1/48 Revell F-5F +++FINISHED+++

AndyC

As I started painting the cockpits on my 'E' models, I thought I may as well start on this one too!

Box shots to start as per usual...

005_zpsbhvtquwl.jpg

006_zps4jwbdubj.jpg

May well do the Sundowners scheme in the box as they look good quality. See you soon.

• Like 1

Been getting on with the Monogram/Revell two-seater. Noticeably a newer and more detailed kit than its single seat brethren although with the same fit issues in the way its engineered.

Started on the cockpit...I decided not to use the decals as there is some well-defined detail to the side consoles and the IP's.

003_zpslx4onvzx.jpg

004_zpssljyniqm.jpg

006_zpsqsaz1vg4.jpg

007_zpsb0aidvvd.jpg

008_zpsvenmprwm.jpg

I will prime and paint the upper parts of the cockpit in readiness for receiving the tub and the IPs. Then I can glue up the fuselage and repeat the process from my single seaters. Thanks for looking

• 1 month later...

While waiting for various paints to arrive for my two F-5E builds, I have been cracking on with my F model...

The finished cockpit was glue in place into the top half with the various coamings and upper cockpit areas brush painted in NATO Black. I have also glued a nut into the bottom half as nose weight.

004_zps4ge8gxw6.jpg

Dry fit of the halves - not great as per Monogram/Revell standard!

006_zpsbq6qxvzo.jpg

So...filler on after glueing and into the usual cycle...

002_zpsytcaclh4.jpg

003_zpsian2r4vi.jpg

Intakes glued in place and filled

004_zpsljhbgvxw.jpg

Bottom side - you can see how much filler is needed to blend in the wings with their half-and-half design. I'd rather sand a leading edge than fill as per this design...

005_zpsqt4j8dfv.jpg

Anyway, this will move quicker now as I have the paints for this as a life-long USN builder (its going to be a VFC-111 machine).

Comments welcomed.

• Like 3

I feel your pain!

:winkgrin: why would you want one of those "fall together" kits anyway? Sense of satisfaction with this...or agony :analintruder:

• Like 2

Sanding gives you a chance to contemplate the meaning of life and modelling in general.............as in why do we bother! :)

Where there a couple of dimples on the top of the wings, just I noticed some filler there.

• Like 2

Sanding gives you a chance to contemplate the meaning of life and modelling in general.............as in why do we bother! :)

Where there a couple of dimples on the top of the wings, just I noticed some filler there.

Yes Rich - common to both the E and F models; slight sink marks caused in forming the wheel wells - I could have ignored them as they may have disappeared under paint but as I had the filler out... :shrug:

Looking good Andy, look forward to some paint going on! I think some of the most fun models I have built were so called 'old or outdated' kits :)

Totally agree mate... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

All the lumpy bits are glued in place and the canopy has been masked and glued. The fit wasn't great but I think that be my fault in the placement of the 'pit tub :banghead:

Quick couple of pics below - canopy on and a pic with her two single seat sisters who are already primed, re-sanded and ready for a re-prime. Thanks for looking

001_zpspyfbomh1.jpg

008_zpsjppot2sq.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some paint on this...

All primed using Vallejo Grey Primer

001_zpskldu3z6r.jpg

I then put the first coat on, the overall Light Ghost Grey and then started masking up for the 36495 light grey only to find I didn't have any (having thought I did)!

002_zpskvvcbme9.jpg

Went to my fave paint conversion chart and noted that 36495 has an equivalent to Tamiya Sky Grey...so I duly sprayed that and it looked wierd and way too close to LGG. Out came a bottle of Tamiya White to try and lighten it and then another spray - still looked too close and not light enough. Out with my xtracrylix white and Barley Grey and mixed these using the white as the dominant colour base instead of the grey and got a better result. Why Xtracrylix? I was fed up of spraying and went for a brush finish instead and I don't like Tamiya paint when brushed.

I then brushed on the French Blue Grey and voila!

003_zpsfhcvj3sr.jpg

And with all the masking removed. The fin has not been painted as it will have the enormous Sundowner decal

004_zpsxllyzlep.jpg

And lastly all three about to get a spray varnish of Alclad Gloss

005_zpsokiyicjx.jpg

006_zpsn1sxheuc.jpg

Rich will note the TWO replacement pitots! Thanks for looking and all comments welcome.

• Like 3

nice work Andy they look great together....and yes I did notice the new pitot probes. But there's still time to make it 3 from 3! :P

The grey one for some reason is my fav of the bunch.

• Like 1

Full of a cold so have been exiled to the den...

Sidewinders have had their bodies sprayed Tamiya Metallic Blue and the wheels have all been painted for all three...

004_zpseowdldd4.jpg

Decals are on the F...

005_zps3qupefcx.jpg

006_zpsyo1bkxrj.jpg

Thanks for looking - I expect the next update to be the RFI!

• Like 6