Tamiya 1/32nd De Havilland Mosquito

I made the bomb bay gun that comes in the kit - the Eduard one is in the model...

IMG_7417-S.jpg

IMG_7422-S.jpg

IMG_7424-S.jpg

Canopy - multi-level this one - after masking, you spray the interior colour on the outside, so it shows through, then the outer colour over the top of that! Throw some PE inside as well, and it looks amazing - with an interior framework also built onto the model...

Tamiya supplies masks, but not die-cut which is a pain - Eduard do...

IMG_7427-L.jpg

IMG_7430-L.jpg

IMG_7431-L.jpg

I used the tamiya ones to fill in the centers left by the Eduard ones - if that makes sense!

IMG_7432-L.jpg

'Inner' color - cockpit green...

IMG_7433-L.jpg

Followed by outer colour...

IMG_7435-L.jpg

IMG_7436-L.jpg

Some of the camo green goes over the cockpit...making sure it lines up!

IMG_7438-L.jpg

IMG_7439-L.jpg

Had to weather the visible strips!

IMG_7440-L.jpg

IMG_7441-L.jpg

IMG_7442-L.jpg

Slight seeping removed with Windex on an cotton bud...

IMG_7446-L.jpg

IMG_7447-L.jpg

IMG_7448-L.jpg

Now the frame...

IMG_7449-L.jpg

IMG_7451-L.jpg

IMG_7453-L.jpg

Dipped into Future/Pledge to clean off the canopy - worked a treat...

IMG_7481-L.jpg

IMG_7483-L.jpg

Eduard extra PE set has a nice frame for inside the canopy...

IMG_7415-S.jpg

IMG_7483-L.jpg

IMG_7416-S.jpg

Tiny PE parts within...

IMG_7491-L.jpg

Dry decal on the top (with film on in this shot)

IMG_7493-L.jpg

Just placed in to position, so not seated properly...

IMG_7508-L.jpg

IMG_7509-L.jpg

IMG_7510-L.jpg

IMG_7515-L.jpg

Right - bit of a break now - I'm relocating back to the UK, so all this has to be packed up for a few weeks - no idea how - then I can finish and photograph properly - so close to the finish as well!!

Back soon....!

cheers

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

About time I updated this thread! 

Amazingly - I've finished the model! I can't wait to be settled enough to set up a proper 'permanent' man-cave modelling table, but right now I am still semi-permanent, so modelling has taken a back seat for a while - but I HAD to finish this beauty, as I was so close...I did sneak the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire build in, which I built for a friend - I already posted that on here.

I'll carry on and update the build process first..

• Like 2

Used up my quota of 'likes' on this epic build!

Really looking forward to seeing the finished article, but roll on with the build blog please!

Alan

So, where was I - the Mossie made it back from New York ok, but has been sat waiting for the final touches - fitting the canopy, tail fin, exhausts, props & final weathering touch ups etc....and some crew! I'd left it too late to add any crew into the cockpit (I wanted everything visible and not blocked - of course, once closed up you can't see anything anyway) - but there is a pilot posed to climb the ladder into the cockpit, so I may well use him. Never having painted any figures, I painted all of them while I did the 1/24 Spit pilot.

IMG_4372.jpg

IMG_4376.jpg

IMG_4381.jpg

IMG_4383.jpg

IMG_4392.jpg

IMG_4393.jpg

IMG_4396.jpg

First layers of colour...now adding some depth. Gloss will be removed at the end (matt)

IMG_4400.jpg

IMG_4748.jpg

At this point I took some new shots in the photo cube...just testing!

IMG_6653.jpg

IMG_6657.jpg

P1080779.jpg

Engines have no detail paint at this point - or exhausts...

P1080807.jpg

P1080820.jpg

Also got a few shots of things that will soon disappear!

P1080812.jpg

P1080803.jpg

P1080819.jpg

P1080848.jpg

P1080844.jpg

P1080840.jpg

• Like 2

I added a bit of shadow to the canopy...

edited-image.png

IMG_7688.jpg

IMG_7689.jpg

IMG_7690.jpg

...although I seem to have not taken any pictures of that!

I bought one of those plywood frames to hold the plane while I work on it - a bit flimsy, but I recommend it - saves damage from fingers etc, especially when working on the underside. At this point I was touching up chips etc where paint had fallen off some PE bits...

IMG_7694.jpg

IMG_7696.jpg

IMG_7709.jpg

It can be adjusted for different sized models...

Props were next - I had left them as I did not want to damage them. Although I painted and 'weathered' the hubs, they won't be seen (of course!)

IMG_7700.jpg

IMG_7699.jpg

I did add some 'chips' to the leading edges of the blades, and add some 'streaks' - but kept it quite subtle.

IMG_7703.jpg

IMG_7706.jpg

Next it was the exhausts. I used some of that 'buffing' Humbrol paint which I had from years ago, oils and some rust 'powder' - no real planned combination, but it came out ok!

IMG_7704.jpg

IMG_7705.jpg

IMG_7708.jpg

...again, some of the shine was taken back later.

Almost forgot the mesh guards that are on the air intakes!

IMG_7712.jpg

IMG_7713.jpg

I used graphite pencils and some wash to add depth to the engine that would be on display...this is a 'finished' shot...

IMG_7739.jpg

I had to tweak the multi-part canopy a bit to help it fit - the internal frame was a little high and was stopping the clear bit from fitting easily, so I had pried it off the model, and shaved a tiny bit off the frame so it sat a fraction lower - then I glued the canopy itself on with white glue.

IMG_7710.jpg

And that was pretty much it!

IMG_7715.jpg

IMG_7716.jpg

IMG_7717.jpg

I took lots of 'finished' photos (which I'll post in the 'finished' section!) and only after taking these did I realize I had missed off one part - the windscreen wiper!! (now added)

Now I just have to figure out how to display/mount it. I like the idea of keeping it clean, but it needs something, so maybe a grassy base....then what - I don't know! No where to display, and the joy was in the building for me, so maybe sell it? But then again I like the idea of displaying it with the 1/32nd Lancaster (HUGE) and a 1/32nd Spitfire and Hurricane!

Finished photos next...

• Like 9

I seem to remember someone displaying model aircraft by flipping them through 90 degrees - I.e with the wheels on the wall like a picture. Odd though it sounds, it looked remarkably effective, takes up much less usable space and provides some natural protection. Worth a thought?

I like the grass apron idea too, btw. If up to the gobsmacking standard of everything else you build, it's highly unlikely to look like a fake grass carpet. 😁. Only down side I can think is that it would be hard to work some mirror glass drip trays underneath the aircraft to help show off the detail in such a scene. Alternative is the ubiquitous concrete apron.

Cheers Kirk - that is very kind....wall mounting vertically makes a lot of sense - I have also seen something like that on FB recently - it works for F1 cars as well (full size!)

Some of the 'grass' mats you can get now look incredible, but aimed at 'tank' size models, so maybe  a combination of grass-next-to-runway might work...

I have the 'spare' Merlin engines (one Tamiya, one Eduard) to build up, along with the Tamiya gun that didn't get used - I'd like to make them up as well to display - a few options!

If the Mossie was 'in flight' I'd do what I did with the Spitfire, which I was really pleased with - base part of a cheap IKEA LED light....

IMG_6177.jpg

• Like 1