Rob, I always use primer before painting with acrylics. Vallejo Grey Primer is a great one, you can also brush it on, dilutes perfectly with Future.

Ciao

Somthing to look at there giemme I must confess I have only used primer once and it wasn't on 1/72, it was my Malta spitfire

Cheers for popping along its appreciated

Rob

I used to use acrylics in my former life as an assembler of 1/35 AFVs but always used a primer. Since converting to 1/72 aircraft, I've used enamels (because I like the smell) so the only trouble I have is when I don't wait long enough between coats and the thinners I use lift the paint.

It all looks okay to me but, perhaps, your standards are higher than mine. :winkgrin:

I didn't mention the Vought Kingfisher, Fairy Fulmar, two Hurricanes, Mosquito, Hellcat, two Tommahawks and Blenheim I that have stalled.

It's X.UP of No79 Sqn RAAF... I messed-up the transfers and had the good fortune to find a member on here who was willing to make a swap.

Missed you out there Simon

That is a lot of builds!! I have always liked the kingfisher, I like a float plane but find them underrepresented in new tool format! One day I might have a go at pulling a few of the older models in line.... Before that I need to build my airfix catalina to a good standard!

Love the vc, in fact I am a fan of the mk v in all its different schemes... It feels very varied due to when it entered service?! Hmmm hopefully airfix's mkva will accidentally come with vb and vc set of wings in every box....

Also I feel I need to to some different types of roundles soon as there are some great subjects outside of the Europen/ North Africa theatre

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

I have had a problem like this with Citadel acrylics a couple of times. Let the offending part dry and then use a cotton earbud soaked in methylated spirits to clean of the acrylic paint. You should find that the acrylic can be removed very easily. After letting the part dry again the new coat of acrylic should adhere properly.

Just my :2c: but it works for me :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Please take a seat.... I don't Mind being watched....oh wait ummmmmm I mean from a thread point of view!!

Rob

:nono: ....no ,no,no........that's just wrong

Sean

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

I have had a problem like this with Citadel acrylics a couple of times. Let the offending part dry and then use a cotton earbud soaked in methylated spirits to clean of the acrylic paint. You should find that the acrylic can be removed very easily. After letting the part dry again the new coat of acrylic should adhere properly.

Just my :2c: but it works for me :winkgrin:

p that is some good advice Julian, I may not do that with the above as I think after a wash and belt and then the canopy on top no one will know... Well apart from anyone that reads this thread...

Would you not recommend citadel paints? I heard they were good for brush painting a metal finish??

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

p that is some good advice Julian, I may not do that with the above as I think after a wash and belt and then the canopy on top no one will know... Well apart from anyone that reads this thread...

Would you not recommend citadel paints? I heard they were good for brush painting a metal finish??

Citadel paints are excellent and I use them a lot. I find that the Chaos Black and Skull white sometimes have a tendency to pool instead of cover though :winkgrin:

That is a lot of builds!! I have always liked the kingfisher, I like a float plane but find them underrepresented in new tool format! One day I might have a go at pulling a few of the older models in line.... Before that I need to build my airfix catalina to a good standard!

Too many and I forgot the Freightdog PRIX conversion and the Airfix Spitfire Vb that I'm converting into a Ib. I try to limit myself to nothing larger than a small twin-engine aircraft but that went wrong with a cheap Academy Fortress Mkl, cheap Trumpeter Wellington MkIII and a cheap Airfix Lancaster III (from Airfix's recent sale)... oh well.

I'm making the Kingfisher as a landplane...

Love the vc, in fact I am a fan of the mk v in all its different schemes... It feels very varied due to when it entered service?! Hmmm hopefully airfix's mkva will accidentally come with vb and vc set of wings in every box....

I can see why you like the V, it came into service at the point the RAF were going from TLS to DFS and it served with the USAAF and VVS and, overseas (both in the desert and far east). Plenty of options. You need to stock-up on the AZ Joypacks.

The only thing better than two Spitfires is THREE Spitfires, nice one Rob.

:D Agreed! Glad to hear from you Cooken :thumbsup: , are you all right?

Sorry for the hijkack, Rob.

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks Giemme, I'm back at the bench, and getting into the swing of things - three Spitfires just like you Rob (two AZ XVI's and finishing up the BoB GB Mk I).

:speak_cool: From an egoistic point of view, I hoped you'd keep working on the Eurofighter (I have the same kit in my stash), but your triple build is going to be fun nonetheless :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

Simon, I am now looking for AZ mkv spitfires, found the a and b but c is thin on the ground.... I may perchase one or two in the new year!

Cookie... And you know what better than three spitfires!! Good to have you along mate, hope life is good and your not being kept too busy? Looking forward to your return to these pages 😀

Giemme don't worry, if you think that's a hijack I have seen worse! I am a fan of thread drift, especially for cookie Q&A

Rob

Dam didn't refresh before post! Cookie that's ace news, and three spitfires! Only a true gent builds spitfires in threes! Are you starting a WIP? ..... Don't listen to giemme about the eurofighter oh likes fast jets over a prop eh!!??

Edited by rob85
  • Like 3

Simon, I am now looking for AZ mkv spitfires, found the a and b but c is thin on the ground.... I may perchase one or two in the new year!

Avoid the Va, it's a MkIb (edit: it's the Mk1) with different decals and one of their earlier, more short-run, models. The Vb is good, it's also boxed as a Ib/ IIb & VI. If you can get your hands on decals, get a Joypack... three kits in one box.

AZ don't do a Vc, Sword do. If you get their Seafire III, the boxing contains enough spares to make a Vc although you need to find the cockpit and undercarriage.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 2

Avoid the Va, it's a MkIb with different decals and one of their earlier, more short-run, models. The Vb is good, it's also boxed as a Ib/ IIb & VI. If you can get your hands on decals, get a Joypack... three kits in one box.

AZ don't do a Vc, Sword do. If you get their Seafire III, the boxing contains enough spares to make a Vc although you need to find the cockpit and undercarriage.

Currently sold out, but they look an absolute bargain!! Also looking at their website they have loads of choice... I am guessing there is a bit of inconsistency between kits though?

Rob

P.s. I will do work on the trio soon I promise... It's not all just chat!

Beard, AZ's Va is their mk Ia/II/PR1G tooling with a new resin oil cooler. It's definitely not their Ib kit.

Not worth waiting for the Airfix Va kit, bearing in mind it's just a rebox with new decals of their mk I/IIa kit, which had the larger V oil cooler and fishtail exhausts on the same sprue as the Rotol and Watts props. Just go and raid your stash now.

• Like 1

Beard, AZ's Va is their mk Ia/II/PR1G tooling with a new resin oil cooler. It's definitely not their Ib kit.

Thanks for pointing that out. The error was caused by the predictive text on my phone. Now corrected. Edited by Beard
  • Like 1

Not worth waiting for the Airfix Va kit, bearing in mind it's just a rebox with new decals of their mk I/IIa kit, which had the larger V oil cooler and fishtail exhausts on the same sprue as the Rotol and Watts props. Just go and raid your stash now.

That's a bummer, I was hoping for a proper re tool

Rob

I was miffed when the IIa came out with said sprue, as I'd cross kitted the Airfix Ia with a Hobbyboss Vb, swapping the oil coolers! It'd be nice if the Va was a retool, but I really do suspect a rebadgeing of the IIa kit. And Bader's markings.. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Nil points for imagination, Airfix!

That said, the IIa kit is an ideal basis for some of the early PR mks, what with the larger oil cooler, Coffman starter and Rotol prop. All you really need is the blister hood - the windscreen will sand down quite nicely to the wraparound PR screen.

• Like 1

I was miffed when the IIa came out with said sprue, as I'd cross kitted the Airfix Ia with a Hobbyboss Vb, swapping the oil coolers! It'd be nice if the Va was a retool, but I really do suspect a rebadgeing of the IIa kit. And Bader's markings.. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Nil points for imagination, Airfix!

That said, the IIa kit is an ideal basis for some of the early PR mks, what with the larger oil cooler, Coffman starter and Rotol prop. All you really need is the blister hood - the windscreen will sand down quite nicely to the wraparound PR screen.

Bader is a definite possibility as the did it as a boxing before didn't they.... I hope this is not the case as they have had good form of late.... But it probably will be the case!

Real shame they haven't just done a mk v b/c as it's very much needed!

PR idea is a very good one mind!!! Love a or aircraft!!

Rob