too short.  I've had a good look at some piccies just to see where the issue is and as you can see, there are 4 problems.  2mm too short on the left, and I need to make 3 cuts and extend it by 1mm at each cut. What a total pain.  This bit is easy to do thank god, but not too sure what to do about the engine bucket as that has already been hacked around by me and re-stuck.  Its got to come off sadly, but I reckon that's next weekend now.  I really am cheesed off.  I thought this bit would fly together