Humbrol 56 enamel

beetcleaner

Having difficulty spraying Humbrol MET 56 enamel through my Badger 150. Thinned 50.50 with white spirit as usual but either sprays ok for a few short bursts then stops or airbrush needle has to be opened up so far it comes out in a huge splodge.

Not the airbrush as it is well maintained and after trying to spray the H56 I emptied it out, cleaned it, and sprayed Humbrol 78 no problem with the same paint/thinner ratio.

Paint was very well stirred and PSI was between 15-20. Should I be using another thinner with metallic paint ie enamel thinner instead of white spirit? I know how to use an airbrush and have never had this problem before.

Trying to spray the cockpit framing of the new tool Airfix 1/48 Hurricane so need thin coats of the H56 so as not to clog up the detail. thankyou for any advice

If I remember correctly, you can paint this color with a brush and then rub the surface for a metallic shine. Tricky to use imo even when using a brush, because it seem to dry very quickly.

Would be interesting to see if anyone manages to airbrush that stuff.

I am no expert, so hopefully others can chime in as well.

Would wiping the needle repeatedly help? Unsure if you tried that, because wiping the needle is not something that you have described doing.

I'd also try psi of 10 and lower, though unsure if that helps with the clogging.

Unless this particular Humbrol 56 paint is particularly weird to airbrush, maybe putting lube on the entire front part of the needle could help, though wipe off the excess part. I think I've read that you can wipe it gently with a cloth as long as the lube isn't removed in the process.

Edited by Housesparrow