1/72 Airfix Hawker Thypoon IB "Canadian 143. Wing"

Hello and thanks for your interest!

This is my latest model, the 1/72 Airfix Hawker Typhoon, dressed as "F-3A 'Diane'", serial number MN716, flown by Pilot Officer R.G. Fox in November 1944.

The model was built from the box, the only addition was photo-etch seatbelts from CMK.

Decals are from the Aviaeology sheet "RCAF Hawker Typhoon Mk.IB 1944 to Bodenplatte" (https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AOD72008).

The Squadrons covered are No 438, 439 and 440 Sqns during 1944 through to operation Bodenplatte.

The series covers nine different subject aircraft including one car door version and eight bubble canopy versions.

Aviaeology include an exclusive on the two sizes of the early “type B” upper wing roundels.

Aviaelogy supply far more than your average aftermarket decal sheet, in fact it is a multi-page b/w booklet with background info and b/w pictures of some of the aircraft featured.

A colour PDF version of the colour scheme is available for free though registering on the Aviaeology Web Site.

The decals are of highest quality and perform flawlessly.

However I did manage to break up the correct "F3" codes for this particular machine by mishandling them; I had to fall back to another "F3" code that has a slightly different font.

I guess you would not have noticed unless you're an expert on 2.TAF aircraft (or you work for Aviaeology).

Former squadron codes ("5V") were overpainted; I copied this by spraying the "5V" codes with dark grey through a paper mask before applying the "F3" codes over it.

If you look closely, you will notice that the "F3" codes look brighter then the code letter "A" - this is intentional as I believe only the "5V/F3" code was changed.

I tried to replicate the tatty appearance of the invasion stripes on the lower fuselage.

The model was painted with Gunze acrylics.

Photographs by Wolfgang Rabel, IGM Cars & Bikes.

a_DSC6791_zpsallmne81.jpg

a_DSC6793_zpslru3nmwu.jpg

a_DSC6794_zpssaxyaw1g.jpg

a_DSC6795_zpszsn3wbv5.jpga_DSC6796_zpste1mwtyf.jpga_DSC6797_zps5gxcs80c.jpga_DSC6798_zpsism4vq5r.jpga_DSC6799_zpsm6tdy0pm.jpga_DSC6800_zpsdm3jdfho.jpga_DSC6801_zpsagp2p0ia.jpga_DSC6802_zpsxl3bv9td.jpga_DSC6803_zps5h6cmiea.jpga_DSC6804_zpspahe8sjv.jpga_DSC6805_zpsmrxnnf9x.jpg

a_DSC6806_zpsmtgrnzlj.jpg

a_DSC6809_zpshp6plpef.jpg

a_DSC6810_zpsmqoa77x1.jpg

a_DSC6811_zps3o553ewq.jpg

a_DSC6812_zpsxxjowze1.jpg

a_DSC6814_zpsyiomgxqa.jpg

a_DSC6819_zpsdbawo1da.jpg

a_DSC6821_zpsr3hatws8.jpg

a_DSC6823a_zps41meqp8f.jpg

a_DSC6823b_zpsnmfi25ki.jpg

Edited by Roman Schilhart
  • Like 34

That`s a very nice Canadian `Bombphoon' and I like your choice of decals, I`m going to have to order myself a set of those in 1/72nd scale from Terry at Aviaology! I especially like the way you have weathered the D-Day stripes to replicate the overpainting and shown the previous code too,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot