Jaguar XJR-9...sort of. Not MFH!

Another WIP.

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3180.jpg

I need a fun project I can easily move around - circumstances here in NYC mean I have to keep ferrying models around to work on them either at home or the office - this one will be easy to do that with...

Really like those cartoon style cars - in fact I draw my own..

232252c8-4588-4e23-9d33-b2a284621bb7.jpg

b327b2a2-44fc-4644-890e-43160a324aac.jpg

...and sometimes play with Photoshop...

Mini%20599%20Comparison.jpg

...playing with proportion.

So I like this little kits that came out of Japan in the 80's and 90's.

Here is a little Williams F1 car in the same style...

IMG_1106.jpg

So the plan with this Jag is to make it, but add loads of detail - split the panels, show the engine etc.

That's the plan - lets see how it goes :)

IMG_3179.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

Then once done, I might play around with 'inserting' the model into 'real' period photos with some photoshop trickery....

They also do egg planes - but that is for a different forum!

• Like 3

Cool! I have the same kit in my stash along with one with the Castrol markings.

If you like them, check out Neko models on the HLJ website. They make solid resin cartoon cars including the Seven with your choice of fenders.

Carl

Finally - a use for those PE saw blades!

image_7.jpeg

Very nice fine cut...

image_6.jpeg

image_5.jpeg

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

...next stage is to start filling in bulkheads with plastic card, before creating engine.

Was going to do interior with door open, but I think removing the door would be too delicate...I'll do a basic interior that you may see through the windows...

• Like 2

Barkin mad...like it!

I was at Coys Historics at Silverstone about 20 odd years ago. One of the Silk Cut Jags went for 20 grand (without engine). I was beside myself! :(

I like your cartoons; are you using Illustrator for the Caterham and P4, or old school methods? Used to be a scientific and technical illustrator! :)

Edited by vontrips

Cheers mate - those (older) cartoons are hand drawn, then a bit of post in photoshop - some of the 'airbrush' on screens etc - also on some I have used distorted images of the real wheels (lots of spokes) in photoshop then blended...(P4)

Ferrari is all photoshop :)

Everything I like has gone stupid on prices in the last 5 years - try and get an old aircooled 911 for peanuts like you could 10 years ago!

20k for a Jaaaaaaaaag like that is crazy though - add a few noughts now!

Cheers mate - those (older) cartoons are hand drawn, then a bit of post in photoshop - some of the 'airbrush' on screens etc - also on some I have used distorted images of the real wheels (lots of spokes) in photoshop then blended...(P4)

Ferrari is all photoshop :)

Everything I like has gone stupid on prices in the last 5 years - try and get an old aircooled 911 for peanuts like you could 10 years ago!

20k for a Jaaaaaaaaag like that is crazy though - add a few noughts now!

Nice work with Photoshop!

Never managed to get a hand illustrated feel when I use it! Guess I'm spoilt as I did my time with Quantel Paintbox, beautiful machine with amazing airbrush developed with the help of Airfix's box artist...only PAL res though (tv).

Know what you mean about 911 prices as I've been after one for too long! Wrote my Elise S1 off a few years ago and been looking for another...they're going up too. Still got my Porsche RSK replica, so mustn't grumble! :)

Edited by vontrips
  • Like 1

Really like those cartoon style cars - in fact I draw my own..

232252c8-4588-4e23-9d33-b2a284621bb7.jpg

b327b2a2-44fc-4644-890e-43160a324aac.jpg

You'd like a friend of mine. He has a Caterham (Used to have a really fast one) and is building a P330 replica with a 348 engine.

One of my drawings of his first 7...

Seven.jpg

Edited by injidup
  • Like 1

So, figuring out some CAD o soilidworks, and cranking up the old 3D printer at work, which has not been used for about 3 years!

Decided to try a basic engine block onto which I can add detail...

image_11.jpeg

image_8.jpeg

Here is a source pic so you can see roughly what I am aiming for!

700x440_crop.jpg

image_12.jpeg

Test fit to see what size tube I can fit into short space! 1 bank only...

FullSizeRender4.jpg

Main issue is clearance when the rear bodywork is in place...

Edited by caterhamnut
  • Like 5

I was looking at one of these on ebay last night and almost bought it but one thing stopped me, the decals. So ive got a question, are the decals proper water slide decals or are the just normal stickers?

Shaun

I was looking at one of these on ebay last night and almost bought it but one thing stopped me, the decals. So ive got a question, are the decals proper water slide decals or are the just normal stickers?

Shaun

In this kit they are 'real' decals Shaun, but I think you may be correct in thinking that they are stickers in others - I'll have a check with the other versions I have.

I got duped (not really, but disappointed) with the F1 car equivalent - that Williams I posted a picture of is fantastic - I sought out the McLaren and Ferrari models - the older ones are like the Williams - but later versions of these 'Q' models have chrome 'gangster-style' oversized wheels - horrible!! I'm going to have to cast the earlier versions or something to do the same with those...

Thanks guys - just a bit of fun :)

but I think it will really look cool when I add wiring and pipes!

I'm going to do the interior as well on the next one - maybe even make the front bodywork come off as well - either the Porsche 962or the Mazda...

Then I have all the egg planes to look at!!