Future Navy

4scourge7

That seems to be what the Aircraft Carrier Alliance seem to be saying on their web site.

Martin

Hardly seems that long since the QE resembled a large red box; now POW is taking shape.

The last section of PoW is transiting through the Channel and heading north to Rosyth this week (having taken the long way around from the Clyde due to the weather).

She is the 8th British "Aircraft Carrier" that I have served in or worked on (QE, PoW, HERMES, BULWARK, INVINC, ILLUST, ARK & OCEAN).

The QE Class - Made in Scotland - from Girders!!!!

FredT :)

• Like 2

At least you guys have an great frigate in the type 23 and a awesome design coming down the pipe in the type 26....we have the hybrid, and lousy LCS... which is undergunned undermanned and won't be able to take battle damage.

Edited by Mike Esposito

• 7 months later...

Don't worry everybody.

The government will do what they have done with so much of the national defense.

They will just outsource it.

Keeping this to a skill's post and not a political post, I'd have to say the seagoing Royal Navy is the least 'worked up' (a term my fellow RN types will be familiar with) of the three armed forces, four if you bring the Royal Marines in the mix.

Due to the last two 'conflicts' the Britsh Armed Forces have been in, the focus has been on bringing the Army, RAF, Royal Marines and selected squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm to a battle effective fighting force, unfortunately something has to give.

The eye of Whitehall has left its stare across the east and has focuses on the Sandpit, Trident and a relentless downsizing of Her Majesty's Armed Force. Events in the world have presented differing requirements in the guise of the need for UK maritime patrol and the need to have a physical patrol subsurface fleet and airborne capability.

Whitehall now needs to plan, short term improvise and long term react to these threats, NATO will not help us out in policing our own shores or skies, why should it (and that's not a Brexit jibe)

An effective, proven and cost efficient answer must be found to ping for subs, react to airborne probes and demonstrate to our allies and possible aggressors that the UK is still an island nation determined to protect its interests home and abroad.

Thanks for your time reading this, it's only my thoughts, the thoughts of an ex-RN rating.

• Like 4