Classic Airframes 1/48 Meteor T.Mk.7

Mark

I did not intend to do this as a WIP, I just wanted to crack on and get something finished! But as I'm quite chuffed with how she's turning out, here's a quick look at how I'm getting on with Classic Airframe's Meteor T.Mk.7

DSC_1933_zps5oynl5bu.jpg

DSC_1935_zps1b0jxdfo.jpg

DSC_1936_zpslhmbfxdg.jpg

DSC_1937_zpstoav5epl.jpg

She's not perfect by a long way, but I love the T.7, probably as it used to accompany the Vampire as part of the Vintage Pair display team back in the 1970s / 80s and the silver with yellow training bands really suits the aircraft. Still a lot to do, but it should be finished this year!! :yahoo:

• Like 7

I find a fine pin wash with paynes grey oil works a treat. Just to highlight the panel lines and tie in the decals...

yep agree - and remove the oil wash carefully so you leave just a smidge on some panels to suggest a bit of wear. You might also conside a few small chips on the intake lips too ( they were wood)

But - anyhow - thats a lovely looking model!

Jonners

Thanks all! Wood intakes? well I never... You do live and learn.

Bill, she's really a three-footer, but thanks! I wanted to start my line-up of Kent based aircraft and the Xtradecal sheet kept screaming at me! There were so many military airfields in Kent and now there are none.

I've started the undercarriage tonight and the mouldings are awful! So I cheated and looked at a Tamiya Mk.1 that I am not going to build and whadya know?! The Tamiya undercarriage doors and legs are, well, identical in dimension! I feel that maybe some plagiarism is in play here... ;)

Thanks all! Wood intakes? well I never... You do live and learn.

Bill, she's really a three-footer, but thanks! I wanted to start my line-up of Kent based aircraft and the Xtradecal sheet kept screaming at me! There were so many military airfields in Kent and now there are none.

I've started the undercarriage tonight and the mouldings are awful! So I cheated and looked at a Tamiya Mk.1 that I am not going to build and whadya know?! The Tamiya undercarriage doors and legs are, well, identical in dimension! I feel that maybe some plagiarism is in play here... ;)

The extreme rim of the intakes were wood, not the whole intake!!

I aim to do much the same regarding the Kentish Airfields too. I've started doing that in 1/72nd in the Meteor GB.

I have the CA T7 in the stash, and had planned on using the wings off of Airfix's new kit next year, but I'll build the T7 as is, but with the addition of Barracuda intakes, I've built a few CA Meat- boxes and really hate the intakes..the Narrow Breathers are too short, and the fit is poor. Regarding the undercarriage, I think it would have helped if the locating lugs actually had corresponding slots that the lugs fitted into! But overall, despite them being a challenge, I really like CAs Meteors...

Edited by Bill Clark

The kit has not been too much of a challenge, Bill. I have used the Barracuda intakes and when I realised that the kit's undercarriage was nothing short of a Tamiya clone, I used the latter's parts as I'm never going to build the Tamiya kit due to those inappropriate speed brakes!

I grew up in Kent and cleaned aircraft at Rochester as a teenager. I completed my PPL at Lydd and later, as a flying instructor, I worked at Biggin Hill, Headcorn, Lydd and Manston, so they are all close to my heart. Plus my sister lives in Hawkinge and my uncle has a lot to do with the BoB memorial.

The kit has not been too much of a challenge, Bill. I have used the Barracuda intakes and when I realised that the kit's undercarriage was nothing short of a Tamiya clone, I used the latter's parts as I'm never going to build the Tamiya kit due to those inappropriate speed brakes!

I grew up in Kent and cleaned aircraft at Rochester as a teenager. I completed my PPL at Lydd and later, as a flying instructor, I worked at Biggin Hill, Headcorn, Lydd and Manston, so they are all close to my heart. Plus my sister lives in Hawkinge and my uncle has a lot to do with the BoB memorial.

I have a love- hate relationship with the CA Meteors....luckily I still have a couple in the stash, and will build them, regardless of what looks to be a superb effort from Airfix next year..

Incidentally, I live about ten minutes from Headcorn, had a great summer this year with the semi-resident Spitfire and Harvard doing what seemed like daily displays over the house.....

... as I'm never going to build the Tamiya kit due to those inappropriate speed brakes!

Well, you can get a vac canopy that makes it a Mk.III, you could fill the speed brakes easily, or (my favorite idea) get the vac canopy and use the fuselage with Airfix wings to make a Mk.4!

bob