SU-27 Boffin needed!

Sir T

Hi All,

I could really use some advice from someone that knows their SU-27’s.

I want to make an 1/72 SU-27P from Belarus (circa 1991 – decals available from Hannants).

I’ve managed to figure out that a P variant is the same a B but without the Air-ground capability. So I could use a Flanker B model and not fit any Air to Ground weapons – but I can’t seem to find a decent kit of a Flanker B anywhere –and I don’t fancy building the Airfix kit (I don’t mind them, I’m just a little tired of raised panel lines)

Could I use the Revell SM kit? http://www.scalemodellingnow.com/hnaircraftkits-revell-sukhoi-su27sm-flanker

From what I’ve read on the net the SM had a few upgrades from the SU-27M/SU-35 but it seems a bit hazy as to what the difference between a B and an SM are externally? As far as I can see the kit has the single nose wheel, dorsal airbrake and non-vectoring nozzles.

Are there any other external differences between the two types – or is it all internal black boxes?

If this isn't possible, can anyone recommend a decent OOB 1/72 Flanker B.

Cheers

Stuart

Oh, and does anyone manufacture decent (brush paintable) Soviet/Russian paint sets.

cheers!

Edited by Sir T

I'm sure Ken will chime in at any moment, but a quick and dirty shot for the bow: remove the RWR pips from the wing leading edges, and change the offset IRST to a centreline position.

HTH,

Andre

Thanks Andre,

By IRST - do you mean the sensor housing in front of the cockpit?

Cheers

Stuart

Hook has it covered - but an easier solution is the Trumpeter Su-27.......

I did mine with digital decals - but otherwise it's straight out of the box........

Digital_005.jpg

The Trumpeter kit has incorrectly angled main wheel bays - but once built, they are mostly covered by the intakes, so aren't so visible.

If you can live with that, the Trumpeter kit requires no modification work.

The Zvezda/Revell Su-27SM is way more accurate - but it represents a version only Russia flies - and requires mods to make a Su-27P - the IRST being the most difficult.

Happy Flankering!

Ken

• Like 1

Sir T,

I didn't do a WIP on the digital Flanker - but I did on the Trumpeter J-11B - which is, essentially the same kit.

That build is here - as you can see, no major problems, it all goes together OK.

I've also done their Su-30MKK and Su-27UB - here.

Plus their Su-27 (early)

They are all the same basic kit - and all build up without any major prolems (that canted main wheel bay notwithstanding)

Cheers

Ken

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The Su-27SM is uniquely operated by Russia - no other nation AFAIK.

Which makes it an odd choice of variant by Zvezda - a marketing opportunity missed.

If you add a scratched IFR probe (or just its covered recess) to the port side of the nose under the windscreen - you could model it as an Indonesian AF Su-27SKM..

http://theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/pb2012_1.jpg

http://theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/pb2012_4.jpg

Ken

• Like 1