ICM LaGG-3, 1:48

Hi, everyone! My recently finished LaGG-3... I used Eduard's PE and resin gunsight by Quickboost. All the markings painted using Montex masks. Painted was done, as usually in my case, using Tamiya and Mr.Hobby acrylics. Hope you enjoy :)

DSC_0968_zpsugaf6a3p.jpg

DSC_0969_zpsptbidrtb.jpgDSC_0970_zpswmzcxpzb.jpgDSC_0971_zpsbkadfjsu.jpgDSC_0972_zpsgq2rhfef.jpgDSC_0973_zpsr0czupsx.jpgDSC_0974_zps84jc5zdb.jpgDSC_0975_zpsmo4qx23c.jpgDSC_0976_zpstiffrj1b.jpgDSC_0961_zpszweotloc.jpgDSC_0962_zpsgkgf66lh.jpgDSC_0963_zpsnc9wcsac.jpgDSC_0964_zpsxcl9ufqq.jpgDSC_0966_zpserkb9pcy.jpgDSC_0967_zpskxejf8mh.jpg

DSC_0703_zpshrrqzv2x.jpgDSC_0705_zpsibk2s0zp.jpg

• Like 15

Excellent job on the model! Interesting paint scheme - why the brown?

Regards,

Jason

Thanx! Such painting scheme was proposed by Montex. To be honest, I did not investigate the topic deeply... Now I know, that this intepretation of BW photos was probably wrong, but it is too late to repaint. I thinh that LaGG looks great in this scheme, even if it is SF ;)

• Like 1

The livery surprised me too. Maybe when we see green and brown on anything Russian we shoot first, ask questions later?...

The model is very nicely done, I am envious of those well-behaved washes in the cockpit.

By the by, there's a rumour going on that the ICM Lagg-3 is underscale: I've compared the kit parts against both LTD's Lagg-3 and Zvezda's La-5 (wings only), and they match within a millimeter, so whatever some people are smoking they're better off going cold turkey...

Drop dead gorgeous job regardless. Very nicely finished, and a beautiful build of the type. :goodjob:

For reference only IMLK:

In May of 1941, Stalin ordered a comission to trace detailed instructions for camouflage schemes within three day. The result was the well known soft edged black AMT-6 and green AMT-4 upper and side surface scheme introduced in July 1941.

The LaGG-3 was first committed to combat in July of 1941, suggestive it probable most if not all LaGGs pre the later change to contrasting upper greys for fighters were camouflaged per the above instruction.

Possible that some LaGG-3s were painted in an experimental brown and green or predating upper scheme? Apparently so. Below is pictured an artist's plate from "Chasseur Bombardiers" by William Green, Gordon Swanborough 1993 Edition of a specific LaGG-3 of the Baltic Fleet Air Force reportedly shot down over Finland on 6th March, 1942.

LaGG-3_zpsfc5ur65m.jpg

Edited by Bigglesof266

You have done great job on this LaGG, but I have couple objections.

First, colours are way to wrong! Silver 71 was shot down by Finnish AA fire. There is a several good pics and some finnish report about silver 71. 71 was in standard lagg`s paint scheme of AMT4 green and AMT6 black at the top and AMT7 l.blue on underside. This scheme was slightly modified with some bright green mabey brush painted. The edges of camo colors were hard and plane was gloss finished. AMT4 is fs24151 and AMT7 fs25550, i am not sure for light green.

And second thing are wing roots! There shouldn't be any alu/steel plating sou there isn't any panel lines! Body and wings of Lagg was plywood and there was just a curv pretty much like on I-16.

And one more thing, but I am not sure about that...interior, on this specimen, was silver. But I am not sure.

Please do not take my objections to hard! I just really like VVS and LaGG`s underdog.