When is a PT17 a PT13 or is it?

Texian

Now that my title has you totally confused, welcome to my world! :mental:

I got a Lindberg two in one kit set with an SE5 and a Stearman PT17.* As most here are aware, I sure, the Lindberg line of models are best known for being cheap. That goes for Quality (I use the word loosely) as well as in cost.

Well, the engine included bears a pretty strong resemblance to the Lycoming R680. I looked the PT17 up and it seems it wore a number of different engines over the years. Then I ran across one reference that said a Stearman with that Lycoming was actually not a PT17 but was in fact a PT13. I only had time for a quick look but, what I saw seemed to bear that out. Enough so that I thought to run it by here. I know there are some very knowledgeable people here that came give me some sound reference backed (not necessary to provide that) information.

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

* When I get a little farther along I'll open a build thread. That will be a first for me. Not building a model, but, posting it on line. Wish me luck.

The different designations were based on the different engines fitted. The PT-17 had the Continental R-670. The PT-13 had the Lycoming R-680. However... the Lycoming also had an unusual front-mounted exhaust collector. A nice R-680 is available from Ultracast, I believe, but the front collector means that you'll still have to do some scratch-building of that part. Actually, I'm working on a sheet of decals for the PT-17 (almost done). I was inspired by the new Revell 1/48 kit. I had a really nice scheme for a PT-13, but eventually removed it from the sheet because I wanted people to be able to use the stock kit without having to do any mods. Here's what the front exhaust collector looks like.

R680nose.jpg

In the photo, #1 is the kit's engine as it came only I had started to paint it. I got nosy, did some research and that led me here. Though the kit is labeled "PT17" that is pretty clearly the Lycoming. The thing that prompted me to scratch build on the engine was the fact the the pipes to the collector (is that the same as an exhaust manifold?) went the wrong way, turning outward clockwise opposite from thee actual engine. That was just too much to bear.

2. is the pipes trimmed off, 3. with a domed washer in place for the 'exhaust collector' and a couple spares beside it for example. To the immediate right, obviously a real engine and 4. my clumsy attempts at making the engine. After much hemming and hawing I decided that copper wire was the right. Of course now, I think smaller had been better. Also the cylinder heads could be taller. The dime is for comparison.

As noted, I am not done yet. Have to manage the exhaust pipe and tri-bracket... thing... behind the prop and painting of course.

You know, if I had it to do over, I would just have made a new engine from scratch. I think it would have been easier and looked better in the long run.

For the record, I have been mostly out of modeling for a few... uhhh... decades, other than one here or there. I do not have the shoe box full of parts I had back in the day. Heck, I got NO spare parts! Everything I scratch build has to be from whatever I can find lying around. I was thrilled that dome washer fit as well as it did. I just had to relieve the back side some is all.

Clipboard_zps9oyd9kf6.jpg

Edited by Texian
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks! But, in all honesty, it is more a matter of luck than cleverness. Whjo could have planned for a hardware part to so perfectly fit a model part?! :coolio: