Dehaviland Vampire Colors

TME3

Were ANY Vampire F.3s, in RAF service, painted in any scheme other than overall silver..? If so, can you point me to photos...? Thanks....

Not that I've ever seen references to.

The F1 did appear in WW2 type camo., and then Medium Sea Grey over PRU Blue as well as overall silver...but not the F3

Warpaint Publications 27 DH Vampire only shows metal finish, if there was a variation, you'd think 'Warpaint' would go with it, after all that's their raison d'etre??

. . . Kes (more into Venom than Vampire!)

• 1 year later...

Ok, a bit of a time lag, but I've just been researching this since I found out about the incident in Mrytle Road. You're probably well ahead of my findings, or moved on - but the aircraft would have been overall aluminium finish with black serials, and squadron/aircraft code ZY-Y on the nose. Like this contemporary 247 sqn example I found. Alley Cat may be getting an order soon....

p1292866695-3.jpg

I've done the same bit of research, and I can only find high speed silver as an option. It seems that whereas FB.5s and FB.9s saw a lot of second line use into the 1960s with the likes of CAACUs etc, the F.3 disappeared from the scene very quickly and weren't around long enough to be painted in anything else. Luckily the Revell rebox of the Special Hobby contains all the parts for the fighter-bombers.:winkgrin: