1/72 Airfix Avro Shackleton MR2/AEW2 hybrid WR963

WV908

Morning all,

WR963 was finished at 1.30AM on Saturday 7th November, with just a few hours to spare before the Telford show. I awoke at half six in the morning to scratch build some new bomb bay jacks and create a packing case ready for the show. Horrible weather in traffic ensued, but we made it with the Shackleton safe and sound to display her on the Coastal command table, with thanks to Tom W.

My apologies for the RFI being a week late, but it's taken a week to get decent enough light for the final photos.

Thanks for looking, I hope some of you got the chance to see her at Telford. I may have her at Cosford and hopefully Telford alongside an RAF B-24 next year.

With thanks to the guys and gals who look after the real WR963 for providing the info on where to cut the bomb doors, without out further ado;

IMG_5281_zpsyvknykxm.jpg

IMG_5278_zpscao6tnxw.jpg

IMG_5279_zps8ordwr4q.jpg

IMG_5281_zpsyvknykxm.jpg

IMG_5282_zpskcbejdil.jpg

IMG_5287_zpstyzrcm8d.jpg

IMG_5288_zps6cjul16w.jpg

IMG_5291_zpshzbojs2v.jpg

IMG_5295_zpstvzdq6qn.jpg

IMG_5298_zpsvkjpnix7.jpg

IMG_5302_zpsuiqpeyl5.jpg

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908
  • Like 29

Great-looking Shack. I have just taken deivery of one from Amazon, so wondered if there are any pit-falls? :goodjob:

Hi Alpha Delta (nice choice of A/C ;) ) The only major pitfalls that I came across were;

Warped wings - Platic is thin so very easy to bend back into shape

Pitting on fuselage sides - Sorted by a bit of filler here and there

Surface detail is sparse and has been rushed - Not really an issue, just needs tidying up and rescribing a tad

Flash on some parts - Just needs cleaning up, but it isn't something we should have to do

Aft fuselage fit - Trim the sides of the interior floor around the crew entry door

Nacelle fit - Needs a bit of filling and sanding around the rear of the main gear bays

Tail wheel assembly - Very delicate, assemble with care

Cockpit canopy is very fiddly - Be careful when attaching the canopy, some filler may be required in the joins. I just dribbled a bit of thick paint in the gap and handpainted my canopy

Bomb aimer's window - This is an absolute joke. It does not even remotely fit. You'll end up taking a file to the transparency and a fresh blade the the fuselage halves, but still requires very careful persuasion to fit.

Despite all of these, it's an enjoyable build.

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 1

Cheers for all of the kind comments,

Yes i did forget to mention that the fit of the wings and tailplane is so good that all of it is a push fit, which makes it very easy to disassemble for transportation.

Now i've proved that I can actually get something finished, i suppose I should get that Halifax, three Lancasters, a Vulcan and a Lightning off the bench before I start that Victor B1A K2P and the B-24 double build. Whoops, did I slip my plans? ;)

Cheers,

WV908

Oh, and there's a blenheim double build and a Lancaster MK.10AR / Lincoln double build somewhere down the road too, and two B29's. Honestly, my stash will last a decade, having added a Gannet T.5 and Nimrod AEW3 today. Oh dear........

• Like 2

Great build on the Shack, WV908! Now a Lancster Mk.10AR - that's one you need to move to the front of the queue! I do have one question - the areas between the spars on the inside of the inner nacelles, I suppose these should be hollowed out, but what's outside of them, red fuel tanks? That's an open question for anyone out there.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Hi Jason / Learstang,

Cheers, glad you like her. The side walls of the gear bays are solid, although they do have plenty of detail. I'll take some photos for you when I next get chance.

Cheers,

WV908

I'll have a think about that Lincoln and 10AR build, but not quite yet as I have three Lancasters to finish beforehand

• Like 1

Great build on the Shack, WV908! Now a Lancster Mk.10AR - that's one you need to move to the front of the queue! I do have one question - the areas between the spars on the inside of the inner nacelles, I suppose these should be hollowed out, but what's outside of them, red fuel tanks? That's an open question for anyone out there.

Regards,

Jason

On the inboard side, a solid sheet wing rib, painted white like the bay. On the outboard side, an oil tank, painted a colour similar to interior green.

• Like 2

Hi WV908

Beautiful job, interesting idea having the interior central unit then the 2 fuselage sides to add to it, new one to me.

Also all the different coloured interiors, such a shame they don't offer a flock wallpaper amongst the decals.

Cheers Pat

• Like 2