1/72 Airfix P-51D Mustang "Daddy's Girl"

I've just finished my latest model of a P-51D of the 359th FG.

I have seen hardly any 1/72 (or any scale for that matter) depictions of Ray S. Wetmore's "Daddy's Girl" Mustang, depite being the

aircraft of the leading ace of the 359th FG, as well as one of the highest scoring American aces in Europe! It also wears some pleasing

colours on the nose and rudder.

This is the best picture I have of the subject, and I found 3 more b&w pictures, as well as a WWII colour photo of the plane before bearing

the "Daddy's Girl" writing.

47e96d4b35ed40cec27e01f501b6d867_zpsootq

To build the model I have used the new tool Airfix kit, with decals from the old tool P-51D Daddy's Girl Mustang starter set.

I've used the cockpit, seatbelts and part of the landing gear suspension mechanism of a Smer P-51 kit and then I scratch built

the rear view mirror. So...not really an OOB build. I've appropriately filled the panel lines on the upper and lower surfaces

of the main wings, which I think gives it a more realistic look, although the other panel lines are very deep, as I am sure many

a modeller have complained about before me.

Another thing about the Airfix new tool kit that is pretty annoying is the aerial mast. It's not clean at all and covered in flash

and very flimsy. I broke one in the process of seperating it from the sprue. I had a spare, but this one also broke - even though

I was super careful - when I slipped while sanding it smooth. I ended up using the mast from the old tool Airfix kit.

Although I don't think this plane was ever very dirty (maybe after a sortie, but kept pretty clean otherwise), I have made use of dry pastels,

oils and dry brushing to emulate a plane that isn't super clean. Initially I thought I overdid it, but I think the end result is acceptable.

Something I only realised when I was almost finished is the kill markings decal for the port side of the canopy is marked with crosses, and not

swastikas like the real subject! I really hope this does not detract too much off the end result...

Anyway, enough talk. Please look at the pictures below, and I hope you can enjoy it.

Cheers

J

100_1794i_zpsmzk8gede.jpg

100_1816i_zpsqovyyrmo.jpg

100_1809i_zps5td5mlkv.jpg

DSC_0103i_zpsmngcr4va.jpg

DSC_0109i_zpsgibbofxq.jpg

DSC_0089i_zpscrcpqkug.jpg

• Like 26

Very neat Mustang!

I especially appreciate the puttied and painted wings – all too often you see P-51 wing panel lines enthusiastically but misguidedly filled with black wash. ;-)

Have to agree with FalkeEins' remarks about the stance of the machine, though.

Great job!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

very nice build and finish!

a little distraction for me, perhaps the main gear could have been angled forward a touch - as per your B&W photo.

Thanks FalkeEins, one of a number of "little mistakes" on this build. Unfortunately by the time I noticed it the glue had already dried, and I'm scared they will break if I force them now forward now.

So I guess I'll just chalk it up this time and make sure I get everything right next time.

• Like 1

Hello,JimmyZ - My compliments to you on a fine looking build of your 'Mustang'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work.Your chosen scheme and display make a splendid tribute indeed.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hello,JimmyZ - My compliments to you on a fine looking build of your 'Mustang'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work.Your chosen scheme and display make a splendid tribute indeed.All the best,Paul.

Thank you kind Sir!

I see - days of "Mustangs" on britmodeller continues! It is gorgeous! Therefore, they are called "The flying Cadillacs"))).

With all due respect to the Airfix - still I believe that the Mustang from Tamiya made more clearly. Anyway, Tamiya not makes such deep panel lines.

As for your model, it seems to me, that the picture of the cockpit a bit dissonant with the generally high level of performance. Perhaps - was to blame the camera flash.

• Like 1

I see - days of "Mustangs" on britmodeller continues! It is gorgeous! Therefore, they are called "The flying Cadillacs"))).
With all due respect to the Airfix - still I believe that the Mustang from Tamiya made more clearly. Anyway, Tamiya not makes such deep panel lines.
As for your model, it seems to me, that the picture of the cockpit a bit dissonant with the generally high level of performance. Perhaps - was to blame the camera flash.
Absolutely. I asure you the cockpit looks much better in life than in the photo I posted :) I cannot seem to make the up-close photos look good with a cellphone camera.
I have not built the Tamiya P-51D yet, can't exactly get my hands on it. I like the Airfix kit (I have a few more in stash),
but it does have it's flaws - deep panel lines, an unacceptably dirty aerial mast and I'm not sure if this is correct, but
Airfix give a different port and starboard droptank (starboard droptank is mirror of port one). Perhaps someone can confirm
if this is correct. I couldn't find any WWII photos showing this, so I ended up using another "port side" droptank I had in spare.
The above said, however at the price of the Airfix kit, it's simply superb.
Thanks Fuad. I have seen your Mustang you just finished, mine is nowhere near that level! Congrats.
  • Like 1