Color Question

ARHinVA

Just thought of something that might not be immediatley apparent - if the outside is camouflaged with PC10 or whatever, that doesn't leak through (multiple coats of clear dope beffore it's applied prevent that), and the colour doesn't show through either. So you'd still paint the fabric visible inside the cockpit with whatever you use for the CDL of the undersurfaces. Well, I do, anyway. HTH.

Paul.

Just thought of something that might not be immediatley apparent - if the outside is camouflaged with PC10 or whatever, that doesn't leak through (multiple coats of clear dope beffore it's applied prevent that), and the colour doesn't show through either. So you'd still paint the fabric visible inside the cockpit with whatever you use for the CDL of the undersurfaces. Well, I do, anyway. HTH.

Paul.

Thx - I had guessed that might be the case, but also figured that at some point before 1935 they started using the primer. But I suppose the time that a WW I could be expected to survive the enemy, or become obsolete (the technology was improving at a rapid rate) so building it to last a long time was not an issue in 1917.

Something I have never thought about before....

Was the PC10 applied at the factory or was it done 'in theatre'?

There seems such a wide variety with some aircraft having CDL fuselage underside, others having PC10 everywhere except the wing and tail undersides. Some having PC10 cowlings others bare metal.

Something I have never thought about before....

Was the PC10 applied at the factory or was it done 'in theatre'?

There seems such a wide variety with some aircraft having CDL fuselage underside, others having PC10 everywhere except the wing and tail undersides. Some having PC10 cowlings others bare metal.

Factory. Differing companies had different ideas about what to cover, and the officicial recommendations changed with time and the results of experimentation. PC10 was introduced in 1916 IIRC, mostly replacing other proprietary finishes.

If you're at all interested, there's a monograph by Bruce Robertson from Albatros. It's Winsock fabric special no. 2 and is called WWI British Aeroplane Colours and Markings. Explains everything far better than I could. I don't think it is currently in print, or at least if it's on their website I haven't found it. Might be worth emailing Ray Rimell and asking though.

Paul.

Paul is right, but not completely. Clear doped or silver doped RFC aeroplanes in use were given PC 10 in the field. New machines reaching the squadrons were finished at the factories.

The RNAS preferred PC 12

Paul is right, but not completely. Clear doped or silver doped RFC aeroplanes in use were given PC 10 in the field. New machines reaching the squadrons were finished at the factories.

The RNAS preferred PC 12

Story of my life. I was trying to keep it short, and totally forgot to mention machines being brought up to current practice in the field, and when sent for major repairs. Of course that also applies to changes in national markings, the same as in the later unpleasantness. A bit removed from the original question, but worth mentioning the interesting finishes that turned up due to replacing bits like ailerons and even whole wings from other machines that had been finished differently. You could even get upper wings replacing lower ones on some types, so that the there was a cockade in a very strange place.

Paul.

I have often come across such a phenomenon particularly in reference to DH-2's.

I have to admit that I have tended to rely very much on the kit instructions for my painting and decaling.

Hopefully once I have got my 'basic' set of WWI examples built I will then settle down to a more in-depth, research powered approach to my kit constructions. At the moment it is very much 'Too many kits to build and too little time'. :mental: