Young Miniatures "Hell on Wheels"

Bigmick

Hi all....

Well this one was definitely a quick paint, I managed a couple of pictures of the face then painted the whole torso while at the model club sunday.

IMG_1025_zpsgxkbafkt.jpg

As you can see although he's titled "Hell on Wheels" it is a likeness of Brad Pitts character, Don "Wardaddy" Collier from the WW2 film "Fury".

I'd started painting the face a few weeks ago but had a mojo dip and chose to do the Barbossa figure instead as that looked easier?, I'd almost forgotten I'd started him.

The base flesh colour I'd used was way too pink, so used the base mix Ben Komets uses, these are all Vallejo colours, beige red with a touch of black and some white, the shadows were the base mix but adding some armour brown(used to be tank brown) and flat red in very thin washes.

IMAG4212_zpsv5tr66ps.jpg

IMAG4214_zpslcaikbrw.jpg

IMAG4216_zpsjwrst4ts.jpg

I tried the loaded brush technique again, some of it worked, a lot didn't, so went back to what I know, layer of colour.

The hair was a base of chocolate brown, then black wash, then highlighting individual strands with chocolate brown again, then white and brown, towards the white side basically in a line across the high point where his hair is slicked back to give the impression of a highlight.

IMAG4221_zps1skralhr.jpg

IMAG4222_zpseykxfn9v.jpg

And here he is done.

I used the Vallejo WW2 Allies paint set for this, T shirt was English uniform brown, shirt is US uniform green, jacket is khaki, I googled lots of pictures of the jacket as they seem to vary between olive green and tan, so working from a photo I couldn't really go wrong.

The hardest bit was probably painting the 2nd Armoured badge and the pin up girl on the pistol grip, a "sweetheart grip" usually made from perspex or aircraft canopy transparency crash moulded onto the grip then a picture inserted underneath, finished paint was covered in 3 good coats of Tamiya X22 Clear.

IMG_1374_zpsi3w5nxk6.jpg

IMG_1371_zpspywln2kc.jpg

IMG_1373_zpsmznjogr1.jpg

IMG_1381_zpsuutyjkvq.jpg

Hope you like.

Regards.

Mick.

• Like 11

I agree with BillyD, one of your best yet! :clap: :clap: :worthy:

You should consider using a different background for this subject: looks like it kills most of the excellent highlight and shadow job you did on his face - progress pics show that much better

Anyway, I'm glad your mojo is back, because you obviously have a great talent for this kind of painting and it's a pleasure looking at your jobs :thumbsup:

Ciao

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...