Tamiya 1/32nd De Havilland Mosquito

Nothing special - just put 'metallic' pens into Amazon or ebay. You get sets of 10 or so for less than $5 - I have got a few sets as each have slightly different tips, or shades....some are 'softer', some are more 'pointy' or more 'silver'...but so easy to use for detail stuff - and quicker and cleaner as well.

If you haven't tried them, those 'Molotiv' (spelling!) silver pens are also incredible for chrome....

IMG_3900-L.jpg

IMG_6936-L.jpg

IMG_6941-L.jpg

IMG_5737-L.jpg

• Like 2

Few more updates - the sub assemblies are getting bigger now!

Some more PE parts found in the Eduard set - various panel details...

IMG_5713-L.jpg

IMG_5723-L.jpg

IMG_5724-L.jpg

IMG_5725-L.jpg

IMG_5735-L.jpg

IMG_5736-L.jpg

IMG_5748-L.jpg

IMG_5726-L.jpg

IMG_5728-L.jpg

Tonal work with oils - I had mixed the colour, but needed it with more red so used red oil paint brushed over.

IMG_5729-L.jpg

In hind-sight I was about to try some of those 'dry' decals on these two tanks....I should have done that before I used any oils or panel wash on the parts, as there was some reaction with various fluids.

The decals I am talking about are the ones that you 'soak' on to the model for a few hours, and then you can totally remove the clear support layer that you can often see (silvering etc) -

Attaching PE straps...

IMG_5740-L.jpg

These are the decals - in these shots I am trying to show the very very thin clear layer that I am very carefully peeling off - biggest pain is actually finding the 'edge' to peel without scratching the paint...because I had already applied oil, the clear film removed some of this 'weathering' - so defeating the object of the exercise, but as these parts are well hidden, I'll live with it and learn!

IMG_5751-L.jpg

IMG_5753-L.jpg

Similarly, some of the decals cracked and peeled off - it's fine, the parts are well worn!!

IMG_5754-L.jpg

IMG_5758-L.jpg

You can clearly see the decal carrier lifting off the oil finish I had applied - should have done decals first...

IMG_5759-L.jpg

Wing taking shape - screws hold the ends to the central section - it is super stiff and very even and well-fitting...

IMG_5760-L.jpg

IMG_5732-L.jpg

IMG_5737-L.jpg

Magnets are used to hold some of the very thin panel in place...

IMG_5738-L.jpg

IMG_5762-L.jpg

Couldn't resist...

IMG_5764-L.jpg

IMG_5767-L.jpg

IMG_5769-L.jpg

IMG_5771-L.jpg

Nothing actually attached yet...

One of the biggest learning curves is knowing at what point to paint something - before assembly or after - you kinda have to imagine how complicated any masking is going to be!!

IMG_5771-L.jpg

IMG_5801-L.jpg

IMG_5802-L.jpg

More tiny straps - 3 parts!

IMG_5807-L.jpg

IMG_5809-L.jpg

Wing top panels going on - again, a precision fit...

IMG_5814-L.jpg

IMG_5816-L.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Gradually getting through the many parts!

This is a wing insert, and I'm showing how I get the 'oily/grubby' look, which is all new to me - so learning!

I had sprayed the part with alclad aluminium and I have now brushed on an oil paint wash. I have already found that it gives more control than the Tamiya panel wash - which is much thinner and great for picking out....panel lines!

IMG_5847-L.jpg

I then use a cotton bud to wipe off the excess (obviously access is important here) and I quite like the finish it gives - it takes the shine of the ali finish (used/in service) and picks out details nicely.

IMG_5847-L.jpg

IMG_5849-L.jpg

IMG_5850-L.jpg

And in situ...

IMG_5853-L.jpg

Next bit of weathering learning was the wheels - I wanted the muddy look so tried my hand at using some pigments - I had bought some MIG products - scraped pastel would also work I am sure...

IMG_6236-L.jpg

Brush with some water, dab on...

IMG_6240-L.jpg

It dries to dust, and I clumped it a bit around the 'bottom' of the tyre (where a flat spot is already moulded) - you can see 'dabs' here on the side wall, which I removed as I went - first time I have used the pigments. But pleased with the results - filled the tyre tread and then cleaned off the top surface.

IMG_6238-L.jpg

It dries to dust very quickly, and of course it rubs off, so I 'sealed' with some matt finish spray...

IMG_6244-L.jpg

It looked like I had lost the effect, but as soon as it dried it came back...

IMG_6245-L.jpg

IMG_6246-L.jpg

IMG_6250-L.jpg

IMG_6247-L.jpg

• Like 8

A few 'general' pictures as I pretend to join the parts together - nothing fixed, just trying them out...

IMG_6279-L.jpg

IMG_6281-L.jpg

IMG_6283-L.jpg

IMG_6284-L.jpg

I think I'm going t have to fit some internal lights!!

IMG_6286-L.jpg

IMG_6288-L.jpg

IMG_6289-L.jpg

IMG_6292-L.jpg

IMG_6293-L.jpg

IMG_6296-L.jpg

At least the plane has a large cockpit glass....

IMG_6297-L.jpg

IMG_6298-L.jpg

IMG_6299-L.jpg

IMG_6300-L.jpg

IMG_6304-L.jpg

IMG_6305-L.jpg

IMG_6306-L.jpg

Testament to the Tamiya kit and the Eduard Merlin extra parts - all the pipes will line up perfectly when I come round to fixing everything together...

IMG_6308-L.jpg

I certainly need to do some work on the top of the engines - looking very bland here, but yet to pick out the various leads etc...

IMG_6309-L.jpg

IMG_6310-L.jpg

IMG_6311-L.jpg

IMG_6313-L.jpg

IMG_6316-L.jpg

IMG_6317-L.jpg

IMG_6320-L.jpg

IMG_6322-L.jpg

IMG_6332-L.jpg

IMG_6323-L.jpg

Tonights job - having a bit of a tidy!!

IMG_6327-L.jpg

• Like 10

Small update. I'm this close to closing up the fuselage and losing all that lovely detail -have sent my light box back to the UK, so still figuring out best way to get some good pics before I commit...

Here are some detail pics - anything PE in these shots is the PE set from Eduard. As I am using their kits for the guns and engines, I have the Tamiya kit ones as 'extras' so I am building those anyway - either to display or compare. So the front gun ammo boxes below are the Tamiya kit versions, with extra Eduard PE added (the bronze colour bits) if that makes sense.

Right now the decision to be made is when to paint the camo green onto the model - I'd like to paint the wings now, before they have engines fitted and before they are joined to the fuselage - and also paint the fuselage before everything is joined together, but wondering if it is best to assemble everything first...

Paint has gone on well so far - I think this is the primer - Tamiya Fine Surface Primer from a can. I am also using Tamiya enamel sprays for the top coats, as recommended in the kit.

IMG_6341-L.jpg

Tidying didn't happen...

IMG_6343-L.jpg

I want to paint this as is, rather than assembled onto the fuselage....

IMG_6345-L.jpg

Tamiya kit gun ammo boxes - with Eduard PE parts added - note the straight chains...

IMG_6350-L.jpg

IMG_6351-L.jpg

Same chains bent into loops...

IMG_6352-L.jpg

Nice mudguard PE gives a more realistic scale thickness than the plastic version in the kit - but once again, the kit one is still pretty damn good.

IMG_6355-L.jpg

IMG_6360-L.jpg

Front hatch with PE added (I had sprayed 'anything green' when I first started, so some will require spraying again as I add parts - as I said, first time!!)

IMG_6363-L.jpg

Not fixed yet...

IMG_6371-L.jpg

IMG_6372-L.jpg

Oil paint finish...

IMG_6364-L.jpg

Some more detail shots of little bits - tail wheel, radios etc...

IMG_6365-L.jpg

IMG_6366-L.jpg

IMG_6367-L.jpg

Pre-muck. Love the shape of that casting...

IMG_6369-L.jpg

Seriously considering lighting the interior!!

IMG_6375-L.jpg

IMG_6377-L.jpg

IMG_6379-L.jpg

IMG_6381-L.jpg

IMG_6380-L.jpg

IMG_6378-L.jpg

• Like 4

Time to get some colour going...

Thought I'd try this on the smaller part - the tail plane!

Trying the 'rolled up blu-tac' method of getting a soft line. I thought about freehand airbrush, but maybe next time...

IMG_6418-L.jpg

IMG_6419-L.jpg

I really should try these things out on scraps etc - but I seem to be impatient!

IMG_6421-L.jpg

Well that was easy! Dark Green Tamiya from a can. Seems very 'rich'...

IMG_6422-L.jpg

Quite happy with the result - a little bit fuzzy near the edges, but I think that is ok. A bit 'dotty'..

IMG_6424-L.jpg

IMG_6426-L.jpg

So these are the 'wet' decals I am trying. No carrier film left behind, so look better apparently. Learning from error on the tanks under the fuselage where I added the decal after I had used some oil paint, which was affected by the process.

Using Mr Mark Setter as recommended by the manufacturer (HGW) - You apply as normal, but leave to set and dry for a good few hours - over night is best, then you peel off the top film.

IMG_6448-L.jpg

IMG_6449-L.jpg

You can see the top film as it all dries - this will be peeled off....

IMG_6450-L.jpg

Like so....

IMG_6451-L.jpg

Left with film, right without...

IMG_6452-L.jpg

IMG_6453-L.jpg

It works well - there was still a little residue around where the film had been, and marks caused by the Mr Mark setter - I cleaned this off with warm water and cotton bud, but it has not entirely gone. Luckily, when I then applied some tamiya clear the marks seemed to go...

So now to the wings - I was showing these with the flaps in the down position (Tamiya gives you the option, and different parts are used for up/down) but I don't like that big slot  (however accurate) and prefer the purity of line with them up - so  last minute change led me to gluing the flaps up/level.

IMG_6446-L.jpg

IMG_6445-L.jpg

IMG_6444-L.jpg

I have also sprayed the panels and cowlings that join onto the top surface of the wing structure, so I can add the green camo in the same way as above...

The fuselage also needs priming and painting - so have attached a few of the parts. I am gluing the nose cone on, but the hatch over the gun is removable, the cockpit hatch removable as well - but I placed these in position to spray to ensure an even finish (and even camo pattern)

I am pretty impressed with how well all these panels as the front come together with minimal gaps, I have to say.

IMG_6443-L.jpg

IMG_6441-L.jpg

IMG_6459-L.jpg

IMG_6461-L.jpg

IMG_6466-L.jpg

IMG_6467-L.jpg

IMG_6468-L.jpg

And then the most annoying thing - primed the fuselage, and then painted the top coat - can ran out - just at the start of a holiday period. Won't get another until about Wednesday! I wanted to paint and finish the fuselage this weekend, but not now...oh well, plenty of other bits to build. Like the starboard engine!

• Like 2

So while waiting for the spray can to arrive, I started work on the wing. The 'blu tac' thing worked, but I rolled slightly thinner pieces to get a slightly finer shade-line at the edges.

2017113017394449-IMG_6472-L.jpg

I taped the separate engine cover panel and rear section in to place, where they also had the camo touching them, so everything lined up.

2017113017394449-IMG_6475-L.jpg

Success!

2017113017394449-IMG_6476-L.jpg

2017113017394449-IMG_6477-L.jpg

These panels are just in place for spraying the green...

IMG_6482-L.jpg

IMG_6479-L.jpg

IMG_6480-L.jpg

IMG_6485-L.jpg

Now it was time to put the decals on the wing. I used the HGW wet decals again...

IMG_6493-L.jpg

The blue sheet are the wet decals - the white sheet is the Tamiya one. At least it meant I had spares!

IMG_6494-L.jpg

IMG_6495-L.jpg

Had issues here with the normal tamiya decals, which I needed to use for the roundels. I was getting spots on the decal - seems I just needed to not let drops settle, as it was marking the decal. Someone said that I was using the wrong decal solution for Tamiya decals, someone else said use My Mark setter, which I did....luckily later application of clear seemed to disguise the marks....these were NOT air bubbles (as everyone on the forum insisted!)

IMG_6511-L.jpg

IMG_6513-L.jpg

IMG_6515-L.jpg

IMG_6519-L.jpg

IMG_6520-L.jpg

IMG_6525-L.jpg

IMG_6516-L.jpg

Annoyingly, this was the one wet decal from HGW that I did not use - the one with the largest area of clear carrier on the normal decals. The HGW one was misaligned on the sheet, with the white under the red showing slightly - and worse, it was slightly wide and smudged, so it hung over the edge. So in this picture you see the kit-supplied tamiya decal. This set with no problems - phew, again!

IMG_6526-L.jpg

So some of you may have noticed that I did not do any pre-shading on these surfaces. Two reasons - I didn't want to use the airbrush to do this , but rather wanted to use the oil paint method on top of the paint instead. It gave me more chances (you can wipe off and start again) and freedom. Secondly, with a mainly wooden construction there are few areas with visible ribs underneath the skin.

I figured I'd try the smallest part first - the tail plane. Deep breath, and cover the whole lot with very thinned black oil paint - ooh, after first spraying some clear - I used tamiya from a can.

IMG_6544-L.jpg

IMG_E6547-L.jpg

....and then simply wipe off. I made sure to wipe in the direction of the airflow, so any marks would be 'streaks'...

Now this is all very subjective, and over the next few hours I changed methods, learnt and developed - so the order of events got a bit mixed up. I used panel gap black to highlight areas, but i was then wiping this back out again as I worked the oil, so I need to tweak my methods going forward - but using the always-wet oil gave me the ability to 'play' and learn.

NOTE: my Mosquito is grubby and oily, so the back worked well - but any excess is easily removed with (odor-less) thinners.

IMG_6549-L.jpg

Oiled on the left...

IMG_6546-L.jpg

IMG_6550-L.jpg

Pretty chuffed with first attempt! You need to be REALLY careful about finger prints, as the oil paint is never 'dry' so marks - but you can brush them out with a soft dry brush, re-apply oil etc etc

IMG_6559-L.jpg

IMG_6560-L.jpg

Then it was the top surface - same process...

IMG_6561-L.jpg

To 'fix' the finish I used 'flat' tamiya clear from the can. I tried something else first, but was not happy with how it went on - it was 'rough' and will be a bugger to get off and try again - I used the fin for that (later)

IMG_6602-L.jpg

Was VERY pleased with how this looked once dry...

IMG_6603-L.jpg

On the pic above you can see my oil ribbing shading - more detail on that in the wing pictures...but basically I did this...

IMG_6613-L.jpg

...and wiped off, dry brushed, experimented etc - and removed some oil paint 'between' the rivet lines to lighten the shade....I lucked out for the first attempt :)

IMG_6605-L.jpg

IMG_6607-L.jpg

Very similar method on the fin - I even tried lightening the grey between the ribs with white oil, and it does work...

IMG_6570-L.jpg

IMG_6570-L.jpg

I cocked this part up with a different flat varnish - hopefully I can remove without damaging the decals. (not shown here)

So - I had my method - now it was the wings...much bigger! I did each side, top and bottom surface, separately...so I had somewhere to hold!

Scary moment...

IMG_6614-L.jpg

IMG_6551-L.jpg

And wiped....

IMG_6582-L.jpg

IMG_6583-L.jpg

I highlighted rivets and brushed gently  - always thinking of airflow...

IMG_6572-L.jpg

IMG_6583-L.jpg

...and again highlighted any ribs or rivets on the metal control surfaces.

IMG_6575-L.jpg

IMG_6576-L.jpg

IMG_6577-L.jpg

IMG_6580-L.jpg

IMG_6582-L.jpg

Very slight mottling caused by flat clear application - but in reality this is a close zoom - don't see it really.

IMG_6608-L.jpg

Example of thinking about airflow - this streak around the curved top surface was blended in to give a hint of exhaust and rubbish coming back from the prop...

IMG_6618-L.jpg

IMG_6619-L.jpg

Ribs below the rivet lines...

IMG_6616-L.jpg

IMG_6620-L.jpg

IMG_6622-L.jpg

IMG_6623-L.jpg

Finished on the right...

IMG_6626-L.jpg

...now left!

IMG_6631-L.jpg

Daylight!

IMG_6633-L.jpg

Just got to make the other side look the same now!

• Like 8

Spray can arrived, so it was on with getting the camo sorted on the fuselage - that was holding me up!

I popped the half-weathered wings in place so I could line up the camo, and proceeded with the blue-tac method again....

IMG_6655-L.jpg

IMG_6656-L.jpg

IMG_6657-L.jpg

IMG_6658-L.jpg

IMG_6660-L.jpg

I admit I rushed this a bit so I could let everything set over night, so a tiny bit of over-spray - but that will 't-cut out' :)

IMG_6662-L.jpg

IMG_6663-L.jpg

I like the finish that  the tamiya flat clear has given the model...you can see the difference in the green particularly...

IMG_6664-L.jpg

IMG_6665-L.jpg

IMG_6669-L.jpg

IMG_6670-L.jpg

Couldn't resist adding various bits....

IMG_6671-L.jpg

IMG_6674-L.jpg

Hoping to get quite a bit done this weekend....got to apply all the decals to the fuselage, weather the left port wing and fuselage and assemble the bits.

Small matter of building another Merlin engine as well....

Getting excited for how this is turning out....

• Like 6

Fuselage...applied all the smaller wet decals, now it was the 'normal' the big decals from the kit...

IMG_6709-L.jpg

IMG_6710-L.jpg

IMG_6896-L.jpg

Once the decals were on and sealed, it was time to weather - I used the same method I had used with the wings etc - flood with diluted oils and wipe off - was a bit nervous about that bit, as the streaks would all have to be 'in line' with the airflow - the wings were easy as it was simply 'front to back', but the fuselage is a bit more 3D...once I had figured out how to hold it without touching anywhere, it went surprisingly easily. I am aware this only works for a grubby plane! Sealed with matt clear and I'm pleased. I will now do a bit more work locally' once more is assembled (nothing is fixed in these pictures)

IMG_6897-L.jpg

IMG_6898-L.jpg

IMG_6901-L.jpg

IMG_6902-L.jpg

IMG_6904-L.jpg

IMG_6905-L.jpg

IMG_6907-L.jpg

IMG_6908-L.jpg

IMG_6903-S.jpg

• Like 8

It seem strange seeing a model being painted when the wings aren't attached to the fuselage.

She's is coming along beautifully though. Love the washes and the nice smooth paint job, very inspiring to watch! :goodjob:

Regards

Joss

Thanks Joss - I think there is a few reasons I did it like that, and it is specific to this model, and also to the fact that it is my first plane (ie: learning) and one of the things that is certainly a skill is figuring out when the best time to paint the various parts is....before assembly, sub-assembly etc...

1) The design of the Mosquito....the main wing section is one large part in 'real life' - as opposed to two separate wings that join into the fuselage. So it is one nice big assembly to work on. Because of this, the join between the fuselage and wing is pretty 'hard' - ie, 90 degrees with no 'blending' as you would see on a Spitfire, for example. This makes it a 'real' join line, so you can paint separately and join later and it does not matter if you see a slight join....although this is helped by the second point...

2) The accuracy of the kit is amazing - so this particular joint is very very sharp - therefore no filing or sanding required (which would have to be done before painting)

3) As this is my first plane/camo/weathering model, I was concerned about painting the fuselage and wings joined....easier to  paint and weather then wings as one big flat - and the fuselage as one tube...if that makes sense!

I thing when I try future planes (1:48 Spitifire next) I will have to paint everything joined....

Think that makes sense!! cheers

• Like 1