771 NAS- Has it now disbanded following the end of the SAR task?

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

Has 771 NAS disbanded now that the SAR tasking has been civilianised or is it still operating as a Sea King conversion unit and general duties unit? I hope that it is still operational!

Cheers

Tony

I've just asked my son who is stationed at Culdrose. He will find out tomorrow for sure (if he remembers) Joe.

Hello Tony, I think it will be disbanded in January 2016

Thanks for that,.....what a shame but I thought that it wouldn`t survive. I was hoping that it might live on as a Sea King conversion unit for the Baggy and those Junglie units still flying the Sea King HC.4, especially while the latter wind down and convert onto Merlin.

Cheers

Tony.

PS- Sorry the extra replies came in while I was typing,.....cheers for the additional info Evalman and I appreciate you asking your lad Joe

PPS- I wonder if the RAF`s 22 & 202 Sqn`s will ever be reformed at some stage in a different role? Its a shame that the ex naval 200 series sqns are almost gone now.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

It's such a shame to loose all that skill and experience. I was lucky enough to get a flight with them earlier this year at their Families Day.

Yes it's an end of an era, but I think you might want to think about the crews who will be flying civilian SAR before commenting. They are fantastically skilled aircrew, of whom many are ex military anyhow. The new machines, are by far a superior airframe, which to date, hasn't yet been proven to the degree the mighty seaking was, but they will.

I believe they hand over to Bristows on the 31st December, but 771 is not due to disband until March 2016.

Evalman got it bang on. I was wrong with the January date.

Will 'they' go in harms way under fire if so asked / ordered?

As civilians employed by a civilian company, flying a civilian helicopter under the direction of a civilian organisation, I don't expect the situation is ever likely to arise. And as they are operating in the UK, if they have to go anywhere under fire, all bets are off and we're all in the brown stuff.

Nigel,

The new SAR does not and will not have the remit to go in harm's way and in the UK it's not going to happen.

As for 771 ( the inferior SAR,obs 772 was better!!!)it will carry on till march next year.

By the way we still have yellow fleet in the Falklands till next year.

• Like 1

Cheers for that, I was wondering what was going to happen in the Falklands when it came to SAR as it didn`t seem to be economic to retain SAR Sea Kings down south for long after they were withdrawn in the UK. I didn`t know whether Bristow`s were taking over or whether the RAF would deploy something like a Puma or two to maintain cover instead.

Tony

Yes it's an end of an era, but I think you might want to think about the crews who will be flying civilian SAR before commenting. They are fantastically skilled aircrew, of whom many are ex military anyhow. The new machines, are by far a superior airframe, which to date, hasn't yet been proven to the degree the mighty seaking was, but they will.

Problem is that as soon as the flow of ex military SAR crew dries up the contract gets a whole load more expensive on renewal as they will need to fund and/or train crews, which for the current incumbents has all been done by the military. This is the kind of flaw I see in these PFI and similar type contracts.

Edited by Agent K
  • Like 2

Nigel,

The new SAR does not and will not have the remit to go in harm's way and in the UK it's not going to happen.

As for 771 ( the inferior SAR,obs 772 was better!!!)it will carry on till march next year.

By the way we still have yellow fleet in the Falklands till next year.

The latest edition of Air Forces Monthly contains an article on 845 NAS' Merlin HC3 helicopters training in California which refers to the aircraft being used to perform Joint Personnel Recovery (UK parlance for Combat Search And Rescue) operations so UK forces will still have a CSAR capability.

Problem is that as soon as the flow of ex military SAR crew dries up the contract gets a whole load more expensive on renewal as they will need to fund and/or train crews, which for the current incumbents has all been done by the military. This is the kind of flaw I see in these PFI and similar type contracts.

Very good point well made - I suppose by extension the Police and Air Ambulance providers may face a similar challenge in the future.

Not so much; although pilots and groundcrew are provided by the helicopter operating company, police and ambulance helicopters are crewed primarily by staff employed directly by the police or health authority (police officers, paramedics, doctors etc).

Indeed not - I think I read somewhere (possibly on PPrune) that Police and Air Ambulance tends to attract more Army pilots than RAF and RN....

I think you may be correct - Police and Air Ambulance operations probably require a slightly different skill set, for instance operating from confined areas, which would not necessarily be covered during civilian helicopter training.

My original comments were in no way intended to slight the civilian SAR crews of whom a lot are ex military and who do a fine job.

However those who know anything about the military and UK military in particular they are more flexable, deployable and more capable than any civilian contract, the contract is the issue, not the men and women, who are all I am sure dedicated.

Military SAR originally came out of the need created during the BoB to rescue pilots from the English Channel. In harms way, only as it developed during the 50's and 60's did it move towards serving mainly civil needs.

There are two main issues;

If the military do not train them to the high standards that they do, who will in future, where will the next generation come from?

If there is ever need of the original requirement, the military will not be as practiced, the civilians will not be contractuallly obliged to go in harms way.

I would be interested to know what the civilian contract says about participation in a terrorist incident, With the RN and RAF we were sure. That is today, not some future maybe.

Nigel