prospective new typhoon squadrons

PaulR

Evening all,

Well, it would seem(yet to be confirmed though!) that the tranche 1 typhoons are to be retained after all for dedicated air defence, and for red air aggressor duty... so, as modellers, the important question is ; which squadrons will be resurrected? I rather hope 100sqn will stay as red air (would some US style aggressor camo schemes be too much to hope for?), but as regards the other two air defence units... 19sqn? 23sqn? Or could it even be 74sqn?

Oh the agony of choice! Hope xtradecal are at the ready...

• Like 1

Hopefully 19 Sqn,...........too much to ask for 249 Sqn,.....which I believe was the highest scoring RAF fighter sqn of WW2,...or am I totally wrong on this?

Cheers

Tony

As per raf policy it will be the lowest number not allocated

I had thought that rather it went to the most senior inactive squadron, regardless of number -- IE the one with the most time spent active.

• Like 2

It'll be the most senior number unallocated, subject to several caveats.

1. Role association - so most unlikely that (say) 207 squadron will reform on a fighter type

2. Re-equipment - the Air Staff may decide to re-equip a squadron, so (say) 9 Squadron might re-equip with Typhoon. This is often done to avoid killing off a very senior squadron.

3. Numberplate becoming available - for instance, 5 Squadron loses the Sentinel; it is, though, a very senior squadron, so the Air Staff would almost certainly seek to reform it.

The list of seniority amongst fighter-associated number plates that are free goes something like this: 19, 25, 20, 23, 43, 111 and 74

If one of the Tranche 1 squadrons is to have a target facilities/ 'Red Air' role, then 100 could easily be re-equipped from the Hawk, but I would imagine that this would be a secondary role and that 100 would continue with a cheaper-to-operate type than the Typhoon to fulfil its dedicated role.

According to the BBC news, the airframes will be upgraded to allow for air to ground weapons. Is this the tranche 1 airframes or newer airframes not yet upgraded to tranche 4? My understanding was the tranche 1 airframes couldn't be upgraded which was why they were going to be retired.

If I recall correctly status as a reserve squadron does not count for seniority when deciding the sqns with the longest heritage. Therefore in view of 19 and 20 being reserve sqns in their later guises, then that might suggest 25 and 43 for the new Typhoon sqns. Any my money is on 5 as the first P-8 sqn

Mark

Surely the new P-8 squadron should come from the old RNAS 200 series as these are just as senior as the ex RFC units yet there are hardly any in use?

I`d like to see 19 & 43 Sqns reformed on Typhoon`s but I`m just relieved in general that the RAF is expanding slightly at last!

Hopefully the Fleet Air Arm will get another one or two extra squadrons reformed for F-35`s too, but it will probably end up being 2 x RAF & 2 x RN sqns?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Why not make 617 Sqn one of the new Typhoon squadrons and then give the Fleet Air Arm responsibility for all three of the proposed F-35 units. After all the F-35 is primarily destined for the new aircraft carriers as a naval asset and if they are required for land based operations too then naval pilots can do that too on behalf of the MoD! It doesn`t need to be a Joint Force.

Most other navies in the world wouldn`t involve the air force in its air defence and strike operations,.....so why should the RN?

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 2

Why not make 617 Sqn one of the new Typhoon squadrons and then give the Fleet Air Arm responsibility for all three of the proposed F-35 units. After all the F-35 is primarily destined for the new aircraft carriers as a naval asset and if they are required for land based operations too then naval pilots can do that too on behalf of the MoD! It doesn`t need to be a Joint Force.

I don't see the RAF being terribly enthused about giving up all stake in what might well be the very last manned fighter aircraft used by Great Britain.

More importantly, the UK's military is now too small not to be sentimental, IMO. Britain is still a medium power, which is no small thing, but when your armed forces are this small, you should embrace the emotive aspects of it, and the rule of cool. So what I'm saying is, 74 Squadron or bust.

• Like 1

Just stick the F-35`s at Yeovilton under Naval Air Command, 3 x NAS`s plus the OCU, just like it used to be! :pirate::whistle:

One of the extra Typhoon Sqn`s at Lossie to cover Northern QRA, the other at Coningsby for Southern QRA or form another third Typhoon Wing at Wyton.

Cheers

Tony