Harrier GR3 - Merging Monogram & Airfix kits 1/48

Gary West

Seeing Kinetic's gorgeous FRS1 recently got the Harrier juices flowing, but not being available as yet, and realising that inevitably Kinetic would be releasing a GR3 within the next couple of years, I decided the next best thing was to get stuck into a project thats been on the cards for some time.

Brief history lesson - The Airfix GR3 is rubbish the Monogram although dated, isn't so as many before me have done, bang em togther.

100_2804.jpg

Components inc Airfix Nose section & Tail

All raised detail removed and a complete re-scribe

Neomega FRS1 set (will unashamedly use this as a GR3 pit)

Heritage intakes although I decided against these and used the Monogram parts with home made blow doors

100_2806.jpg

100_2809.jpg

The Monogram glazing doesnt fit the Airfix nose section, but thankfully the Airfix part looks ok anyway - replaced the pathetic pitot tube set up

100_2811.jpg

100_2810.jpg

The kits sausaged/Maskolled up ready for spraying today - my favourite part :thumbsup:

• Like 7

Well that certainly looks like a GR.3. Did you modify the 'pit at all or fit it straight in as moulded?

Small adjustments Col, the tub was a perfect fit but the Instrument Panel has two outer panels that had to be removed. By the time you drop a seat into it, much of the pit will be hidden anyway.

• Like 1

Wow...excellent work...I've not really been interested about Harriers until I purchased an old Monogram kit from ebay, planning to build it as a Spanish Navy AV8A Matador.....then, a few of them came to my stash, in the shape of both an Airfix and a Tamiya FRS.1....

As a result, I'm falling in love with these little jumpers...will be following your build with great interest...!!!!

Cheers...

• Like 1

Not sure if she'll wear Nos 1 or 4 Sqn markings, but aiming at a late 70s finish.

I managed to get the spraying done today and off with all that Blu tack!

100_2830.jpg

100_2827_1.jpg

100_2815.jpg

A little tidying to do and a coat or two of Klear before masking off the Aden pods and spraying those next.

• Like 12

I don't think the tanks had 4 fins. I believe, and please correct me if I'm wrong, they only had the 2 lower ones.

These are "ferry tanks" and they did have four fins. I may have a photo somewhere...edit: also The smaller tanks had a pair of fins initially, but these were removed very early on in their careers. Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 1

I don't think the tanks had 4 fins. I believe, and please correct me if I'm wrong, they only had the 2 lower ones.

As Bill says, these are in fact the much larger 330 Gal tanks used for long ferry trips and not the smaller 170 tanks typically seen - its having those too

As Bill says, these are in fact the much larger 330 Gal tanks used for long ferry trips and not the smaller 170 tanks typically seen - its having those too

Handy for a long overseas deployment Gary? They were certainly used in 1982 when heading south....one observation, if I may, are the fins shapes correct? I can't find any pic's at the moment, but I seem to recall them being a bit more angular, if that makes sense!

Edit: found this on the Gutersloh spotters site...

Not sure if it'll come out okay, but it shows the shape of the fins a bit better...you may need to scroll down the page, there are a few 1sqn aircraft with the tanks....

http://sg-etuo.de/Visiting-Aircraft/RAF-No1-Sqn

Edit/edit.....the normal tanks are surely 100 gallon tanks, not 170? , the Shar 1&2 could latterly carry 190 gallon tanks...

Edited by Bill Clark

Handy for a long overseas deployment Gary? They were certainly used in 1982 when heading south....one observation, if I may, are the fins shapes correct? I can't find any pic's at the moment, but I seem to recall them being a bit more angular, if that makes sense!

Absolutely and when combined with the IRFP makes the GR3 look quite a menacing beast - thanks for the link Bill, I can now see the angle issue - will get the sanding stick out.

170 tanks?

The combat tanks were 100gal tanks not 170.

Selwyn

I finally decided on the Squadron and a/c serial - Harriers just have to be the Premier Sqn!

A couple of coats of Klear the decalling underway but restricted to roundals etc for now - Airfix's decal sheet was shall we say not suitable to be used - awaiting replacement. Those decals shown are from Xtradecal sheet.

100_2837.jpg

100_2836.jpg

100_2838.jpg

100_2839.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice Gary, I must finish off my Kinetic FA2/Monogram GR3 kit-bash one day...

Thanks Bill and go make it happen :-)

Im seriously tempted to go straight into a T4 build after this before Kinetic relaease their T2/4 most likely in 2016 sometime, if not I'll never build my Heritage conversion!

Thanks Bill and go make it happen :-)

Im seriously tempted to go straight into a T4 build after this before Kinetic relaease their T2/4 most likely in 2016 sometime, if not I'll never build my Heritage conversion!

I had that set some years ago. The resin was okay-ish, but the canopy's were too big. I know Nick Greenall re-mastered the T10/12, somewhat superbly. Not sure whether the T2/4 was upgraded and improved as well. The original set had three different rear fuselages. For some reason whoever mastered them thought that the T4N/T8 had a bulge there - which no-one could find!!

Not sure whether the T2/4 was upgraded and improved as well.

I have the original and I did also have the later boxing too which I subsequently sold, and Im pretty sure there was no change - the tail end seems workable but the cockpit tub is just too narrow and when I took a measurement of the cockpit width (outer wall to wall) between the T4 (Pilots pit) and Airfix GR3 the difference was almost 4mm! So Im thinking of using the Airfix GR3 for the LRMTS, and slice the cockpit section straight down the centre and add a 4mm plug. Watch this space?

• Like 1

I have the original and I did also have the later boxing too which I subsequently sold, and Im pretty sure there was no change - the tail end seems workable but the cockpit tub is just too narrow and when I took a measurement of the cockpit width (outer wall to wall) between the T4 (Pilots pit) and Airfix GR3 the difference was almost 4mm! So Im thinking of using the Airfix GR3 for the LRMTS, and slice the cockpit section straight down the centre and add a 4mm plug. Watch this space?

Once upon a long time ago I converted Airfix's GR3 into a T8, using plastic card and milliput, plus crash moulded canopy's it was on ARC at the time, you may have seen it then. i still have it somewhere, stripped down ready for a refurb...I doubt I'll finish it off now, with Kinetic's is due.

• Like 1

Ive decided to fit air intake covers and these are what Im aiming to copy....

10HarrierGR3XV7481Sdnrt.jpg

Plastic card comes to the rescue once more............

100_2841.jpg

To replicate the metal bar running the length of it, I opted for some metal tubing......

100_2843.jpg

Which I then flattened.................

100_2844.jpg

Prior to painting, it ended up like so............

100_2845.jpg

• Like 1

Nice going, bloomin fast work too.

But stoppit, its making me want one.

ps - Whats with the rather extended nose wheel?

Edited by RMP2