AC Cobra 1/24th

Hamden

• 2 weeks later...

From what I recall , the Revell kit is a 427 and so wouldn't have had wires . They all had peg-drive alloys , either the black-centred Halibrands or the Pete Brock designed sunbursts . That said , if you really want wires , Fujimi sell the Borranis from their Ferrari Daytona kits , which are quite nice , though maybe a little wide . Either that or try to acquire the wheels and tyres from the Tamiya Jaguar Mk 2 , which are REALLY nice .

Loads here...

http://www.grandprixmodels.co.uk/searchresults.php?page=1&start=0&cat=DATABASE%20SEARCH&back=2

For some odd reason, the link takes you to different pages...

In the website search box, write: '1/24 wire wheels'.

I bought a set for the Revell 1/24 250GTO.

Beautiful wheels.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Thanks for info guys that's really helpful.

The long term plan is to back date to a Mk2 Cobra with transverse leaf spring suspension and rh drive.

Roger

Hmm , I suspect you'll struggle with that since , as far as I recall , the Mk 2 body is smaller all round , the chassis is smaller & the suspension totally different .

Good luck with the project though

Of course a simpler but equally attractive project would be to build an AC 289 Mk 3 , which is essentially a 427 body/chassis unit fitted with the 289 HiPo motor & wire wheels , offered on the UK & European markets . You'd just need a smallblock engine & a set of wires .

• Like 1

Of course a simpler but equally attractive project would be to build an AC 289 Mk 3 , which is essentially a 427 body/chassis unit fitted with the 289 HiPo motor & wire wheels , offered on the UK & European markets . You'd just need a smallblock engine & a set of wires .

In 1/24 the difference in body size won't be to obvious, the kit engine would suffice as I intend to seal the bonnet closed.

The Cobra I'm hoping to replicate is one that I have worked on and driven on one occasion in the late 70's early 80's and belonged to the late Paul Channon

Roger

Would you not be better off with the AMT kit ? It's usually referred to as a 289 , though is really an early 260 , but it's much nearer to the car you're aiming for than the Revell kit is . I assume the car you're referring to is 676 COB ? If so , from the pic I've seen , the body seems to be pretty much a standard Mk2 289 with the "eyebrow" style arches widened a bit . The AMT kit comes with wires , so that would save you sourcing any .