Anybody want to buy an airforce

VMA131Marine

The B-57s are there for NASA fleet support, one them returned to service after over 40 years of storage. All of the Tomcats still there belong to the Museum of the US Navy I believe and they are being stored pending allocation to museums. All of the F-4 Phantoms will be kept until ever friendly nation who still has them decides to retire their fleets (spare parts sources basically).

I had a great time at AMARG back in 2012, did an overflight and two bus tours, loads of pics here: http://www.hanger51.org/airfield-visits-1/amarg-davis-monthan/

• Like 1

Hi ,my brother and me had a tour in August 2009 ,when we came to the F -111s the tour guy said they were the type that bombed Gaddafi ,he said haven't heard much of him since,i felt like saying he blew up a Airliner over Scotland in 1988 ,but i didn't

Can you imagine the trade counter?

"'Morning, squire. I need a dozen Hueys, eight F-16s and six Phantoms. Oh, and if there's any decent KC-135s chuck in a couple of those as well. Yeah, it's a rush job. No, no C-130s this time, but a Spartan could be useful, thinking about it. We'll have one of those as well. Deliver to this address by Monday? Cheers mate."

Had forgotten the NASA WB-57s, guess all those B-57s in the picture will keep providind spares for a while.

The fact that there are still B-57s flying is another proof of how good the basic Canberra design was. I may have said this before but I gladly say it again, the Canberra has IMHO been the best aircraft to have come out of postwar Britain

• Like 1

Had forgotten the NASA WB-57s, guess all those B-57s in the picture will keep providind spares for a while.

The fact that there are still B-57s flying is another proof of how good the basic Canberra design was. I may have said this before but I gladly say it again, the Canberra has IMHO been the best aircraft to have come out of postwar Britain

A long with the Hunter !

I wonder how much longer those WB-57's will be flying ? didn't a couple come through Milldenhall on there return to the States not so long ago ?

Guy

Edited by F4u

A long with the Hunter !

I wonder how much longer those WB-57's will be flying ? didn't a couple come through Milldenhall on there return to the States not so long ago ?

Guy

Probably quite a while yet. WB-57s bring a lot of payload to 80,000ft. The only thing that comes close is RQ-4 Global Hawk, and I doubt it has the carrying capacity (though it has greater persistence)

It makes you wonder at what point do a bunch of out-dated, time ravaged airframes from the 60s & 70s on which most if not all of the flight & maintenance skillset has retired or died becomes a bit of a white elephant that is just taking up space (of which AZ has lots). It also makes you realise where all the money goes. :hmmm:

This is the only part of the USAF that makes any money. I saw quoted that every dollar spent here gets a return of $25 and that was back in the 80's. The F-4s are kept as some nations still fly them and they are a parts source. As has been pointed out a B-52 is currently being returned to service to replace a fire damaged one. South Korea is to get some returned to service S-3s to counter the North Korean sub threat.

Also less well known is the return to service of ex military assists to civilian use. Mainly it must be said helicopters such as Cobra Gunships being used by the Forrestry Serivce for fire spotting. P-3s have gone to the Coast Gupaurd and Other depts. The Canberras support the ones still flying.

Also they purchased just about every retired 707 airframe to keep the KC-135s flying.

They also store some aircraft out there for the USAF museum.

Lastly don't forget that's where we got our F-4J(UK)s from.

Is everything at AMARG 'for sale'??

Well it's not like you could walk up with a shopping cart (or fly in on your An-225 if you are buying in bulk) and walk around with your chequebook picking stuff out. But, if you're a friendly allied country I'd guess a lot of things could be for sale. But, there are also aircraft that I'm sure are off-limits to just about every one: I can't see the US selling any B-52s or B-1B's because they still need the spare parts, though maybe they would if the UK wanted to get back into the strategic bomber business. Obviously, they won't sell any F-14's or F-14 parts to keep them out of Iran's hands. The won't sell any U-2's and I think all the SR-71's are in museums so those are out. Most of the surviving F-117A's still exist in storage, but I think these are at Nellis AFB and definitely would not be for sale. What did you want???? :pirate:

Edited by VMA131Marine

A nice (and apparently current) list of the inventory is here:

http://www.amarcexperience.com/ui/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=205&Itemid=274

Jim

There are some astounding numbers on that list:

107 B-52's

171 KC-135's of different flavours

47 Harrier GR.9's if the RAF wants them back

125 TA-4J's

137 A-10's

497 F-16's (mostly A's and C's)

96 A-6E's (I'm not sure why these are being kept around)

52 Lockheed C-5A's

168 F-15's

248 F-4 Phantoms

I note that the Convair XC-99 is there as well. It was originally moved to Wright-Patterson to go on display at the USAF Museum. But there was no money to restore it and nowhere to keep it where it wouldn't be exposed to the elements and deteriorate further, so it was shipped to AMARG until resources are available to put it back together again.

The F-4s are being kept for spares, as are the KC-135s. Suspect there is some of that with the F-16s, though you will be seeing QF-16s soon. Suspect the A-10s are there for spares as well. Though if thet have a spare we can find a home for it at The Bentwaters Cold War Museum (if anyone from the USAF is reading this!).

Not sure why they are keeping the A-6s though.

Aren't the Marines still using the Prowler? I know it's on borrowed time.

You're right, I had forgotten about the USMC ones. They will not be retired until 2019, still a few years from now and I guess that any suitable Intruder spare part will be useful